Switched from Miracle Grow to Foxfarms, trying to survive!

this plant looks like it needs water forsure, soil is drier than a desert it seems like and leaves are yellowing. So today I gave this bad girl a little under a half gallon of water with 6tsp of big bloom.
That plant has some of the classic signs of being over watered. If the soil was actually as dry as a desert then it can become hydrophobic which means that the water runs right through the soil. With all that standing water in the tub then most of the water ran through and it was over watered. If the soil was not completely dry as a bone and still had some moisture in it then it received too much water and all the excess standing water is a sign of that.

I am not sure of what this means but you said that you gave the plant "...a little under a half gallon of water with 6tsp of big bloom. Im restarting its veg cycle from the beginning." Are you saying that you put 6 teaspoons of Big Bloom in a half gallon of water?

How are you going to be able to restart the vegetating cycle from the beginning?

Here is an update after yesterdays water. She is looking fabulous again, that waterimg definitely made her happy. And well by following the fox farms schedule, it says if want to extend veg, restart from beginning of week 1…Im just following the schedule as best as I can…And yes half gallon with 6tsp of big bloom because that is what is called for on week 1. Correct me in any ways I could be wrong, I def was not sure if Im suppose to flush before restarting..its currently on the way and will be here Thurs..need to order great white root inducer too cuz i need to transplant or at-least refill the pot . ive been trying to follow @Emilya Green watering methods as best as I can and using some insight ive seen from your posts..

2E86E477-7FC9-4CFC-B2A7-59000EAB4212.jpeg

6F158308-8601-4B74-AEB0-9E9EF15AD46A.jpeg

83712385-226C-4515-B2C8-DA0EDAFF6B00.jpeg

771FBE4D-95DF-4D78-A3AD-92E5EE650CF7.jpeg

5B3D33AC-53D2-4BC9-A6E5-4250E075DCB8.jpeg

8A3D887F-1AEF-4C7F-A162-A8C7A285362E.jpeg

CF2A6E71-3E53-479C-8DB9-574477181652.jpeg

B6B70D58-6958-4215-8308-FFA36E86F1B6.png

Yes
Is there water in the bottom of the tub your pots are resting in, couldn't that cause a problem? Also, what did you mean when you mentioned flushing?
yes, you are correct i need to find something i can have the pots rest on top and have the run off run under not touching the pots but next time im going to pour it out.

Is it me or is your soils level really low?
Its definitely low haha I didnt fill like an idiot cuz I didnt want it massive before the babies but I didnt realize when I water it drains it too. Im learning and repotting in fresh filled 5gal with fox farms ocean forest soon. Thanks for noticing and giving me important insight

Yes

yes, you are correct i need to find something i can have the pots rest on top and have the run off run under not touching the pots but next time im going to pour it out.
I can only speak for my own habits but the only time I see run off is I get water between the soil and the bag. If I see run off I feel I watered too much. Also I use hot soil so I don't think I would try to wash the nutes out, but I understand it is done with hydro. I have forgotten what you are growing in.

Satyban is absolutely correct... when watering a plant you should see little to no run off...Squisha I don’t know how many grows you have been involved in...But I think you are getting caught up in the buy this and get that of the well oiled marketing machine..? If you water your plants correctly you certainly don’t need to spend your money on some white roots thingy a half gal of water is way to much for that plant..I grow 6’ Tall plants and only give them 1gal every 3days ...I see your FF feed cart... BUT your not baking a cake my lady..and please forgive me I’m not trying to get down on you personally..we all started with one seed.(so to speak) just give the soil a good “”moistening ““ FF can tell you how to feed but they can’t see what is going on in your tent...and please give that little girl a bigger pot..get zen with your environment

I’m struggling to understand what you’ve got going on Squish.. It looks like you just have root balls in oversized pots that you’re watering but then leaving in a tub of runoff.

I see now where you answered.. you really jumped in feet first eh? Lol no matter, some of us learn better reading some learn better actually doing, some of us need to make a mistake to learn. S’all good.

