The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

Can you dig this. This over 50 was started in 2014. Maybe they need a new title, The Senior Grow
“The Mountain “ works for me…
:hookah:

I can see the 20 gal Old Guy if I was gonna grow outside and photo's -- but I'm inside a 6x6x7 and autos are for only 90 days , can't see them filling out a 20 gal pot . But I do profess the use of all knowledge good and bad -- growing since 14 and at 61 I'm still in the learning phase..

This first grow with the new led is just for shits & giggles -- getting the feel of the new led -- all HPS before..

Happy Growing

MotaMan
You are going to love the
“The Mountain “ works for me…
:hookah:
You're gonna love the LED's. You may notice that your plants are shorter with much thicker stems. The HPS don't provide enough blue light compared to a decent LED. I put a fan blowing across my drivers to see them cooler. It still adds heat to the tent but the lights never get hot.
I got excited to see a more mature posting. This thread is too long for me to find the "write spot" for me to fit right into.

You are going to love the

You're gonna love the LED's. You may notice that your plants are shorter with much thicker stems. The HPS don't provide enough blue light compared to a decent LED. I put a fan blowing across my drivers to see them cooler. It still adds heat to the tent but the lights never get hot.
I got excited to see a more mature posting. This thread is too long for me to find the "write spot" for me to fit right into.
Plus, you can run the grow tent temps hotter with LEDs than you can with HID or HPS. Since the LED light spectrum is so narrowly fixed, temps of 82-85 deg. F are best for photosynthesis and growth under LEDs. Makes life a lot simpler.

ppm Charlie

This is some good information. I’ve tried to keep my grow closet temps under 80F. Good to know that I can run it up to 85 or so. I have a small 3x4x5 grow room. I’ve found that LEDs do put out heat, and in a small space, the heat can build up if you don’t have some kind of ventilation.

Thanks once again fellow growers -- my 6x6x7 is vented along the top - and 2 opposite vents on bottom.. So I hope that my new led wont heat the place up like my former HPS..

My Northern Berry sprouts are a wk old and Pineapple Express just poked her head through the Happy Frog soil that I'll be using for this first led grow of mine..

Going to be using CO2 bags for the first time basing my decision on grows that I've seen that have used them as opposed without.

HAPPY GROWING ALL

MotaMan

Here's an update to my 10-28 post....

One photo of my Durban Poison plant. This is only about 4-5 weeks into flower. The stretch seems to be over. I flipped when the plant was about 17-18 inches tall, and it's put on about 10 inches and stopped. This might seems small to you outdoor growers, but it fits perfectly in my small grow closet. My goal is about 2 dried and cured ounces per plant. The buds are filling out nicely on this plant. I don't expect "bud swell" to start for about 2-3 weeks. These are three of the primary colas...

IMG_0252.JPG

One photo of my Durban Poison plant. This is only about 4-5 weeks into flower. The stretch seems to be over. I flipped when the plant was about 17-18 inches tall, and it's put on about 10 inches and stopped. This might seems small to you outdoor growers, but it fits perfectly in my small grow closet. My goal is about 2 dried and cured ounces per plant. The buds are filling out nicely on this plant. I don't expect "bud swell" to start for about 2-3 weeks. These are three of the primary colas...

IMG_0252.JPG
Nice Hiker!

I prefer plants of about that size - so much easier to work with!

Hey Old Guy,

Those are beautiful, but too tall for my 5' grow space...:cool:

I'm here in the east, and Virginia just became legal this year. I only grow for myself, so I wouldn't know what to do with all that ganja. If I get 3 ounces each from 3 plants, I'm happy and high for a year.

We have 5 growers In Our group of Old Hippie Musician farts. we each grow a different variety and supply pharmacies in the LA area. I got a new Heart 7 years ago. One OZ lasts me a year. It's Just a project we all Look forward to....."A BRO thing" March to late October. We Specialize in Old school Varieties.
In LA just about everyone I Know is a Grower. Im Coming up to 80 soon. Had a great time, Quit school at 16 when Rock first happened. I learned the drums and got to Play with Just about everyone for 50+ Years thanks to My dad who was VERY supportive and let me quit school at 15 when Rock was a Brand new thing....LOL growing weed is just fun and I sell out every year, This year I got about 6.2 LBs. we all share the gross.
I also teach Product Photography Now in Bev Hills. Were growing Sour D clones for next year soon. As we do every year. LA is very Forward thinking!!!!!!
www.Rinderart.com

2 weeks mar 28  2021.jpg

concert 3 early 70's.jpg

This is some good information. I’ve tried to keep my grow closet temps under 80F. Good to know that I can run it up to 85 or so. I have a small 3x4x5 grow room. I’ve found that LEDs do put out heat, and in a small space, the heat can build up if you don’t have some kind of ventilation.
Yes, you can find web links to commercial cannabis grower and LED vendor studies that show that leaf surface temps are lower under LEDs than HID or HPS. Therefore, running your LED grow tent temp, LED grow closet temp or LED grow room temp in the mid-80's F is necessary for higher leaf surface temps to allow for proper photosynthesis. 75 deg F under HID or HPS is equal to 85 deg F under LED for leaf surface temp purposes (based on those LED light studies). Apparently, leaf surface temp is one important key to proper photosynthesis.

