Sumloud's First Grow - 2 x 300W LED - Indoor - SCROG - 2 x AK48 - 1 x NL - 1 x BG

sumloud

Hello everybody, first time posting a grow journal here and first time growing a plant of any kind. After reading through this forum and others until my eyes bled, I finally decided to go out and get started growing. I will be going from seed and documenting my trials and tribulations along the way. With so many different opinions on how to germinate, plant and grow I am going to try a variety of different methods along the way simultaneously to hopefully see what works and what doesn't. Feel free to ask any questions and of course provide any advice necessary.

First off, let's talk about setup. I'm in an apartment with no budget for expansion other than my closet.

Space: Growlab GL60 Tent (2x2x6)
Ventilation 1 4" duct fan (temps 78-81 lights on)
Lighting: 1x Marshydro 300W LED (seedlings), 2x Marshydro 300W LED (veg & flower)
Nutrient Plans: KISS
Medium: FFOF, Perlite
Watering: Distilled
Seeds: 2x Nirvana AK48, 1x RQS Northern Lights, 1x HSO Bubba's Gift (all feminized)
Gadgets: pH meter, temp/humidity monitor

Progress:

Today, 2/1, I'm about a week and half from seed on the Northern Lights and Bubba's Gift. I had been hearing so many different responses as to how to germinate, and decided to go with the water cup method. First thing I did was attempt to germ the free seeds that came along in some tap water. Left them in a clear glass in a kitchen cabinet to do their thing. All sank and started to pop, so I figured I was on the right track with this method. Thinking about how potentially foul our tap water is here, I decided to switch to distilled and to not get fancy too quickly, not adjust pH. Now that my lights had arrived and the tent was warm, I did my first batch of seeds (NL & BG) in a coffee cup, plate on top under the lights to stay warm. These popped quicker and showed good tap roots. Both were planted tap root UP to see how this method worked in soaked & squeezed Rapid Rooters and put under the light (~30") with no dome.

Having no intentions of ever seeing my seeds from Nirvana, I figured the NL and BG were going to be the only plants in my garden. However, a couple days went by and finally they arrived. I was quick to germ them in distilled using the same method but planted them tap root DOWN to observe any differences.

Here are the results. In terms of observed differences, I do notice that the tap root up took another day or so to make the U-turn rather than the tap root down seeds that popped right up after a day or two. The Ak48's (tap root down), also seem to be stretching a bit farther than the NL (tap root up) has. Not sure if this is a strain difference or due to tap root direction.

RQS Northern Lights, 7 days from planting germ'd seed in Rapid Rooter
A1.png

1 of 2 Nirvana AK48's, 3 days from planting germ'd seed in Rapid Rooter
B3.png

Now here is my first potential amateur mistake. After a few days with no sprout out of the NL and BG seeds, I grew impatient and weary that maybe I plugged the rapid rooter too hard. I gently pulled some of the plug off the BG seed, just to find out it was doing its thing. I did at this point have the taproot exposed to LED for a few seconds. Not sure if this made a difference, but after a few days the NL was sprouted and BG had no movement to show. With the AK48's planted and an ideal number of plants for this grow being 2-3, I decided to give up on the BG and take another peak down there to see what happened. Turns out the plant had shed its husk and started growing beneath the surface of the rapid rooter. I decided to tear the rapid rooter and get her above ground to see some light. So far, she is looking alive after 2 days above ground and her first leaves are sprouting and trying to turn towards the light. Any advice here would be helpful.

HSO Bubba's Gift, 2 days after brought above ground
C2.png

Well, sorry for the blocks of text. Wanted to get everyone up to speed on how the germination went and also provide some content for future growers who had the same questions as me. I will be updating this log frequently and will gladly welcome any input, advice or questions. Thanks!

Re: Sumloud's First Grow - 2x 300W LED - Indoor - SCROG - 2x AK48, 1x NL, 1x BG - See

Well that was fast...

Mistake #2: Foliar fed with lights on. First time growing a plant, thought to myself a few sprays shouldn't be bad. This burnt up the leaves a bit on the AK48, as you can start to see in the picture in post #1. I raised my lights up a few inches to lower the intensity and will stop foliar feeding from here out.

On average, how long does it take for burnt leaves to recover? Shouldn't have any lasting damage from this, should I?

