Strain Advice For A Desert Rat

markyates

420 Member
Hi Everyone,

I have a question…

I’m looking for advice on “strains”…

I live just South of Carson City Nevada, at the bottom of the Eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada Range. The USDA hardiness zone is 6-B and it is basically sagebrush/desert…

Hot and dry in the Summer with daytime averages of 90° and nighttime averages of 48°. It is not unusual to see days over 100°.

I want to grow a strain of cannabis outdoors in 50 gallon fabric pots; that will thrive in my climate, and also produces a high that is the energetic, clean the whole house and get shit done kind. I don’t want to lay “in-da-couch” lol!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would be very grateful for any help, Thank you 🙏🏼

Welcome to the Forum! I'd start by Googling "High altitude strains of marijuana" and/or "Hot dry weather strain of marijuana", you'll get a bunch to choose from. In Carson City at 4800 ft. elevation the hardest part is the cool nights, which can become freezing nights by Mid-late September. I grew in Truckee one summer (almost 7000 Ft.) and the temp swings were even more extreme (28-100 degrees in a 24 hour period), and 17-40% rh. You also want to look for a strain what is an early finisher, cause it can start snowing in early October. Best of luck!!! The one advantage to growing at altitude is you get a lot more UV light.

Thank you so much!
Yes, according to the growing conditions in this area, the threat of frost never subsides.
I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice 😁👍🏼

Breeder Ace Seeds has equatorial and other landrace sativas from many regions, along with some indica strains. They also have crosses of same. Might not be a bad idea to email, describing your climate (and latitude), and asking which strains they suggest. Or at least browse their website, reading each description with an eye towards where each strain originated, comparing the climate of those locations to your own.

Then when you've picked out a few that seem like a good fit, buy them from one of the forum's sponsors that carry Ace Seeds' strains, of course ;).

Ace Seeds also has a web page that has a lengthy list of "R&D strains," crosses that they produce in low numbers and have not yet decided whether to produce/sell on a regular basis. You could possibly find a jewel there.

I agree on going with some Ace Seeds strains. Being landrace I would think they would handle the heat a little better but the Sativas would take a long time to finish, but you probably have the right environment to do so outside for a late harvest.

Yes, some strains in their collection have relatively long flowering times (I've just looked at one that stated up to 25 weeks).

In addition to the "high desert" strains, I wonder whether something from a more tropical climate would survive, IF the OP set up misting(?) nozzles around the plant, on a timer, to hit them with a bit of water throughout the day? If there's regular wind, it'll evaporate the moisture and provide an immediate cooling effect. If it's a calm day, well, many of those strains are resistant to mold.

Hey @markyates that sounds fun! You should check out our sponsor @Herbies Seeds I've used them quite a few times. They have a selection of the best strains to grow in desert climate! Check this out yo!

oh that Godzilla Glue would make an amazing tree.

I don't know how much money you want to spend, or how complicated you want to make the thing... But in theory, you could bury a relatively large reservoir (I'd go with at least 50 gallons, lol), install an adequate reservoir chiller to keep the nutrient solution in the comfort zone, provide lots and lots and LOTS of aeration in order to maintain a high level of dissolved oxygen in the nutrient solution... and grow, depending on strain, a very large plant that would be capable of yielding 4+ pounds.

For something like that, strain selection would be less important (but still important ;) ). However, midway through the flowering period, such a plant - in such an environment - would be likely to transpire 25 gallons of moisture during an average day, possibly more. You'd really want to be able to constantly monitor the level of nutrient solution in the reservoir. At the very least, by installing a tube with a float in it, but I'd hope that would be your "backup" monitor, and that you'd have some sort of automated monitor with alarm function as the primary means. And you'd need to realize that your plant - whatever its size - would go through water at a greater rate, in relation to the rate at which it consumed nutrients. In other words, you'd want to "go light" when mixing the nutrient solution. "Constant monitoring" devices are also available for EC. Automated pH monitor/adjustment ones are, too, and even automated nutrient dosers. They do cost "a bit," of course, being (generally) of a higher quality than the handheld stuff that we tend to buy.

Yes, people do the hydroponic "thing" outdoors, too. Usually, it's some sort of food crop, but that's simply preference. Various forms of hydroponics are used, just like indoors - but in a desert, I'd go with DWC, and bury the reservoir. And use some sort of UPS (uninterruptable power supply - battery and "brain") to ensure that the aeration devices, at least, continue to work 24 hours per day, regardless of possible mains electric failures. Oh, and I'd be sure to have a chainsaw standing by for harvest day ;).

I would direct you to The Real Seed Company and their selection of indica strains. Grown in high desert climates like the Himalayas or the middle east they are used to dry conditions and the heat and cold. You won't need to spend $100 on each seed either.

I would direct you to The Real Seed Company and their selection of indica strains. Grown in high desert climates like the Himalayas or the middle east they are used to dry conditions and the heat and cold. You won't need to spend $100 on each seed either.
Why limit yourself to only Indica strains? Doesn’t Africa have many Sativas that are used to a hot and dry climate? CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

hulkberry, green crack, royal madre are three sativa doms that do well in northern climates. there are also a pile of crosses with their genetics. RQS used to have a list of strains for differing climates.

it's true that most northern climate strains are going to be indica dom. think of northern lights, but there are plies of sativa dom northern hybrids as well. skunk being one.

Back
Top Bottom