Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

THCa is oxidized to THC, but THC doesn't degrade to CBN. Sorry to be so blunt. Just trying to correct either Pman or myself. Cheers
No offense at all!
Here is a link REEFERring to my thought process (see what I did there) LoL!

"For example, temperature has the ability to cause THCA to decarboxylate and become THC (which is highly psychoactive), but heat and light can cause THC to degrade to CBN over time as well."

I would love to see before & after cobbing lab analysis... Any of you real chemists out there have any data?

Highya Guys,

Just me eating crow again. THC does in fact degrade to CBN (I've read this from several cannabis sources). Sorry to doubt you Pman. You are right, and I'm wrong.

On a positive note, I made 16 cobs this fall, and just started consuming them. They've cured for 6 weeks, and then dried and jarred. Very different from the buds. More like a body and mind wellbeing feeling. Not what I hoped, but I really like the buds, so I'm still happy with this year's produce. Cheers

Highya Guys,

Just me eating crow again. THC does in fact degrade to CBN (I've read this from several cannabis sources). Sorry to doubt you Pman. You are right, and I'm wrong.

On a positive note, I made 16 cobs this fall, and just started consuming them. They've cured for 6 weeks, and then dried and jarred. Very different from the buds. More like a body and mind wellbeing feeling. Not what I hoped, but I really like the buds, so I'm still happy with this year's produce. Cheers
What did you make them from my friend?

What did you make them from my friend?
No doubt! Drop some details on the fam!
I was staring at my other vac-bag of un-cobbed Frisian duck strongly considering trying to sweat it... BUT I want to have a control group.

So checking the bag that's marinating on the router, I'm not sure how this will work out for me. I'm worried that I'm running a bit hot for fermentation to occur, approximately @ 105°F ±5°F or so. (that's about 41°C for the metrics out there)
Gotta role with it I guess because I am really limited on temp. Stable locations.

Any insights on fermenting at such a temp?

I made cobs wrapped in parchment paper and twine. I put into heat area (102 degrees) for 36 hrs (probably a bit too long) then put above wood stove (not going wide open all the time) for the last 6 weeks. I don't have the tech to post any pictures. But that's what I made in a nutshell.

No doubt! Drop some details on the fam!
I was staring at my other vac-bag of un-cobbed Frisian duck strongly considering trying to sweat it... BUT I want to have a control group.

So checking the bag that's marinating on the router, I'm not sure how this will work out for me. I'm worried that I'm running a bit hot for fermentation to occur, approximately @ 105°F ±5°F or so. (that's about 41°C for the metrics out there)
Gotta role with it I guess because I am really limited on temp. Stable locations.

Any insights on fermenting at such a temp?
Shorten the sweat at higher temps or I would wrap the cobs in a towel to slow down the sweat.
Overdoing the sweat is a major no no it will over ferment them and destroys terps ect.
Better to watch them through the plastic bag or have a control sample un cobbed (canary bud) as soon as you see the color start changing remove from heat source and dry residule sweat with a paper towel.
Reseal and keep your eye on the canary bud you dont want it to get too dark.

I made cobs wrapped in parchment paper and twine. I put into heat area (102 degrees) for 36 hrs (probably a bit too long) then put above wood stove (not going wide open all the time) for the last 6 weeks. I don't have the tech to post any pictures. But that's what I made in a nutshell.
Without pics its hard to know what it turned out like. 36 hours is a bit long unless the buds were very dry to begin with then its fine.
Getting the "feel" for this is where its at.
After sweating they will continue to ripen and ferment so the key is a light touch on the sweat and watching the canary buds thats what they are for after all.
Then halting the ferment by drying when they reach the level you like. This is dictated by smell and appearance its not a set and forget method, not until its dried for storage and aging.
Even then I check (open and taste, sniff ect) monthly as they nearly always need further drying during the aging process.
Remember its a curing process nothing more it doesn't increase potency but it changes it along with the changes to the green buds its just a matter of whether you like the changes.
The main aim is to make the buds smoother to smoke the fact that they are also edible is just a bonus if you dont smoke like me.
Starting with the most potent high you can grow will in turn make the cobs seem potent.