Re: Sumloud's First Grow - 2x 300W LED - Indoor - SCROG - 2x AK48, 1x NL, 1x BG - See

No experience with lights and burn since I'm on my first grow myself, but I'll be sticking around if you don't mind.

A very kind soul has purchased seeds for me and one of them is the Bubba's Gift, so I'm quite interested to see how it grows.

From one first timer to another, may your mistakes be little and your bud be strong!

No experience with lights and burn since I'm on my first grow myself, but I'll be sticking around if you don't mind.

A very kind soul has purchased seeds for me and one of them is the Bubba's Gift, so I'm quite interested to see how it grows.

From one first timer to another, may your mistakes be little and your bud be strong!

Thanks man! I was real hyped when I took a look at the strain online; Bubba's Gift looks awesome. Desperately trying to save it and looks so far like it should have a chance.

Welcome to the world of growing. I'm currently on my third grow. And my setup is different, but growing is still growing.
You should put the tap root down, its a root they are meant to go down. They are looking good so far, but with four plants and a 2x2 tent you may run out of room. This is what my first grow looked like with 5 plants in a 4x4 tent.
P5194639.JPG

I have room for 6 but one died early. You should also do some training or you might have height problems also. Good luck, I will follow your grow.

Welcome to the world of growing. I'm currently on my third grow. And my setup is different, but growing is still growing.
You should put the tap root down, its a root they are meant to go down. They are looking good so far, but with four plants and a 2x2 tent you may run out of room. This is what my first grow looked like with 5 plants in a 4x4 tent.
P5194639.JPG

I have room for 6 but one died early. You should also do some training or you might have height problems also. Good luck, I will follow your grow.

Thanks for the input, your garden looks great!!! I don't plan on keeping 4 plants in there, figured I would plant twice what I need just in case I have any issues. Ideal would be 2 plant SCROG.

I'm going to do some topping for sure to keep them low and wide. Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks for the input, your garden looks great!!! I don't plan on keeping 4 plants in there, figured I would plant twice what I need just in case I have any issues. Ideal would be 2 plant SCROG.

I'm going to do some topping for sure to keep them low and wide. Hopefully all goes well.

2 sounds perfect. Trust yourself, beans aren't free.

2 sounds perfect. Trust yourself, beans aren't free.

Going to be hard to let the other 2 go though. Trying to think about a way that I can keep them in there for as long as possible, take clones and then delay the clones a bit to be able to be planted once I harvest the first 2.

In other news the plants aren't burning anymore!

Everything is looking good here, the burnt seedlings haven't skipped a beat and what was burnt burnt before has been pushed to the tips. The RQS NL is getting her second set of leaves and the BG is recovering well. Wondering what to do (if i should do anything) to support the stem on the BG as it is still curled over, hopefully it will grow straight and strong.

Northern Lights
20160203_175314-1.jpg

AK-48 1
20160203_175303-1.jpg

AK-48 2
20160203_175309-1.jpg

Bubba's Gift
20160203_175318-1.jpg

Starting to think about when I should transplant these and at what ratio I should mix my FFOF/Perlite. Any experience much appreciated.

Also, for anyone starting a grow with Rapid Rooters, starting up is very easy and I figure i'll lay out what I've done with 100% success my first time around as I feel the process has been a bit over-complicated.

1. Soak rooter 6-12-24-however many hours you want
  2. Squeeze out excess water. No specific amount, just make sure it's a lot lighter and isn't still shooting water out when you squeeze.
  3. Plant ungerminated/germinated seed
  4. Tear off some rapid rooter to lay/lightly plug the hole in the top. Just make sure you're not really pressing it in there. Just tear off a piece and keep taking bits off until it drops in there without much argument and keeps the hole shielded from light.
  5. Turn on lights 24/0 (arguable, I did it but it's not necessary)
  6. Whenever the plug starts to dry up (obviously lighter brown, should take 1.5-3 days), fill up a tray with water (been using unadjusted distilled, no problems) so that it at least touches the bottom of the RR. Some people say 1/8", some say 1/4" it doesn't effect anything but how long it takes. Within minutes you should be able to see the rapid rooter has absorbed water and is turning a darker brown, also will be obviously more wet with a gentle press. After they're saturated take them out of the water and dry up your tray. I've taken them out and dried off the tray after letting them soak for 5min - 1hr, made no difference.
  7. Watch her grow!

With conflicting reviews about when to transplant Rapid Rooters, I figured I'd move one as an experiment. All my seedlings have roots out the bottom and sides, so it can't be TOO early (i assume).

