The Deep Water Culture Home

Wow! Mr. Rose! That is some great info!

Thanks MC!

I just hope it inspires somebody or helps them solve an issue. For Deep Water Culture I think a UPS is a smart investment especially if you can find them used for cheap on craigslist etc and don't have to pay shipping. Not having to worry about utility power is just one more thing to make your life simpler.

I drove home from work yesterday in an awful Midwest storm that generated tornadoes and high winds with lots of rain. I saw two or three roads washed out pretty quickly and I was just wondering if my power was still on.

First chance I get to pick up another UPS I will be grabbing one for my own Deep Water Culture grow!

One day I'd love to have a small battery cabinet for the entire house just to deal with brown-outs and to have the ability to attach solar panels to the house when they finally get the high efficiency units on the market that we have all been waiting on for years.

Thanks MC!

I just hope it inspires somebody or helps them solve an issue. For Deep Water Culture I think a UPS is a smart investment especially if you can find them used for cheap on craigslist etc and don't have to pay shipping. Not having to worry about utility power is just one more thing to make your life simpler.

I drove home from work yesterday in an awful Midwest storm that generated tornadoes and high winds with lots of rain. I saw two or three roads washed out pretty quickly and I was just wondering if my power was still on.

First chance I get to pick up another UPS I will be grabbing one for my own Deep Water Culture grow!

One day I'd love to have a small battery cabinet for the entire house just to deal with brown-outs and to have the ability to attach solar panels to the house when they finally get the high efficiency units on the market that we have all been waiting on for years

I so want to learn how to do that! :)

Hey what's going on everyone. I'm in the process of getting some pics up this afternoon of the grow that I'm doing now. The BP was just started at 10am yesterday and my one girl in the bucket is almost a week old.bI want to give her a snack but I needed to know what exactly to feed her. Using gh3 part,with calmag, and floraliscious plus. So when I feed her do I give her a lil bit of everything?? Or just the gh3 part alone?? I was gona do 1/6 dosage. Thanks people!!

Mites and companion plants

I was doing some Google searches for plants that keep mites and other bugs away and came across "companion" plants. These are plants that you plant in the area of the plant that you want protected from the bugs. Some companion plants not only offer protection but sometimes can enhance some of the attributes of the other plants, such as taste. Of course this doesn't take the place of using a product such as Home Defense and the protection it affords for the general growing area.
I came across a product that inspired me to look for more information about "Natural" plant protection. I found "EcoSmart" "Organic Garden Insect Killer" at Home Depot. It's ingredients list: Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil, Thyme oil, clove oil all at .25 percent and the rest "other ingredients". It burnt some of my leaves but, it certainly DID kill the mites and from what I could see, it also killed the egg sacs too. (I used both magnifying glass and a microscope) So, a second application was not needed. I think that if I was to use it again, I would water it down by half so I would not get the leave burning. I also think that you could MAKE a similar concoction at home. I am going on one week since using it and am searching all of my leaves and plants for any further mites but have not yet found any.
For ridding the area of mites I found that growing the following list of plants along side your plants can help. This is just a partial list, you should do your own searches for more information about a specific pest.

Spider Mites: To repel spider mites use Onions, Garlic, Cloves or Chives.Basil -use with tomatoes and asparagus plants for flies, aphids, mites and mosquitoes. Helpful with tomato hornworms and asparagus beetles.

Garlic - seems to fit in anywhere -repels aphids, beetles, weevils, borers, and spider mites.

Henbit -most insects will stay away from henbit.
Onion -repels cabbage moths, aphids, weevils, carrot flies, moles. Controls rust flies and some nematodes and tomatoes against red spiders. May alter growth of peas and beans. Plant near beets,tomato,lettuce, strawberry, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Pyrethrum -repels most insects like aphids, leafhoppers, spider mites, ticks, and cabbage worms. Let me say that this product is highly misused and is now, considered by many gardening experts, not recommended for public use.

Dill — aphids, cabbage moths and spider mites

Fennel — aphids, slugs, snails and spider mites

Coriander/Cilantro — aphids, Colorado potato beetles and spider mites

Chives — aphids, Japanese beetles and spider mites

Cloves — cowpea curculio, spider mites and squash vine borers

I realize that I may not have posted this in the proper place (forum) and if necessary, I will repost it elsewhere.
I also realize that there have been other ways/solutions to this problem that have been posted. I have read all of them. Some have worked (for me) and some have not. Some can be done easily and some require a lot (to much) of work. Depending upon WHEN (in your grow period) you need to rid a plant of pests, solutions can or can not be done to save your work.
I would love to hear other suggestions along this particular line "Natural" or "Companion" remedies or solutions to pests.
:nomo:

Happy 1000 pages Deep Water Culture!