Shorten the sweat at higher temps or I would wrap the cobs in a towel to slow down the sweat.
Overdoing the sweat is a major no no it will over ferment them and destroys terps ect.
Better to watch them through the plastic bag or have a control sample un cobbed (canary bud) as soon as you see the color start changing remove from heat source and dry residule sweat with a paper towel.
Reseal and keep your eye on the canary bud you dont want it to get too dark.
It sweat for 13 hours at temps between 150-185°F took it out to rebag it & check humidity. It had a nice sweet pungent smell about it then. Got a really good seal with the roll hot. Then put it on the router. After a few days looked & it was around 71°F which I believe is below range for fermentation to occur. Put a towel over the roll to insulate, that got the temp to 100°F+ been on there for 2 ½ days.

Frisian duck is mild in both terps & somewhat mild in effect. It gives a clear-headed energetic mood & has a light sweet pine spice to it under normal circumstances. Ideally this process will accelerate the THC degradation & boost the CBN content to calm my little ducky down & make it more sedative-esq for night time use.

Now with my higher temps... How F'd do you think I am on this batch?
The pic is right after the sweat compared to the "raw" bud

The other is the roll as it currently is & the surface temp at 41°C

I couldn't help myself... I had to open it... It has a sweet earthy smell now. The taste is hard to describe... Good similar to the smell kind of sweet & earthy. Initial feeling is pretty good...

Attachments

• KIMG1010.JPG
    KIMG1010.JPG
    701.3 KB · Views: 66
  • KIMG1015.JPG
    KIMG1015.JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 15745657524266025328741364527278.jpg
    15745657524266025328741364527278.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 15745661475613939875196975811205.jpg
    15745661475613939875196975811205.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 76
Thank you Tangwena! I'll use your advice with my next cobs!

It sweat for 13 hours at temps between 150-185°F took it out to rebag it & check humidity. It had a nice sweet pungent smell about it then. Got a really good seal with the roll hot. Then put it on the router. After a few days looked & it was around 71°F which I believe is below range for fermentation to occur. Put a towel over the roll to insulate, that got the temp to 100°F+ been on there for 2 ½ days.

Frisian duck is mild in both terps & somewhat mild in effect. It gives a clear-headed energetic mood & has a light sweet pine spice to it under normal circumstances. Ideally this process will accelerate the THC degradation & boost the CBN content to calm my little ducky down & make it more sedative-esq for night time use.

Now with my higher temps... How F'd do you think I am on this batch?
The pic is right after the sweat compared to the "raw" bud

The other is the roll as it currently is & the surface temp at 41°C

I couldn't help myself... I had to open it... It has a sweet earthy smell now. The taste is hard to describe... Good similar to the smell kind of sweet & earthy. Initial feeling is pretty good...
Looks done my friend dry and seal to age. You should expect a very mild smoke mild on the lungs and the mind.
Its hard to notice any changes in mild pot because they are so slight but the lungs will be happier.
Once its aged try chewing 0.75 to 1 gram that should calm you down the way your looking for.

Happy pre-Thanksgiving to all of you. I'm going to be busy tomorrow cooking for a crowd but I do want you all to know how thankful I am for you this past year. When I joined the group a year ago, I was in a... hmmm... abusive/negative professional relationship. That has resolved and lurking here and posting occasionally here reminds me there is true goodness and I really really really appreciate all of you. Hugs, Gratitude, and Best Wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving where ever you are. Cheers to Cobs and Good Friends.

