Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Just searched GrowStealth and StealthGrow. Holy crap! Sure looks like one of them is trying to piggy back on the reputation of the other. Even the logos are similar. If I owned GrowStealth I would be pissed! I would be talking to a lawyer and I woud be suing (if possible). Thanks for pointing that out Bassman. Still don't know what I'm going to do. Probably CFLs until the dust settles a bit more on the LED scene. Right now the best appears to be the Advanced LED, but considering the price of the individual LEDs and optical lenses, they are really overpriced. If I could find a reasonably priced massive aluminium heatsink, I would consider building my own (I can get the LEDs and optics for a reasonable price). DOn't really want to use a small heatsink with massive/noisy fans.

Borghead

Really don't want to use HPS, HID or MH. So I have been thinking about CFLs (buying a whole bunch of 26 Watts, 14 - 18 of them)

Ouch, 18 26-watt CFLs is 468 watts. That's about 10 more watts than my Lumatek 400-watt ballast draws on "SuperLumen" (10% overdrive). And a little more heat & a little less light. Guess it cost you less to buy them and the sockets & stuff than the $200 I spent on the ballast, a Lumatek-branded HPS bulb, and a cheap reflector, though. And if you're only growing in four square feet, such a setup would be overkill anyway, unless you turned it down to its 250-watt setting (and that would still be kind of "warm and bright," for the space. Not extremely so, but you'd want a fan for sure).

So now comes the hard part. Who to buy from? One of the 420 sponsers?

Several of our LED-selling sponsors' panels are being - or have been - used in grow journals here. You can use the site's search function (click on the Forums link at the top left of any page here) and look for informative threads. It allows you to type a keyword (such as the name of a sponsor) and highlight the forum you want the search to be confined to - and you can have it automatically search in "daughter forums" (so you can highlight the Journals section and the search will cover the Current, Completed, and Abandoned Journals forums together.

You'll be able to see how at least some of the panels perform and how their users like(d) them.

Just searched GrowStealth and StealthGrow. Holy crap! Sure looks like one of them is trying to piggy back on the reputation of the other. Even the logos are similar. If I owned GrowStealth I would be pissed! I would be talking to a lawyer and I woud be suing (if possible). Thanks for pointing that out Bassman. Still don't know what I'm going to do. Probably CFLs until the dust settles a bit more on the LED scene. Right now the best appears to be the Advanced LED, but considering the price of the individual LEDs and optical lenses, they are really overpriced. If I could find a reasonably priced massive aluminium heatsink, I would consider building my own (I can get the LEDs and optics for a reasonable price). DOn't really want to use a small heatsink with massive/noisy fans.

Borghead

I love my GS300 Pro-Bloom. I also will love my DS-200's. Yes, I ordered a pair.

:bongrip: - JZ

G'day All,

:welcome: Borghead,
I'm a relative newbie to LED growing, and had the same problem when I started researching LED's, so much info it's confusing. I started with a 90 watt UFO, in a 2'x3' wardrobe. Sweet for vegging, but struggled with flowering. Then 50% of the LED's failed during flowering. Still getting the royal runaround from the supplier, their latest, after I mentioned Hosebombers probable causes to them, was that "I do the repairs myself."
I just bought a GS300Q, from GrowStealth. It is very quiet, considering the 6 fans, the heat output is on the low side of moderate, and WOW!, is it bright.
I can't remember where/who, but I am sure in my search, at least 1 supplier was offering a UFO style light with 90x3watt LED'S. Maybe someone else (with better cognitive retention) on this forum has seen them too. In my new to LED's opinion, that would be a far better option than cfl's. Or 2 90 watt_ers might be the way to go considering your space restrictions.

Regards, and good luck,

Milly.

Hiya tortured ...

Yes, I goofed. Originally I was considering using 15W CFLs (18 x 15 Watt = 270 Watts). But when I compared the lumens per watt, the 26W were higher. I would only need 10 and 8 fewer sockets.

Yes I have searched the forums extensively. I have read all of SteveHman's LED grows ( it did take me close to a week - some of those journals are long...). Unfortunately only one or two were comparison grows (two different types of LED lights). I will keep reading and waiting..

