Sprouting seedling color

sf415guy

420 Member
Hey folks just wondering if you can help me regarding the color of my seedling just sprouting. I'm concerned because it's a light yellowish but a slight greenish color to it when usually it's a dark lush green. I initially germinated in paper towel and then planted it to a light soil, seedling starter soil. After 5 days nothing was happening so I took the seed out and put it in Fox farm Ocean Forest. Within a day this thing was growing fast and popping out the top of the soil. It's now the second day that it's popped out and I've never seen a seedling this type of light color before. Any thoughts as to why it might be like this? Photo attached

20230420_095648.jpg

It looks like a nitrogen problem, but would it happen so soon? The soil should have enough nutrients for the first few weeks.
Thanks for the reply. But I'm curious though, how could it be a nitrogen problem, it's in Fox farm ocean forest. Plenty of nitrogen in that. I'm baffled

I'm fairly new at this, so I'm. just spitballing. if it was two months later, I thin everyone would say nitrogen deficiency.

Let it go another two weeks. Let's see what happens.

Hey SF,

wow that’s very light in color. I’d be curious about what kind of light, what’s the wattage & spacing distance? Hopefully this is not light thru a window

The 2 round cotyledons are backup food source but hopefully the 2 jagged leaves will catch some rays soon. Otherwise she will fail to launch.

I’d be cautious on the water too, kinda suspect you are using spray mist but whatevs. Anyway damping off is a real possibility… not here to scare you but yeah getting water right can be a pain. A tiny seedling doesn’t need water every day, it does help to have humid enviro but do not cap it with plastic bottle / mini greenhouse deal.

what the seedling color is telling you is…. more food and pronto please! More food as in more light cuz photons is primary food for plants.

Hey SF,

wow that’s very light in color. I’d be curious about what kind of light, what’s the wattage & spacing distance? Hopefully this is not light thru a window

The 2 round cotyledons are backup food source but hopefully the 2 jagged leaves will catch some rays soon. Otherwise she will fail to launch.

I’d be cautious on the water too, kinda suspect you are using spray mist but whatevs. Anyway damping off is a real possibility… not here to scare you but yeah getting water right can be a pain. A tiny seedling doesn’t need water every day, it does help to have humid enviro but do not cap it with plastic bottle / mini greenhouse deal.

what the seedling color is telling you is…. more food and pronto please! More food as in more light cuz photons is primary food for plants.
Thanks for the response. But I'm curious to know though is, how can it be wanting more food as in light. She's only one day sprouted out of the soil. Look how tiny the leaves are. She came out of the soil this light in color. That's what I don't understand. There's also no way that it could be thirsty for nutrients because it's in Fox farm Ocean Forest. This is why I don't understand what could possibly be wrong with it.

added nutrients will burn her up right now.

tell us about your light situation please?

There are currently in excess of 27,000 known strain crosses of weed, each unique strain has multiple phenotype expressions…. the unique color response could be that particular phenotype reacting to its growing conditions… but typically yellow means hungry and since it’s tiny I would suspect light way before I would consider nutrients.

the 2 round cotyledons are back up food source but if the seedling doesnt get enough light to get started she will chew her own arms off, that is suck up the strength from her cotys while trying to launch.

also what’s your room temps? Rh?

gotta roll out for now but the crew will jump in

Thanks for the response. But I'm curious to know though is, how can it be wanting more food as in light. She's only one day sprouted out of the soil. Look how tiny the leaves are. She came out of the soil this light in color. That's what I don't understand. There's also no way that it could be thirsty for nutrients because it's in Fox farm Ocean Forest. This is why I don't understand what could possibly be wrong with it.
I have a different take than my good friend 013.

Give her 24 hours. I have had many seeds sprout yellow as Homer Simpson. It must be like plant jaundice. After 24 hours I see green.

Watch and wait. Less is always more, well I think it is. Plants often right themselves when left alone.

added nutrients will burn her up right now.

tell us about your light situation please?