Happy pre-Thanksgiving to all of you. I'm going to be busy tomorrow cooking for a crowd but I do want you all to know how thankful I am for you this past year. When I joined the group a year ago, I was in a... hmmm... abusive/negative professional relationship. That has resolved and lurking here and posting occasionally here reminds me there is true goodness and I really really really appreciate all of you. Hugs, Gratitude, and Best Wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving where ever you are. Cheers to Cobs and Good Friends.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you MissyE. :hug::hug::hug:

It warms my heart to know this happy band of experimenters intent on creating a more joyful euphoric experience helped sooth your troubled waters. I’ve been here five years now. There is no community quite like our virtual family. :circle-of-love:

No offense at all!
Here is a link REEFERring to my thought process (see what I did there) LoL!

I saw it. :laughtwo:

Pman Sticky Ikky said:
I would love to see before & after cobbing lab analysis... Any of you real chemists out there have any data?

Neiko had one tested. The results are in this thread. I’ll dig it up for you and link it later.

Highya Guys,

First off, I’ve seen lab evidence that it take a significant amount of improper storage to convert THC to CBN. Leave a baggie of flower sitting on a windowsill for a year and you’ll make super-duper sleep meds. CBN conversion isn’t a concern with cobs. I’ve got some that’ve been stored over a year now, I believe, and they’re still every bit as euphoric as they were going in, if not more so.

I’d expect the same from yours Bode. What dose are you taking, and how are you administering? IMHO, it’ll take around 0.3-0.5 go chewed for me to get the spiritual experience I’m waiting for, but the effect of 0.2 gr is so satisfying I’ve not had the urge to take that deep plunge into the spiritual realm. Keep dialing it in. You’ll find your sweet spot.

I have been noticing a spike in euphoric effect with that 0.2 go I chew every morning.

Which leads me to why I stopped this morning.

The past week included an unexpected trip through the delight of staving off an ear infection - which cannabis helped me do without the interference of pharmacy drugs or a prodding doctor. It also kept me close to my bed for a few days, followed by cautious outings as I healed the rest of the way.

During that time I didn’t chew any cob, and I didn’t realize that for days. My habit is to have the chew on my way out the door as I dash out to watch the sun rise over the bay. Since I wasn’t going to the beach I wasn’t grabbing that chew.

After a couple days, as I began to heal more, I began to wonder why things felt a bit “off.” Then I remembered the cob, and immediately took my morning dose.

All is well with the universe again. :cheesygrinsmiley:

On this national day of thanksgiving I find myself somewhat overwhelmed by what we accomplish as a community. Last night I was explaining to a friend the value I see in cobbing:
* Greater volume of usable material.
* More fun to create. :cheesygrinsmiley:
* Easier to store. Will store longer as cobs than as flower.
* Unique euphoric experience.
* Increased potency, IMHO. I may be qualified to make that determination. :rofl:
* Smoother smoke. Kinder to the lungs.
* Clean end results. When Neiko had his tested the lab was impressed with the purity of the specimen. I chalk that up to the fermentation process.

Yeah..... we’re doing good here guys. And we have Tangwena and his relentless passion to preserve and advance this marvelous, ancient process. @tangwena, I’m continually stunned by the depth of your knowledge and beyond thankful that you enjoy playing in our sandbox. :hug::hug::hug:

Today I had my first opportunity to try smoking cob and hour after chewing. Typically I’m out running around the beach or having coffee for a couple hours after that chew. I’m floating along getting a feel for the buzz. It’s very expansive. Lol!

I keep forgetting what I was doing. :laughtwo:

Wow! I started reading this thread a couple weeks ago during my lurking and learning period and I finally have read it all! I'm starting to see how this group has become a huge group of friends! I have a plan for sometime within the next 2 years to get rid of most of my stuff that's not necessary and buy a sweet motorhome bus to travel the country. If I can get reasonable cell service and wifi for internet I can Live anywhere. Hoping to generate enough medicine to not have to grow again until I've found where think I'll end up (semi) permanently. I'm sure I'll find multiple places where I'll settle for a few months at least. That's gonna be a few years of traveling around I'm thinking, but I can't wait!
I’m considering doing this once the kids are on their own and we have some extra financial freedom. Lol but the wife convinced me not to, so now our retirement plans are a very large slice of land in our dream location.. which I’ll. E building the home most likely unless we find a lot with a nice home already.. but I’m still buying the motor home...shhh, she doesn’t know it yet:) haha I want the best of both worlds. The only thing that freaks me out about the motor home would be traveling to different states with a lot of buds on me... me no trust 5-0. Lol

