Ocean Forest for seedlings?

Re: ocean fkrest n seedlings?

Kabloom i never grow autos but i can say ive popped many seeds straigt into ocean forest.I have gotten into many a debate recently.So its just my experience that works with the strains im growing.I pulled this off google:

Both perlite and vermiculite are great at retaining water, but vermiculite retains much more water and offers a little less aeration than perlite. Vermiculite literally acts as a sponge that will retain water to the point of saturation. Perlite holds water by having a large amount of surface area within the nooks and crevices of its vast pores. But being porous and made of volcanic glass it allows excess water to drain much more readily than vermiculite.

ive done the same routine for 3 years with mutiple strains with the same water and nutes.I also am good friends with the local hydro guy and all his customers say they plant directly in ocean forest without problems.I use ocean forest perlite worm casting and a little extra lime.3to1 for the perlite is fine perlite has no nutes it just helps provide aeration so the soil doesnt stay wet.ocean forest has perlite in it so i wouldnt go too heavy but you cant put too much in so dont be scared!

ocean forest has a runoff ppm of 1500 ppm happy frog has a runoff of 1250 straight out the bag..Very hot but again we are working with organics so they dont burn!!!

I see why you get into "many a debate"... Ocean Forest is capable of frying seedlings to death and causing nutrient lockouts at the end due to a poor mix of nutrients and an overdose of nitrogen. Foxfarm has a seedling medium called Light Warrior.

I've read that fox farms ocean forest is a preferred soil for our purposes , but it maybbe too "hot" for seedlings.. Seen as I will be starting with a auto strain , how would I go from seedling to final pot using the ocean forest? Also what is the difference between vermiculite & pearlite? Thank again guys/gals!!!
I have often gone straight into ocean forest direct from germination with no problems at all. I usually add perlite to the FFOF at the rate of about 4 parts soil to 1 part perlite. Good Luck!

whatever it works for me and has countless times.And is working right now.Why dont you try it out?If you havent tried it dont knock it!its virtually impossible to say it doesnt work without trying it im not lying or providing info that isnt true. ask you local hydro guy.the store i go to sells bags of the stuff everyday and gets feedback..welcome.what happend to sowing your seed in fertile soil?

I have always used FFOF at all stages of growth. You can look at my link and see my girls when they were seedlings. Now I only use water for about three too four weeks. No need for nutes. Now I have started using 1/4 perlite. When I transplanted my seedlings I only used FFOF with no extra perlite. This next time around I am going to try 1/4 perlite mixed. Now all plants are diffrent so you will have to try on your own. I did FLO and Big Buds as seedlings and they had no problems. If you think it is a little to strong at the start you can run extra water and flush soil a bit to bring numbers down a little. Like I said for me I have not had to do any thing and no nutes needed for up to four weeks. Best of growing to you. Happy Growing To You All...:goodluck:

No problem. Any way I can help. I just say what I know And have done. I don't care what haters do. I am just a grower. Do what I can with what I have. I just had to take down all my grow set up and move it. So far I am half way set up again. Don't let the ass hole's in the world get to you. Just keep moving forward. As long as you love what your doing that's what matters. We will all make mistakes growing and we live and learn from them. We all may have our own ways of what we do but your way is what matters to you. Hope you have the best grow. Happy growing to you...

The ultimate potting soil—everything your plants need, in one bag. Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano, and sea-going fish and crab meal.

Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

It says to start with ocean forest ill take the manufactures word for it.The old addage of sow your seeds in fertile soil seems to be gaining some credibility.further more i know a corn farmer that lives next door and he applies manure and other goodies BEFORE he sows his seed ,I guess everyone including the manufacturer knows less then others...

light warrior

Light Warrior® is the ultimate grow medium for seed starting and transplanting. And it isn’t just a grow medium—we pack it with beneficial microbes to stimulate root growth and enhance fertilizer uptake, humic acid to help in seed germination, and earthworm castings to help plants thrive.

These soils are used for more then cannabis growing.im sure some veggies or herbs dont like such a hot soil mix.some people are on a budget and cannot justify buying a soil to start in. then a soil to veg Im sure light warrior will work as advertised and may help with germination.I was not discrediting that i was simply saying you get a little more for the same amount of money and you dont have to buy mutiple different bags.

Wow...

Thank for the input guys!! This is my first attempt at growing & I'm on somewhat of a budget so I really don't want to fry the $40 worth of seeds I just purchased , but I also want to start with a top quality soil because its obviously important.... Anyone have any experience transplanting autos in the ocean forest and if so what is the least stressful way of doing so? Thank again guys &toker dude.....Smoke 1 n Relax bro lol

Thank for the input guys!! This is my first attempt at growing & I'm on somewhat of a budget so I really don't want to fry the $40 worth of seeds I just purchased , but I also want to start with a top quality soil because its obviously important.... Anyone have any experience transplanting autos in the ocean forest and if so what is the least stressful way of doing so? Thank again guys &toker dude.....Smoke 1 n Relax bro lol

Auto or no auto I usually transplant twice. I use rooting plugs for seedlings. These are transplanted into 1 gallon pots when the roots show. They stay in that pot till a couple weeks before they are moved to bloom and are then planted in 5-7 gallon pots. At each transplant I water well before removing the plant... never had a problem with that.

I started my journal (link below) years ago using FF Ocean Forest. You can see how I evolved away from OF to Happy Frog and I no longer use FF nutrients. You are correct to be wary of killing your hard earned genetics.

No problem. Any way I can help. I just say what I know And have done. I don't care what haters do. I am just a grower. Do what I can with what I have. I just had to take down all my grow set up and move it. So far I am half way set up again. Don't let the ass hole's in the world get to you. Just keep moving forward. As long as you love what your doing that's what matters. We will all make mistakes growing and we live and learn from them. We all may have our own ways of what we do but your way is what matters to you. Hope you have the best grow. Happy growing to you...

I agree with this :cheesygrinsmiley:... provided that you are headed in the right direction.

I dunno ive heard ffof is hot for seedlings also but
I had an unknown seed pop in my mothers pot in ffof and its now in a cup with ffof
and it looks great all I do is give it tap water when its dry

lets all smoke some :ganjamon: and start fresh.I had plenty seeds pop out of the ground that i never thought would cannabis seems resilient i used to smoke dirt weed years ago and would sometimes throw the seeds out the back door,Days later id have plants poppin up,Ive let some grow and gotten females that go all the way through without nutes or any care at all.The smoke was nothing to write home about but it was better then herb it came from.i can say my local soil is pretty good and my well hits water in 15ft,so this may be a factor..

Back
Top Bottom