Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Anyone heard of California light works, solar storm? Just saw them in a mag. Their site is pretty good, they say they use 5 watt chips. Pretty spendy for under 800 watts.

the 800w looks to be driven @ 3.8w per chip.

Interesting specs to a degree.

I'm not convinced the 200w cover 3x3 area. Not well any ways.

I would think about 4 x 200w at like $400 per but the par at 18" is so low, I think you could basically forget lower section bud growth. Probably not bad for like liter size hempy/scrog though. I just can't wrap my head around them being good for a big plant.

They might be good. Hard to say. I'm just not real convinced.

That must have qualified as the deal of the century, lol. Free?

Please do. I for one would be interested in your results. As you did not purchase them new from "her," there is no danger of you asking for your money back (and therefore being threatened with being turned in to your local law enforcement authority for (possibly) growing cannabis), so you ought to be safe. As to whether or not you will ultimately receive satisfaction... Who can say?

In any event, good luck with your grow. May you have bountiful harvests!

I've seen references to this episode with the "girl" but can't seem to find first person info. The lengths she went to defend her lights was epic so she must be a piece of work.

Thanks for the reply, Tortured.

Coverage for my tent?

I'd like to direct this to SteveHMan, as he's the resident Advanced LED user:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sir:

My tent interior is 36" x 54", and I'd like to get core coverage as much as possible, and looking at the specs, seems I could go with either (3) - 200W or (2) x 300W units, and get roughly the same coverage - you see any advantage going one scenario vs. the other?

Your adoring brother in LED's,

:adore:
Jozo-Sha
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Steve will say to go w/ 3 of the 200's or 3 of the 300's for the multipoint sources. More small ones is better w/ LED.....36" is pretty wide for a 200. For money reasons, start w/ 2 300's and add a 3rd later.

DS200 3ft x 3.5ft 2.5ft x 3ft (100) 3w High Output LEDs (single chip) 185w
DS300 3.5ft x 4ft 3ft x 3ft (150) 3w High Output LEDs (single chip) 275w

So you pretty much know you should go with DS300's as they can actually cover your 36in depth. Solved.

Well, the 200's core is 2.5' x 3' (30" x 36"), so 3 x 200's set in my tent:

[] [] [] = would cover 30" x 3' = 90" by 36" right?

then 2 x 300's with their core of 3' x 3'

[] [] = would cover 36" by (2 x 36") 72" right?

Here is another option for the Forum members for $599 - the G8-340
340 Watt LED Grow Light | Replace 600 Watt MH/HPS System by G8LED | Dorm Grow
Core coverage is 42" x 42" , so it will more than adequately cover a 3'x3' grow area.

A couple of questions for you on this.
1) Do you really believe that less than 22 watts per square foot can grow dense buds?

2) How does a 16 x 9 led rectangular panel produce a 3.5' x 3.5' square footprint without the use of optical modifiers? I could be wrong, but I have yet to see a led manufactured with a non-lambertain pattern other than side emitters and secondary optics.

DormGrow.com,

I'd be more than glad to test your LED out against the GS300 after my current grow, it's a great way to show people here that your product can produce and is worth the monetary investment.

DormGrow.com,

I'd be more than glad to test your LED out against the GS300 after my current grow, it's a great way to show people here that your product can produce and is worth the monetary investment.

The GS300 and G8-340 are similar grow lights. They both have 144 x 3Watt diodes and come in a similar housing unit. The diode spectrum formulations are somewhat different in that the G8-340 covers a wider spectra. The GS300 is priced at $649 and the G8-340 at $599.

300W Quantum LED Grow Light | Grow Stealth LED | 3W LED Grow Lights

A side by side comparison grow would be interesting. Contact us at info@dormgrow.com if you would like to do a test grow.

The GS300 and G8-340 are similar grow lights. They both have 144 x 3Watt diodes and come in a similar housing unit. The diode spectrum formulations are somewhat different in that the G8-340 covers a wider spectra. The GS300 is priced at $649 and the G8-340 at $599.

300W Quantum LED Grow Light | Grow Stealth LED | 3W LED Grow Lights

A side by side comparison grow would be interesting. Contact us at info@dormgrow.com if you would like to do a test grow.

I've emailed you regarding this. Hope to hear from you, as the more test grows we have to look at, and reviews of products to read, the better educated our members are, and the cream of the crop, LEDwise, will be quite evident. :Namaste: and thank you for your sponsorship here at 420 Magazine! :thanks:

:bongrip: - JZ

Soichiro Honda used to say "Racing improves the breed", many decades ago. And IMO, the more high quality products we have on the market from which to choose, the better. :thumb:

Hi to all..