Learning to water to just before runoff takes time and practice.. you’ll never learn how unless you actually do it.. it’s okay to runoff a few times hell even a few grows while you’re learning. A little runoff here and there won’t drain your soil.. it’s much more likely you’ll just lock yourself out of the nutrients before you wash them out. You don’t want your plants just sitting in that runoff though. It’s a magnet for pests and disease, plus you’re giving the plant constant access to water in a system designed to make roots chase the water.

You don’t need all these fancy root enhancers or super mega feeds.. all of that is secondary to good gardening. You’d be much much better off focusing on learning basic gardening skills. All the fancy enhancers are meant for top end efficiencies, when you already know you’re pushing up against the limits (and why and what those limits are) but want to push it a bit further. You’re still learning how to properly pot a plant and water it, it’d be similar to learning algebra then jumping to a quantum mechanics laboratory for theoretical experiments. You’re gonna waste your time, money, and patience messing around with the fancy stuff, and it’s going to be much more frustrating and damaging to fail.

The basic feed programs are decent and will help you get a handle on the needs of your plants, but you’ve gotta be paying attention to how much you’re giving, when you’re giving, and why you’re giving. Once you start learning that then the rest of the extra stuff will become much more valuable and beneficial. It helps if you read the actual ingredients and make up of the different feeds so you can get an idea of what the plant is consuming the most of and when.

She’s a weed.. she thrives in adversity (shout out to @Emilya Green for that answer because I’ve always been stumped before when someone asks what exactly makes something a weed while arguing over the damage grass lawns wreak) she does her best work when she’s made to do her best work. You’re doing all of the work for her. This is where basic gardening skills and principles (principals?) come in handy.. Understanding how and why the plant grows how it does. You know she has multiple types of roots she throws out that can be encouraged without any sort of product?

Your entire goal in veg is to grow big, strong roots.. the plant above ground will let you know how root growth is going below ground. Roots, roots, roots. That’s the goal.. that is also where basic gardening comes in handy.. understanding how roots grow, why they grow, and the different types that grow.

Turgidity seems to be returning to a few of the leaves which is a good sign.

If you check out my grow journal, I didn’t use any root enhancers or anything like that.. I used commercial soil, a top dressed fertilizer, calmag, and water. That’s it. No nute water, no root enhancers, just soil and fertilizer. I transplanted from a 4 inch pot to a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon smart pot and she took each transplant with zero issues and is looking gorgeous. You’ll also see I too struggled with a few things here and there, we all do, that’s life.

I HIGHLY recommend trying to get a grasp on the basics of gardening, then the basics of cannabis root growth. That will be worth more than any product you can purchase.

by following the fox farms schedule, it says if want to extend veg, restart from beginning of week 1…
As Emilya mentions it is to use the dosages as mentioned under Week 4 to continue to extend the plant's growth.
That way the grower can put the plant into the flowering stage at any time and then they can start using the Week 5 feeding as shown in the chart.

Your mention of "...restarting its veg cycle..." is what confused me.;)

And yes half gallon with 6tsp of big bloom because that is what is called for on week 1.
The dose mentioned in the chart is the number of teaspoons per gallon of water. The chart indicates that Fox Farm feels the grower can feed up to twice per week. Then the rest of the line has the "measuring spoon" which I figure is meaning the amount to use per gallon. If someone needs only a half gallon per feeding then many gardeners would considered it OK to use a half gallon of water and half of the dose. As an example, Week 4 would be 1 and a half teaspoons in a half gallon of water.

I’m struggling to understand what you’ve got going on Squish.. It looks like you just have root balls in oversized pots that you’re watering but then leaving in a tub of runoff.

I see now where you answered.. you really jumped in feet first eh? Lol no matter, some of us learn better reading some learn better actually doing, some of us need to make a mistake to learn. S’all good.

Learning to water to just before runoff takes time and practice.. you’ll never learn how unless you actually do it.. it’s okay to runoff a few times hell even a few grows while you’re learning. A little runoff here and there won’t drain your soil.. it’s much more likely you’ll just lock yourself out of the nutrients before you wash them out. You don’t want your plants just sitting in that runoff though. It’s a magnet for pests and disease, plus you’re giving the plant constant access to water in a system designed to make roots chase the water.