There are currently in excess of 27,000 known strain crosses of weed, each unique strain has multiple phenotype expressions…. the unique color response could be that particular phenotype reacting to its growing conditions… but typically yellow means hungry and since it’s tiny I would suspect light way before I would consider nutrients.

the 2 round cotyledons are back up food source but if the seedling doesnt get enough light to get started she will chew her own arms off, that is suck up the strength from her cotys while trying to launch.

also what’s your room temps? Rh?

gotta roll out for now but the crew will jump in
Thanks for the response. Yeah I really don't know what it is. It's in Ocean Forest soil so it's getting plenty of nutes. It's also barely just been out of the soil for less than 24 hours sprouted. As it was coming up through the soil it was this color as well. I understand that different strains will have different characteristics, but I've never seen this before.

I have a different take than my good friend 013.

Give her 24 hours. I have had many seeds sprout yellow as Homer Simpson. It must be like plant jaundice. After 24 hours I see green.

Watch and wait. Less is always more, well I think it is. Plants often right themselves when left alone.
Thanks, I'm glad you've experienced this before because it makes me feel a lot better I'm not the only one, lol. The strain is ethos, Grandpa stash, and as you know those seeds ain't cheap, lol. ....Thanks

It was probably already getting ready to emerge when you switched the soil - so it spent some extra time getting above the surface ...... they don't usually come out with the jagged leaves already is why I think this is what happened. I agree with @Trala that it will be fine once it gets some more light onboard.

It was probably already getting ready to emerge when you switched the soil - so it spent some extra time getting above the surface ...... they don't usually come out with the jagged leaves already is why I think this is what happened. I agree with @Trala that it will be fine once it gets some more light onboard.
Omg hello :)

I was literally stalking you yesterday(not in a weird way) after you told someone you’re not a bloke. And with a bit of sass too. I live for sass. I’m not a bloke either.

I tried to find a journal to follow but came up empty.

You got a flower patch cooking?

Omg hello :)

I was literally stalking you yesterday(not in a weird way) after you told someone you’re not a bloke. And with a bit of sass too. I live for sass. I’m not a bloke either.

I tried to find a journal to follow but came up empty.

You got a flower patch cooking?
I do have a few plants, but I decided I'm not good at journaling - I'm sort of chaotic, and you guys are all so neat and regulated, I just feel like nothing I do is anything anyone wants to see :D

I do have a few plants, but I decided I'm not good at journaling - I'm sort of chaotic, and you guys are all so neat and regulated, I just feel like nothing I do is anything anyone wants to see :D
Well I want to see!

I’m desperate to connect with a lady grower.

In real life I’m totally a girls girl. And I don’t mind if you are messy. I mean sure I’ll silently judge you, but I can get past it. Look I prolly won’t, but I’ll try!

Lolling.

I was thinking similar. I have had seeds sprout around my bedtime and they will be yellow, almost white, by the time I check them in the morning. I move them to vegetation area where they will be under the lights and within hours the green has shown up and they are on their way.

It does happen every now and then that a seedling does not respond to the light, never turns green and fails to recover but it is rare.

@sf415guy, any change in your seedling yet?

Thanks for responding. It's been a few days since I made this post and it has grown a little bit more. With two days of plenty of sunlight you are absolutely correct. It's turned green and hopefully will continue to flourish. Thank you for your input

Thanks for responding. It's been a few days since I made this post and it has grown a little bit more. With two days of plenty of sunlight you are absolutely correct. It's turned green and hopefully will continue to flourish. Thank you for your input
I’m so pleased for you :)

I hope you start a journal. I’d love to watch what she evolves into. We’re like Pokémon masters!

Lolling!

Hi i had a seedling that was bright green not yellow but it stayed like it the whole grow it was a autoflower i fed it the same as my photoperiod it ended up huge here's a pic the cotyledons was normal and the new growth was almost yellow
WP_20220908_15_47_25_Pro - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom