The humidity is too damn high

Could be. Smoothest smoke I ever had, I almost pitched because it had no green left at all. Got it off some random guy that was pounding on a stripper's apartment door, when I walked over to tell him that she wasn't home. He looked like he was stoned, lol, so I asked him if he had any for sale (I was only 14), and he dug a big handful out of what looked like one of those big ziploc freezer bags and just gave it to me, and asked me to tell Theresa that he'd stopped by.

It was some stellar sativa bud. Good enough that I still had some left when she got home and I walked back over to give her the message, and that's saying something because i used to smoke like it was my job. Well, sort of give her the message, heh. I couldn't remember what the guy said his name was. Then I pulled out the bud and showed it to her - and she figured out who it was :rofl: . Turned out, it was her dad - so I had good bud that whole Summer. . . .

I usually have smoother smoking buds if I slow the cure down a bit and it takes a couple weeks or more. We have naturally high humidity here , with 50% relatively low and seldom below 45 %. It often is in the 60% and higher ,up to 90% without rain. I never had a dehumidifier until the 1990's, and had no problems with attention to air circulation. I do use the dehumidifier these days when the humidity is above 50%, which is what I set the machine on for curing in the room. I have friends that live in places where the humidity is lower and they worry to much about humidity above 50% needlessly, since we have grown and successfully cured pot in very humid climates for generations, without dehumidifiers. If you live in a humid climate you learn to hang the plants without crowding them, remove the leaves from the plant asap and just hang the buds for curing. I still have to slow the drying down some, usually, for smoother smoke after the first 3 to 6 days by placing the buds loosely, in small cardboard boxes or dbl. paper bags to slightly slow the drying down so they smoke smoother. I try to not get below 60% as measured in a closed jar with the curing buds, before two to three weeks. Do not ever keep them in a closed container until they drop below 70 % and then watch very closely and open the containers several hours or more per day until 60% or lower moisture. When I have fast cured in a week using the dehumidifier on below 50% and leaving them hanging in the open all week, the smoke is usually harsher. On large crops I just omit the bags/boxes/jars and play with the room humidity and air flow, usually keeping it in the 50% range and baled or bagged the crop when the buds fall below 60% moisture. In fact the old timers told me when I was a kid they cured pot in the tobacco curing sheds, (usually without electricity until the early 1960's). I lost about a pound of buds curing once, from fungus mold because I crowded it and left the leaves on and did not use a circulating air fan or the dehumidifier. Good luck to all!

Guy who first advised me, way back when, stated, "A long, slow dry is the first and most important part of the curing process, not a separate thing."

Of course, back then it was all outdoor grows... The "one for the deer, one for the hikers, one for LEO, one for the caterpillars, one for the drought, and one for me" attitude allowed for some "wastage." If you and a friend or two harvest eight, ten, or fifteen pounds in the fall... ending up with seven, nine, or 13 pounds of well-cured sin semilla was greatly preferable to eight, ten, or fifteen pounds of "just dry green." Move indoors and reduce those pounds to the same number of ounces, and it might change some people's thoughts in that regard. Unfortunately. Might be sort of like the way we treat our seeds, as opposed to - for example - corn, which we can purchase relatively cheaply by the pound, lol.

Guy who first advised me, way back when, stated, "A long, slow dry is the first and most important part of the curing process, not a separate thing."

Of course, back then it was all outdoor grows... The "one for the deer, one for the hikers, one for LEO, one for the caterpillars, one for the drought, and one for me" attitude allowed for some "wastage." If you and a friend or two harvest eight, ten, or fifteen pounds in the fall... ending up with seven, nine, or 13 pounds of well-cured sin semilla was greatly preferable to eight, ten, or fifteen pounds of "just dry green." Move indoors and reduce those pounds to the same number of ounces, and it might change some people's thoughts in that regard. Unfortunately. Might be sort of like the way we treat our seeds, as opposed to - for example - corn, which we can purchase relatively cheaply by the pound, lol.
Yes indeed! I grew outdoors for about 15 years before starting successful indoor growing. It never even occurred to me to grow indoors until the 1980's! The heavy aerial spying made that a necessity about that time!

Yes indeed! I grew outdoors for about 15 years before starting successful indoor growing. It never even occurred to me to grow indoors until the 1980's! The heavy aerial spying made that a necessity about that time!

Sounds like a good story :thumb:

Big fields of green all look the same but not to the trained eye !

They have cameras that cannabis show up as a lighter color than most surrounding vegetation and stick out like a sore thumb! A girl friend's father was an aerial photographer hired by them to do aerial surveilences in the 80's. They worked a grid pattern across the entire state in segments. Hundreds were busted in Tennessee, alone. You could see them working. An airplane would fly over, ten minutes later it would fly back just a short space aside from the previous path , over and over till they disappeared on the horizon. For several years, I saw this myself on several occasions. I imagine they can do that with the spy satellites now days.

Back
Top Bottom