You don’t need all these fancy root enhancers or super mega feeds.. all of that is secondary to good gardening. You’d be much much better off focusing on learning basic gardening skills. All the fancy enhancers are meant for top end efficiencies, when you already know you’re pushing up against the limits (and why and what those limits are) but want to push it a bit further. You’re still learning how to properly pot a plant and water it, it’d be similar to learning algebra then jumping to a quantum mechanics laboratory for theoretical experiments. You’re gonna waste your time, money, and patience messing around with the fancy stuff, and it’s going to be much more frustrating and damaging to fail.

The basic feed programs are decent and will help you get a handle on the needs of your plants, but you’ve gotta be paying attention to how much you’re giving, when you’re giving, and why you’re giving. Once you start learning that then the rest of the extra stuff will become much more valuable and beneficial. It helps if you read the actual ingredients and make up of the different feeds so you can get an idea of what the plant is consuming the most of and when.

She’s a weed.. she thrives in adversity (shout out to @Emilya Green for that answer because I’ve always been stumped before when someone asks what exactly makes something a weed while arguing over the damage grass lawns wreak) she does her best work when she’s made to do her best work. You’re doing all of the work for her. This is where basic gardening skills and principles (principals?) come in handy.. Understanding how and why the plant grows how it does. You know she has multiple types of roots she throws out that can be encouraged without any sort of product?

Your entire goal in veg is to grow big, strong roots.. the plant above ground will let you know how root growth is going below ground. Roots, roots, roots. That’s the goal.. that is also where basic gardening comes in handy.. understanding how roots grow, why they grow, and the different types that grow.

Turgidity seems to be returning to a few of the leaves which is a good sign.

If you check out my grow journal, I didn’t use any root enhancers or anything like that.. I used commercial soil, a top dressed fertilizer, calmag, and water. That’s it. No nute water, no root enhancers, just soil and fertilizer. I transplanted from a 4 inch pot to a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon smart pot and she took each transplant with zero issues and is looking gorgeous. You’ll also see I too struggled with a few things here and there, we all do, that’s life.

I HIGHLY recommend trying to get a grasp on the basics of gardening, then the basics of cannabis root growth. That will be worth more than any product you can purchase.
Very well said SW, personally I try to spend as little $$$ as possible preferring to make my own ( Epsom,Molasses,Dr . Bonner’s for pests etc.) only when needed.CL🍀

Hi Keith,
Where I got confused for a minute this year was in reading the label on the nutes when it mentioned OK to feed 2x per week.
I of course followed the dosages based on the age of the plant but sometimes along the way they went 10 days without a water, particularly after a transplant.
So for example, if they only got 1 feeding in week 4, I moved on to the week 5 recommendation the next time the pots were light.
It sure doesn’t rain here everyday, so how could a bottle label know whether my pots were thirsty or not? 😁

Hi Keith,
Where I got confused for a minute this year was in reading the label on the nutes when it mentioned OK to feed 2x per week.
I of course followed the dosages based on the age of the plant but sometimes along the way they went 10 days without a water, particularly after a transplant.
So for example, if they only got 1 feeding in week 4, I moved on to the week 5 recommendation the next time the pots were light.
It sure doesn’t rain here everyday, so how could a bottle label know whether my pots were thirsty or not? 😁
As the gardener you are the one who has to adapt to all the variables.

As far as the Fox Farms nutrients are concerned, keep in mind that the dosage mentioned on the back of the bottle is what to use if the grower is only using that one nutrient mix. If the grower is going to be using 2 or all three of the basic Fox Farm trio then they are supposed to use the amounts found in the chart.

As the gardener you are the one who has to adapt to all the variables.

As far as the Fox Farms nutrients are concerned, keep in mind that the dosage mentioned on the back of the bottle is what to use if the grower is only using that one nutrient mix. If the grower is going to be using 2 or all three of the basic Fox Farm trio then they are supposed to use the amounts found in the chart.
Just using Tiger Bloom or Big Bloom is not going to supply the needs of our plants, no matter how much of it you use. I was always told that the directions on the bottle were for growing outside in the ground. In containers, refer to the feeding chart.

Back
Top Bottom