Milly, can't find anything along the line of 90x3w UFO. Besides, many sites and threads suggest avoiding the UFOs. I would love to buy a GS300Q, but alas, it's not in my price range, at all. I have seen some decent grow journals using CFLs (mixing the 2700K and 6500K for flowering and vegging). I just want to able to grow some decent plants for personal. It's been getting harder to find as I age, most of my old friends no longer supply or partake. My last supplier was very young and I was shocked to see him at my grandson's school play. It turns out that his younger brother was also in the play. I really have to start growing my own.

Hey Steve I have a 2' x 4' x 5' tent and I was considering purchasing some Advanced led's. I grow outdoor so I only use my tent during the off season. I would only be growing 6-8 plants with no veg time in 2L's or small square containers so I don't even think that would be close to using up the whole tent. My question is would you go for 2 100w diamond units or 1 200w? I just thought maybe the 2 100w's would give a little bit better footprint and if one fails I would still have the other. It is only about $50 more for the 2 100w's so whats your opinion?

Hey Steve I have a 2' x 4' x 5' tent and I was considering purchasing some Advanced led's. I grow outdoor so I only use my tent during the off season. I would only be growing 6-8 plants with no veg time in 2L's or small square containers so I don't even think that would be close to using up the whole tent. My question is would you go for 2 100w diamond units or 1 200w? I just thought maybe the 2 100w's would give a little bit better footprint and if one fails I would still have the other. It is only about $50 more for the 2 100w's so whats your opinion?

I like to use a 200 for each 2x2 square, the 100 will work but is only giving you 25w per sqft, the 200s are 50w per sqft. My sweet spot is 40. Also the 200 is a little wider helping spread out the light. If you can't afford to pick up two, get one initially and then another once funds are available.

An alternative if you are going to do a perpetual harvest, put a 100 on one side and a 200 on the other and move the plants from the 100 side to the 200 side as they mature, just pushing them down the assembly line.

Thank you that is very helpful. I think I will get a DS100 and pair it with my 150HPS until I can afford another, then I can decide on another DS100 and drop the 150HPS in the middle of the two DS100's or get a DS200 and use the assembly line as they mature

I saw your specs and the 100 is only 0.5" shorter and 3" thinner, while the coverage is 1.5' x 2.5'.

Compared to the 200 which has a coverage of 2' x 3'

Wouldn't spacing two 100's closely give you a larger footprint using the third light effect?

My tent is 22.5" x 51.5" x 48.5" and I'm using 2 x 200's. Kyle at Advanced said I could get by with 2 x 100's, but recommended the 200's for a better core coverage on my footprint. Seeing how yours is roughly the same dimension, if you're strapped on cash, I'd opt for the 2 x 100's.

My tent is 22.5" x 51.5" x 48.5" and I'm using 2 x 200's. Kyle at Advanced said I could get by with 2 x 100's, but recommended the 200's for a better core coverage on my footprint. Seeing how yours is roughly the same dimension, if you're strapped on cash, I'd opt for the 2 x 100's.

That really helps :thanks:

Maybe I should send kyle an E-mail, I've seen a few people say he is really friendly and I guess it would be better then bugging you guys :blalol:

I am strapped on cash, but I'm working on improving and refining my grow techniques so I want to be sure that new equipment is an "improvement" and not a waste of money. I definitely don't want to be questioning my equipment if anything unplanned happens.

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it :peace:

how many watts does the 300w quantam led from grow stealth put out?? on the website it says it matches a 600wt hps.. also how many sq ft can i get with this light in flowering???

how many watts does the 300w quantam led from grow stealth put out?? on the website it says it matches a 600wt hps.. also how many sq ft can i get with this light in flowering???

Well, having never grown under anything but LEDs, I can't speculate on how the GS300 does against a 600W hps, but it did do this in a quicky trial run:

Part_Deux_-_184.jpg
Part_Deux_-_184.jpg
SnapShot8.jpg
Part_Deux_-_157.jpg
Part_Deux_-_155.jpg
Part_Deux_-_169.jpg

Pretty much all the proof I needed.

If the manufacturer/seller can't tell you how many watts it consumes, don't buy it. Watts consumed will be less than the "size" of the light.... Take the watts consumed and divide by 40 to get an idea of sq ft coverage.

If the manufacturer/seller can't tell you how many watts it consumes, don't buy it. Watts consumed will be less than the "size" of the light.... Take the watts consumed and divide by 40 to get an idea of sq ft coverage.

