The Deep Water Culture Home

Hey sojolove, you should go ahead and give them the 1st 1/4 dose of nutes, both plants are already showing your 2nd set of TRUE LEAVES. The 1st 2 round leaves that emerge are called the cotyledons (basically the inside of the seed) and the other 4 in your pics are your true leaves. Once you start to see the 2nd set of true leaves then its time for their 1st meal. Pay close attention to how they react to the nutes, by the way which ones are you using?? Every set of leaves thereafter (maybe a day or 2 later) add another 1/4 dose, then after 10 days you should drain and replenish your water. Good luck I hope this helps, your plants will love you for it, trust me! Lol. Peace

I am using the SH nutes. Im being careful so I don't burn them. But one of them is showing light green color and I am assuming its because it needs to be fed. The stems all look pretty weak so I am not sure if the nutes help them get stronger or if the stems need to be stronger first. Thanks for the help.

I ended up painting 2 black on the inside and 2 on the outside, for variety.

With all of the problems I have had with my grow, I'd be a little worried about having paint on the inside of the tub. :yikes:

You may want to keep a very good eye on the 2 with the paint inside them since once the water and the nutes are in the res, the mixture may dissolve some of the paint and possibly poison the plants, or if you move the tub, the paint may crack (since it's on a plastic tub) and contaminate the water or flake off and clog your pump.
I painted a plastic car top carrier, and the paint started flaking off of it just because of opening and closing it, and I even used paint that is made for plastic!

HTH! :goodluck:

I don't like to waste time with the light cycle change. I grow them for 4 or 5 weeks, take some clones of all of them a week before I go 12/12. Send them all to flower and both the males in the tank and their clones get pitched. Give a normal life cycle to the fems in the tank.
I like that method.
So you don't sex them until they are in flowering and keep the clones marked to match the exact plant they came from and then pull the males out of flowering & cloning, that could work very good.
With all of the problems I have had with my grow, I'd be a little worried about having paint on the inside of the tub. :yikes:

You may want to keep a very good eye on the 2 with the paint inside them since once the water and the nutes are in the res, the mixture may dissolve some of the paint and possibly poison the plants, or if you move the tub, the paint may crack (since it's on a plastic tub) and contaminate the water or flake off and clog your pump.
I painted a plastic car top carrier, and the paint started flaking off of it just because of opening and closing it, and I even used paint that is made for plastic!

HTH! :goodluck:
I considered that but also considered the out gasing the adhesive on the aluminum tape has to do under hot lights, 6 of one half dozen of another, noted and I will keep that in mind when I start having any issues :(.

Thanx BubblHeads,
John Whorfin

I like that method.
So you don't sex them until they are in flowering and keep the clones marked to match the exact plant they came from and then pull the males out of flowering & cloning, that could work very good.

I considered that but also considered the out gasing the adhesive on the aluminum tape has to do under hot lights, 6 of one half dozen of another, noted and I will keep that in mind when I start having any issues :(.

Thanx BubblHeads,
John Whorfin

Dude why don't you just line the bucket with reflective sheeting (black/white poly, aluminum foil, whatever.....)Lining just the lid should solve any problems with light. Then you also get the benefit of light reflecting off of your lid. I would never use anything I my grow area that is black. :smokin:

I am using the SH nutes. Im being careful so I don't burn them. But one of them is showing light green color and I am assuming its because it needs to be fed. The stems all look pretty weak so I am not sure if the nutes help them get stronger or if the stems need to be stronger first. Thanks for the help.

the SH nutes are good nutrients, they are a little on the weak side so don't worry so much about over feeding them, Per Rosemans' advice I use SH veg nutrients then switch to AN for flowering. Concerning your stems..... do you have a fan on them. A light breeze will make your stems strong. :tokin:

the SH nutes are good nutrients, they are a little on the weak side so don't worry so much about over feeding them, Per Rosemans' advice I use SH veg nutrients then switch to AN for flowering. Concerning your stems..... do you have a fan on them. A light breeze will make your stems strong. :tokin:

Yes I have fans on them. But i will go ahead and start the nutes tonight. Im just excited to see them grow now. I haven't realized the seedling stage can be delicate as I killed few seeds due to my mistakes. Oh well; live and learn.:tokin:

Dude why don't you just line the bucket with reflective sheeting (black/white poly, aluminum foil, whatever.....)Lining just the lid should solve any problems with light. Then you also get the benefit of light reflecting off of your lid. I would never use anything I my grow area that is black. :smokin:
Thanx Guido, I do appriciate the advise, I actually did think about breaking out the spray gun and giving them a coat of white paint.
My biggest issue is how to get my rez kewler than my box, my grow box runs at about 77^ so does the rez pretty much, I have a plan, it involves an engine oil cooler and a constant 70^ish channel of air blowing on the other side of the wall, very stealth, I just need to hang the cooler there and plumb the rez to it.

The sterilite 10 gal tubs bleed light through, lid & tub, I know plenty of folks who wrap & don't wrap there black DWC buckets, I'd be more concerned if I were using traditional lighting putting out heat, in that case I would probably wrap them in aluminum tape.
Its done, I've seen many grows than went south because of various smaller light leaks in the rez's creating issues, I need to use a flash light now to see to the bottom of the tub with the lights off or on, I did have some concern the 1st time I checked the rez with the lights on, I could've read a book with the light in there.

Seeds sprouted.
Deep Water Culture.jpg

Regards,
John Whorfin

Back
Top Bottom