I chose the AK-48 who stretched the most, she also happened to be the "worst" burn victim. However, when I looked at the pots I bought from the hydro store (i bought 3 sizes), I realized the next size up from my root tray wasn't really any taller than the rapid rooter and I know these roots want to grow down. The next step up was a 6" pot (tall I think, not wide, will measure), but I figured I could give it a shot without any issues.

I laid down about a quarter-half inch layer of perlite at the bottom for drainage, mixed 10% perlite in with my FFOF, plopped the rooter down a few inches and covered her up to the leaves. Watered with unadjusted distilled (comes in around 6.5-6.8) until there was runoff, tipped the pot around to let the majority of the runoff out and plopped her next to her sisters in their trays. If no disaster occurs within the next 24-48 hours her sisters will follow. Just realized I only bought 2 6" pots, so I gotta make a run.

Here she is in her new home.

20160205_114225-1.jpg

With this "experiment" I hope to support or dispel the worry that FFOF is too hot for seedlings, and solidify my watering routine in the bigger pot.

Well, somehow my NL seedling is showing pretty serious Nitrogen deficiency. At only 2 weeks old and in RR plug I didn't think this was going to be an issue. It's growing, slowly as the rest, but very much yellow and the leaves are curling in torsion along the axis of the leaf. My AK-48 transplant to FFOF w/ 10% perlite seemed to take off a bit last night so I figure the nutes in the soil will help the NL recover. Any advice here would be great; runoff pH 6.8.

20160206_113817-1.jpg

20160206_114905-1.jpg

That's nutrient lockout.

You said the plant grew up in a rapid rooter, but I think when you transplanted to the huge pot that it's in now, she got kinda drowney. That's Vlad speak for it's over watered.

Happens all the time, she'll be fine, please don't water it until the pot gets lighter.

I'm subbed

Vlad

That's nutrient lockout.

You said the plant grew up in a rapid rooter, but I think when you transplanted to the huge pot that it's in now, she got kinda drowney. That's Vlad speak for it's over watered.

Happens all the time, she'll be fine, please don't water it until the pot gets lighter.

I'm subbed

Vlad

She got that way in the rapid rooter, unfortunately that pic was snapped about 2 minutes after I transplanted her.

Dontscrewup, that's one epic grow tent you have there!

High PPM can be burning the roots.

Vlad:bongrip:

Thanks Vlad, if the condition worsens I'll get me a PPM meter ASAP.

As of this morning, the AK that transplanted two days ago is really starting to take off and the yellowing of the NL has stopped from what I can tell. She's looking better today! Will post pics later when I transplant the remaining AK and BG, those ladies are definitely ready to start spreading their roots.

As promised, a quick update after transplanting the Bubba's Gift and remaining AK-48, can't wait to see them take off (hopefully). The first AK-48 has been in FFOF for 2 days now and is growing more rapidly, while the presumably N-deff Northern Lights seems to be doing better too, but it's only her 2nd day in soil.

They made not be an impressive bunch but I hope some day they will be!
20160207_155227-1.jpg

Northern Lights recuperating
20160207_155251-1.jpg

AK-48 progress (bottom tips burnt from foliar misting)
20160207_155300-1.jpg

Also installed a 6" clip-on fan and an inlet duct fan to get the airflow moving in there. Hope it helps!

Quick update from week 3! More pics to come but snapped two of my best AK and NL while I was watering this morning. Still on 24/0 light but considering switching to 20/4 to give them a little rest at night, maybe water before the lights go out and prevent some premature drying but not sure yet.

Is there any chance that my node spacing is TOO small? They are bushing up quite a bit, which I don't mind, but just wondering. I am considering topping them semi-soon.

AK
20160216_111624-1_1_.jpg

NL
20160216_111557-1.jpg

Quick update from week 3! More pics to come but snapped two of my best AK and NL while I was watering this morning. Still on 24/0 light but considering switching to 20/4 to give them a little rest at night, maybe water before the lights go out and prevent some premature drying but not sure yet.

Is there any chance that my node spacing is TOO small? They are bushing up quite a bit, which I don't mind, but just wondering. I am considering topping them semi-soon.

AK
20160216_111624-1_1_.jpg

NL
20160216_111557-1.jpg

looks familiar. my 2 Jack Herer were also tightly noded. I topped and they are doing great.
peace.

Back
Top Bottom