The humidity is too damn high

Doctor Trevor

Hat's off to Jimmy MacMillan for the title!

My girls are about ready to harvest. Problem is that the humidity, for the past few days has been extremely high in NYC. I ordered a dehumidifier but that's two days away.
I'm thinking of harvest them a few days early, before mold can set in. And then use a space heater to dry up the air in the room (outside the tent). The temperature, of course would rise, but would it hurt the plants at this point?

TIA.

Electric heat is best for a moist room if can be done. And good circulation.

Gas heat adds moisture so not helpful

One more. A sharp persistent eye

Karma sent friend

I'm thinking of harvest them a few days early, before mold can set in.
If the first mold or mildew spores arrive today they will not show on the plants for several weeks, maybe as long as 4 weeks from now.

I figure that is why some growers have a hard time getting rid of mildews & molds when found on their indoor grows. The problem started so long ago that by the time they find the first signs the stuff is already well established.

But, with last night's heavy 1 and 3/4 inch rain and today's extreme humidity the basement grow area has crept up to 62% instead of the usual 50 to 55% this time of year. Plugged in and started both dehumidifiers and we will have to wait till later before worrying about any rise in temperatures.;)

Curing is usually about a week for me

I just don't want mold on the girls; I lost my last crop due to it.
I hear you just heaters for me have always dried things to fast.
Guess if u micro manage it.
Could work well.
As its not in the space with the bud.
But for me its a dehumidifier set to 45% r/h in mid flower.
Keeps the mold at bay. when its hanging 50% seem to get ok results.. ;)

Dry them in the fridge? An interesting idea.

I was going to cut the plants from the ground and hang them upside in the tent without any light for a week.

indeed but we kinda new what each other was talking about .
Also there is a pretty kwel fridge dry journal / tuto knocking about on the forum.
Maybe @SmokingWings can point you in the right direaction.
;)

My girls are about ready to harvest. Problem is that the humidity, for the past few days has been extremely high in NYC. I ordered a dehumidifier but that's two days away.
I'm thinking of harvest them a few days early, before mold can set in. And then use a space heater to dry up the air in the room (outside the tent). The temperature, of course would rise, but would it hurt the plants at this point?

TIA.

Ml

TIA.
Quick hillbilly way, get ya some Damprid, bag or bucket.

If the first mold or mildew spores arrive today they will not show on the plants for several weeks, maybe as long as 4 weeks from now.

I figure that is why some growers have a hard time getting rid of mildews & molds when found on their indoor grows. The problem started so long ago that by the time they find the first signs the stuff is already well established.

But, with last night's heavy 1 and 3/4 inch rain and today's extreme humidity the basement grow area has crept up to 62% instead of the usual 50 to 55% this time of year. Plugged in and started both dehumidifiers and we will have to wait till later before worrying about any rise in temperatures.;)

Ye bud rot normally takes a few weeks or so for the spores to spread & form the mold !

That don't happen very quickly :thumb:

So what is wrong with waiting those extra days before your order turns up ?

Also there is a pretty kwel fridge dry journal / tuto knocking about on the forum.
Maybe @SmokingWings can point you in the right direaction.
;)
I don't know about a journal for 'fridge drying' but there is a gawd awful long thread going.

It is a seriously good idea to read the first couple of pages. That will give the history of how people started to work through the method and explains why some of the procedure works. Just jumping right to the end will not give this info.

The basics include a frost-free fridge and basic brown paper bags. The plants are not hung up to dry. Instead the flowers are cut off or the colas cut into lengths of about 6" up to 9" so they can fit into the paper bag. Toss any small pieces of flower into the bag to minimize any waste. Put in fridge in an out of the way spot. After a couple of days start to check the buds to see if they are dry. Once dry prepare them as usual for going into the jars for the cure stage.

Do not use white or colored paper bags. The basic brown bags are porous and moisture can move through the paper. Bags with colors, etc are often coated or a finer wood pulp so air& moisture exchange is extremely slow, sometimes does not even happen. I have tried and brown grocery bags are the way to go.

I put a piece of masking tape with the date the bag is going into the fridge on it. Our memories are not the best when we keep adding to what we store up there. It does not take much and we start to forget when we started the fridge process. There is a greater fudge factor with fridge & paper bag drying. It is OK to leave them longer in the fridge if the grower forgets, is out of town, has other pressing family matters, etc. Days, not weeks, but hopefully anyone reading gets the idea.

This is important. It usually takes about a week to 10 days and when checking the bag the buds will "feel" dry, almost like when flowers are dried in a tent or dark room. This does not mean that they are actually dry, just that they are getting closer. Take the bag out and leave it somewhere, unopened, for an hour or two. Then check again. Most of the time, and I mean most of the time, about 99%, the buds will not feel dry anymore. Back in the fridge. At this point I will check again in 2 days and maybe back in the fridge and start checking every day to 1 and 1/2 days.

Some people are working out how to dry and then do the cure in the fridge. I just dry and when ready, put the buds into the jars.

Read the first few pages and then jump around getting an idea of what the others have done working your way to the end. Or, skim through everything all the way to the end. But, read the first few pages.
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/drziggys-low-and-slow-drying-maximizing-your-harvest.366783/

I live were the average humidity is near 70 percent( 45 to 50 % is low here) and often humidity may be 90 percent without rain. Good ventilation and situational awareness is enough for me this past 56 years I have been growing cannabis. I do not allow water to remain sitting in trays or over water the plants. I have a dehumidifier but seldom use it. Good air flow and dry leaves inhibit fungus growth, even here. I am not growing in a damp basement but suspect more air flowing over the plants may be all that is needed , if mold is not growing already in your grow room environment.

My plants have been hanging inside my tent in a room with a dehumidifier and an air conditioner for six days. Humidity is still 55% or higher. This morning I checked on them. The stalks did not break when I bent them.

I'm leaving the tent open now for better ventilation. I have black out curtains in the room so it's fairly dark.
I am trying to dry a small amount in the fridge; it's not drying any faster there.

Don't know.

I dry the buds in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator so it is done at cooler, almost cold, temperatures.

When I do the cure it is in sealed glass canning jars at room temperatures.

Do you end up with cured bud, or is it still green? Someone sent me some bud that had been done in a refrigerator, two or three years back, and it was still green as could be with chlorophyll. I didn't know whether the refrigerator interfered with the cueing process, she got it too dry to cure, or just wasn't interested in cured bud... and I was too embarrassed to ask, lol. (It was a gift - which I appreciated - and was afraid that I might hurt her feelings.)

I am trying to dry a small amount in the fridge; it's not drying any faster there.
It is not supposed to dry faster in the fridge. The drying is at a lower temperature and takes longer. One of the big bonuses is that it is more forgiving if the grower leaves it in there too long unlike trying to do the dry stage in a dark room or tent where one extra day can leave the dry buds harsher smoking than what we would prefer.

Someone sent me some bud that had been done in a refrigerator, two or three years back, and it was still green as could be with chlorophyll. I didn't know whether the refrigerator interfered with the cueing process, she got it too dry to cure, or just wasn't interested in cured bud...
Maybe she left it in the fridge for the same amount of time she would leave the buds hanging on a line and then pulled it out figuring it was as 'done' as it was going to get. Or, as you mention, maybe she wasn't interested in a cure.

There are people out there who believe the harder they cough the better the smoke and the 'high'.

Back
Top Bottom