A somewhat noobie here. I haven't done a grow in close to 30 years and boy, have things changed. Back then I used HPS with an ebb and flow system. It worked like a charm. However, two sets of kids sure put a damper on my growing and now that they are all out of the house (finally) I want to start growing again.

Space is at a premium (no suchthing as a spare bedroom) so I will be doing my grow in the basement (should help keeping everything cool in the summer and warm in the winter - I live in Canada). I have decided to go with a DIY DWC (thanks Stevehman your grow journals are inspiring, and Tulip, who I first started following you on RIU, was so happy to find you on 420). Really don't want to use HPS, HID or MH. So I have been thinking about CFLs (buying a whole bunch of 26 Watts, 14 - 18 of them) to cover a 2'x2' grow area. The other option is to go with LED (and that's why I'm reading this thread with great interest). I figure a 300W LED (drawing 195 - 225 watts) would suffice. So now comes the hard part. Who to buy from? One of the 420 sponsers? There is Stealth Grow, Dorm Grow, Advanced LED etc. They all promise different coverage, spectrums etc.. And the prices? Wow, I'm in the wrong business.

So down to brass tacks. I have a limited income (hope to retire in 4 years) and I fork out over 40% of it to an ex-wife. This means that money is tight but you can't put a price on freedom and peace of mind. I have read extensively on 3 watt vs 1 watt LEDs, various spectrum and noisy fans on various lights. The argument about "American" made LEDs vs. other manufacturers is a moot point as most of the "American" LEDs (especially the non-white) are not made in "America". As stated in this thread, they are "American" branded.

I looked at "eshine" and was not impressed with what they had to offer. Sounded like a recipe for disaster, especially if something went wrong with them (imagine the LED light dying during the middle of a grow and having to wait a month or two to get it repaired in China). The other american made lights offer 2 - 3 year warrenties, but you have to ship the whole unit back.

However, I have run across a vendor that has an interesting slant on warrenty repairs. Here's a quote from their site (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, if not I'm sure a moderator will delete it?). After witnessing all this nonsense, we decided to take it upon ourselves to offer LEDs at reasonable prices with an unbeatable warranty, using the spectrum and ratio we found to work best. We just modified the insides of the lights to make them more user friendly. One thing in particular we did, was made modular circuit boards that take 25 LEDs each (rather 1 large circuit board for the entire fixture), and has a quick connect wire harness feature. And 1 circuit board goes to 1 power supply. So if an LED or power supply fails, the rest of the unit stays in operation while we'll send you a replacement for totally free as long you own the light. That's right, lifetime warranty. The repairs are simple to do, and only needs a standard screwdriver and about 15 minutes of your time.

I really like this idea, 75% of my light still running until I get my replacement part. Awesome. The lights are 13 spectrum based (don't know if I need that much, they claim that I do - lol), however, I have the option of selecting my own spectrum and ratios and optional optical 55, 60, 80, and 90 degree lenses. Their prices are phenomenal ($377 for a 100x3watt, 295 watt draw). They seem to be a new company (Google does not bring up a whole lot on them).

The company is called Area 51 lighting. 4 guys from Virginia, who have the units manufactured in China and dropshipped for free to America and Canada. The only information I have found about them on 420 is a grow journal by 2001vettez06 that has 2 entries and some nice pics, but only of fully grown plants.

So the big question is, has anybody heard anything about this company (good, bad or indifferent)? Any feed back would be really welcome.

Thanks borghead.

Just wanted to jump in and let ya know borghead...It's GROWSTEALTH, NOT stealth grow. Two ENTIRELY different companies and way huge difference in business approach.

Took a quick looky lew at area 51, looks like the are buying someones light and rebranding, or offering rebrand for a re-reseller. I've got no opinion from the website as to quality/value.

Good luck on your return to growing.

They are a very new company and there is almost no info about them other than a few new post talking about their cheap prices. Their design does not seem modular from the models they show for sale on their site. At least they are being up front about the fact that they drop ship. Honestly, to me it appears that they are simple offering the products that eshine or one of the other Chinese manufactures offer with a little mark-up. They allow you to customize because the manufacturer allows them to. Them allowing you to change the blend would suggest that they have either not tested their lights or are unsure that they have the correct spectrum.

Well stated Hose.

That also means they could easily suggest no results are gtd because "you chose" the config.

I don't mean to say anyone has gtd results. Just that the above guys could be leaving a pretty huge "out" to any complaints of growing results.

Back
Top Bottom