Directly from Donnie's website page for the GS300:

LED Qty: 144
LED Type: 3W Single Chip
LED Wattage: 432 (144 x 3)
Actual Power Draw: 240 Watts
Amperage Draw: 2.2A @ 110V, 1.1A @ 220V
Lifespan: 50,000 - 100,000 hours
Spectrum: 5-band 420-490nm, 510-540nm, 620-690nm
Dimensions: 17.5" x 11" x 3"
Coverage Area: 2.25' x 3.25'

So you see monsterkilla, if you actually go to the websites of the sponsors, and read, you can find the information you requested. Also, I'd just call Donnie if you want direct answers - he's a straight shooter just like Kyle for Advanced. Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, but I'm tired of doing research for everyone else; I do enough of that shit at work as it is.

I think I will get a DS100 and pair it with my 150HPS

I'd be interested in seeing how the DS100 performs in comparison to a 150-watt HPS. The 150-watt fixture costs, what? Around $68?

I'd be interested in seeing how the DS100 performs in comparison to a 150-watt HPS. The 150-watt fixture costs, what? Around $68?

I may be willing to do a comparison grow somewhere down the line. If I ever do I will pm you the link

Pretty much, I believe I found mine for $66 but it came out to about $70 w/shipping. I haven't flowered with it yet but Vegging is a slow go, I think the LED will be a huge improvement in that area. It gets pretty hot, enough that I know if I get any larger HPS it must be air cooled. I have a fan blowing across the bulb and ballast and all times and it keeps temps decent.

I may be willing to do a comparison grow somewhere down the line. If I ever do I will pm you the link

Pretty much, I believe I found mine for $66 but it came out to about $70 w/shipping. I haven't flowered with it yet but Vegging is a slow go, I think the LED will be a huge improvement in that area. It gets pretty hot, enough that I know if I get any larger HPS it must be air cooled. I have a fan blowing across the bulb and ballast and all times and it keeps temps decent.

That will always be the case with any incandescent fixture. They're not as efficient at converting electrical power to light energy. Much is wasted in the conversion and emitted as infrared (or as you call it, heat). LED's are much more efficient at this conversion, hence less is lost as heat.

That will always be the case with any incandescent fixture. They're not as efficient at converting electrical power to light energy. Much is wasted in the conversion and emitted as infrared (or as you call it, heat). LED's are much more efficient at this conversion, hence less is lost as heat.

Thanks for breaking that down. That is why I like the idea of LED's. Less power, Less heat, while still achieving the same if not better results! Goldbud's and Stevehman's journals really persuaded me on advanced LED's. I was amazed to see Steve getting over a gram per watt, and Goldbud harvested 250 grams in a 4' x 4' area using 4x DS100's.

Not to mention that smaller/cheaper HID fixtures tend to have C&C ballasts - and have them located inside the fixture. So it produces a lot of heat and does so directly in the GR instead of next door. The power factor on it is probably low, too (if you plug it into a Kill-O-Watt type device, the HPS will probably make it "think" that the light is using twice the electricity that it does, lol). That can be modified but I cannot remember how to do it. Install a capacitor, but I don't remember what rating cap (50-55 microfarad?) you'd need for that application or where it goes. IIRC, it goes between the line and common wires, but I wouldn't trust my memory (I certainly don't). More important is to remote the ballast to get it out of your GR. The low PF would only likely be adding heat if your circuit is pretty loaded and then it'd be in the form of wires getting hot, lol.

Hey Steve, Awesome, awesome forum. Lot's of transparency around here.

I just registered by I've been lurking for months. I've done so much research I'm spent. I was even considering trying to find manufacturers in China and ordering direct just to not deal with the horror stories of these business owners.

After almost going with the Magnum Plus, I found Advanced and really dug deep. NO HORROR STORIES....

Since you seem to have a good relationship with them and have done tests, I wanted to ask you a question.

I searched and searched the forum and didn't really see the question asked, and I trust your opinion so I'll ask.....
By opinion only....what do you prefer?

The Extreme line or the Diamond line? I'm not asking which you think is better, but what do you prefer?

I'm growing in 2x3 foot tents (scrogs) and know I want to stick around the 360w Extreme line or possibly the 400w Diamond line. Based off of what you've handled, which do you like more?

Back
Top Bottom