Here's to the next 1K!

000_05351.JPG

000_05242.JPG

000_0512.JPG

ok so im starting stress today and i didnt know if i should do it gradually or just start stickin thumbtacks everywhere and turn the fan on high for short intervals,had a bit of a scare with a mystirious 911 call reported from my house,(no one was here but me and my g/f)so im stressing and probly gonna chop on friday-saturday, im gonna drain the res on thursday to let them dry out a bit. it sucks to have to harvest a little early but better safe than sorry

Re: Mites and companion plants

I was doing some Google searches for plants that keep mites and other bugs away and came across "companion" plants. These are plants that you plant in the area of the plant that you want protected from the bugs. Some companion plants not only offer protection but sometimes can enhance some of the attributes of the other plants, such as taste. Of course this doesn't take the place of using a product such as Home Defense and the protection it affords for the general growing area.
I came across a product that inspired me to look for more information about "Natural" plant protection. I found "EcoSmart" "Organic Garden Insect Killer" at Home Depot. It's ingredients list: Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil, Thyme oil, clove oil all at .25 percent and the rest "other ingredients". It burnt some of my leaves but, it certainly DID kill the mites and from what I could see, it also killed the egg sacs too. (I used both magnifying glass and a microscope) So, a second application was not needed. I think that if I was to use it again, I would water it down by half so I would not get the leave burning. I also think that you could MAKE a similar concoction at home. I am going on one week since using it and am searching all of my leaves and plants for any further mites but have not yet found any.
For ridding the area of mites I found that growing the following list of plants along side your plants can help. This is just a partial list, you should do your own searches for more information about a specific pest.

Spider Mites: To repel spider mites use Onions, Garlic, Cloves or Chives.Basil -use with tomatoes and asparagus plants for flies, aphids, mites and mosquitoes. Helpful with tomato hornworms and asparagus beetles.

Garlic - seems to fit in anywhere -repels aphids, beetles, weevils, borers, and spider mites.

Henbit -most insects will stay away from henbit.
Onion -repels cabbage moths, aphids, weevils, carrot flies, moles. Controls rust flies and some nematodes and tomatoes against red spiders. May alter growth of peas and beans. Plant near beets,tomato,lettuce, strawberry, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Pyrethrum -repels most insects like aphids, leafhoppers, spider mites, ticks, and cabbage worms. Let me say that this product is highly misused and is now, considered by many gardening experts, not recommended for public use.

Dill — aphids, cabbage moths and spider mites

Fennel — aphids, slugs, snails and spider mites

Coriander/Cilantro — aphids, Colorado potato beetles and spider mites

Chives — aphids, Japanese beetles and spider mites

Cloves — cowpea curculio, spider mites and squash vine borers

I realize that I may not have posted this in the proper place (forum) and if necessary, I will repost it elsewhere.
I also realize that there have been other ways/solutions to this problem that have been posted. I have read all of them. Some have worked (for me) and some have not. Some can be done easily and some require a lot (to much) of work. Depending upon WHEN (in your grow period) you need to rid a plant of pests, solutions can or can not be done to save your work.
I would love to hear other suggestions along this particular line "Natural" or "Companion" remedies or solutions to pests.
:nomo:

I have used Eco Smart and it didn't burn my plants. Are you sure it was from the spray, or maybe from the leaves being wet with lights on?

With such a short interval to torture you can do whatever you want to them all at once.

While it's good to get the buds dry it is equally important for the chemical processes to have time to take their action. Rice might be good for a quick dry but jarring is where they go from ok to great.

With such a short interval to torture you can do whatever you want to them all at once.

While it's good to get the buds dry it is equally important for the chemical processes to have time to take their action. Rice might be good for a quick dry but jarring is where they go from ok to great.

ok thanks chief ,im not to worried about the rice it was just a thought but when jarring i will be carful,,just for the valuble info how do you go about the curing process(i want to make sure i do it right),,.i think by the end of the week they will pretty much be ready to harvest anyway,most of the hair is turning redish brown,cant really see the trichs except for a good close up zoomed pic

Back
Top Bottom