I’m considering doing this once the kids are on their own and we have some extra financial freedom. Lol but the wife convinced me not to, so now our retirement plans are a very large slice of land in our dream location.. which I’ll. E building the home most likely unless we find a lot with a nice home already.. but I’m still buying the motor home...shhh, she doesn’t know it yet:) haha I want the best of both worlds. The only thing that freaks me out about the motor home would be traveling to different states with a lot of buds on me... me no trust 5-0. Lol

Buy yourself a food saving vacuum system and keep it all sealed tight. Pack it in with something unexpected, where no one would think to look. Think outside the box and tell no one.

Then get out there and see the world, with the expectation that nothing will go amiss. :slide:

I hear you, I’m just not brave enough to do that. I’ve been totally F’d by the police and have had my rights violated... it came out in court and charges were dropped but that’s because I fought the charges for 2 years. It was not cheap, had I not been able to afford a lawyer I would have served time in prison... all for pot. This was over an illegal search and seizure... towed my car, denied me bail, couldn’t leave the state, weekly drug tests, house checks constantly.... before I was even found guilty ... they offered every deal in the book that I could just basically walk away if I said I was guilty and that would be that... but I wasn’t so I wouldn’t, so they tortured me every way they could and dragged the court case out for as long as they could hoping I would cave.. never did and obviously I won the case... I’ve seen what crooked cops can do, and even if your innocent they will still make your life hell for years before your found innocent. I learned this the hard way, so I always play it safe now. I agree tell no one, but that’s not enough when your in a moving vehicle and dealing with a crooked cop. I’m only saying this as a warning because I would HATE to see some BS like that happen to anyone else. With that being said, if your comfortable doing it then that’s all that matters. I just felt obligated to point out what COULD happen although it most likely will not. I would only roll with enough that I could eat if I had to. Lol

I hear you, I’m just not brave enough to do that. I’ve been totally F’d by the police and have had my rights violated... it came out in court and charges were dropped but that’s because I fought the charges for 2 years. It was not cheap, had I not been able to afford a lawyer I would have served time in prison... all for pot. This was over an illegal search and seizure... towed my car, denied me bail, couldn’t leave the state, weekly drug tests, house checks constantly.... before I was even found guilty ... they offered every deal in the book that I could just basically walk away if I said I was guilty and that would be that... but I wasn’t so I wouldn’t, so they tortured me every way they could and dragged the court case out for as long as they could hoping I would cave.. never did and obviously I won the case... I’ve seen what crooked cops can do, and even if your innocent they will still make your life hell for years before your found innocent. I learned this the hard way, so I always play it safe now. I agree tell no one, but that’s not enough when your in a moving vehicle and dealing with a crooked cop. I’m only saying this as a warning because I would HATE to see some BS like that happen to anyone else. With that being said, if your comfortable doing it then that’s all that matters. I just felt obligated to point out what COULD happen although it most likely will not. I would only roll with enough that I could eat if I had to. Lol

Like Charlie Daniels says

Watch were your going' and Remember
where you've been, Thats the way I see it
I'm a simple man

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth

I always thought it was a fiver for a J a tenner for a dime...
@SweetSue I totally agree with your statements about this community! & For you & @tangwena thank you both for your help! I have my cob aging in a large Mason jar now instead of a vac-pack. I want it to age to be more sedative-esq so we'll let it ride in its current dryer side of the spectrum for a while. I couldn't help myself & had to sample. It was still a "well....... Not sleeping for a while now..." Kinda high but very different from the raw stuff. This was an "I'm awake but my limbs are super heavy & I just don't wanna move right now. BTW I think the bed is also swallowing me." Kinda high. The taste was nice & sweet!

Thank you all for spreading the word on this process!

Back
Top Bottom