Adequate ventilation is a must too. I believe the minimum air turnover in a tent or room should be at least one tent or room volume every three minutes, without CO2 enhancement. I believe growers that run CO2 in their sealed grow rooms ventilate, as necessary, based on temp, humidity and CO2 concentration in the grow space air. With LEDs, CO2 enhanced growers can actually run temps up to 90 deg F, apparently (web reports).

You can measure leaf surface temp yourself using an IR temp device (gun). IR temp measurement guns are relatively cheap online, however, quality leaf temp data may be less useful using the cheapest IR temp gun. You can always rent an IR temp gun too to check your crop.

Personally, I find the strains I am growing do best in the 82 to 86 deg F range under LEDs.

Thanks once again fellow growers -- my 6x6x7 is vented along the top - and 2 opposite vents on bottom.. So I hope that my new led wont heat the place up like my former HPS..

My Northern Berry sprouts are a wk old and Pineapple Express just poked her head through the Happy Frog soil that I'll be using for this first led grow of mine..

Going to be using CO2 bags for the first time basing my decision on grows that I've seen that have used them as opposed without.

HAPPY GROWING ALL

MotaMan
Yeah...I have a 4 X 8 X 7.8 flowering tent I just set up. I have four 2,000-watt LED panel lights mounted in it. I thought I may have a heat problem but I do not. I run 82-85 deg F. Plants love it (near harvest I may cut the temp back a bit, based in the strains I grow). I have a "always-on" 6-inch extraction fan with carbon filter at one tent end near the roof exhausting tent air to the "great outdoors". I have and two low level floor intake air vents at either end, a 4-inch and a 6-inch. Passive air intake, no intake fans.

I find I can use a inexpensive Variac to control the speed of the extraction fan which in turn controls the intake air flow and also controls the tent temp. I also have a humidifier in the tent because of the dry fall/winter weather with two large 16-inch oscillating fans at either tent end. Seems to work well. I do notice a little variation in the humidity (+/- 3%) over the entire tent space, but it is within the error range of the cheap humidity gauges.

Let me know how your CO2 bags work out. Generally, with an "unsealed" grow space and continuous air exhaust, CO2 enhanchement is not that helpful since the extra CO2 is just sucked out the exhaust. That is why I do not use it. Also, most grow tents are not well "sealed". The only real way to "seal" a grow area is to enclose/seal it completely (i.e. super-dooper amateur and professional grow rooms). Zippers in grow tents are common places for leaks of air in/out. Shine a flashlight on one of those closed plastic zippers and look at the other side and you will see the "light" and know what I mean.

IMG_0252.JPG
Lovely!

We have 5 growers In Our group of Old Hippie Musician farts. we each grow a different variety and supply pharmacies in the LA area. I got a new Heart 7 years ago. One OZ lasts me a year. It's Just a project we all Look forward to....."A BRO thing" March to late October. We Specialize in Old school Varieties.
In LA just about everyone I Know is a Grower. Im Coming up to 80 soon. Had a great time, Quit school at 16 when Rock first happened. I learned the drums and got to Play with Just about everyone for 50+ Years thanks to My dad who was VERY supportive and let me quit school at 15 when Rock was a Brand new thing....LOL growing weed is just fun and I sell out every year, This year I got about 6.2 LBs. we all share the gross.
I also teach Product Photography Now in Bev Hills. Were growing Sour D clones for next year soon. As we do every year. LA is very Forward thinking!!!!!!
www.Rinderart.com

2 weeks mar 28  2021.jpg

concert 3 early 70's.jpg
Big hearts and like minds...that is what makes the world turn and promotes peaceful harmony in the Universe.

An LED light bar for cannabis puts out very little heat because that's how they're designed. The manufacturer comes up with a PAR spectrum that fits their target price and there's no value to adding LED's that operate in the IR spectrum. Cannabis responds to PAR. Ponderosa uses heat lamps.

The larger component of heat generation for LED's is the driver. If you need heat in the grow environment, bring it into the tent. If not, move it outside.

Given that LED's give off very little heat compared to an incandescent light source, you should increase your ambient temperature by about 10°F. I'm a new grower with only 2 ½ grows under my belt but one way to help remove all doubt is to follow VPD and LST ("leaf surface temperature"). The PulseOne is made by a startup in LA and it does a good job of keeping that part of the growing environment on the right track.

An LED light bar for cannabis puts out very little heat because that's how they're designed. The manufacturer comes up with a PAR spectrum that fits their target price and there's no value to adding LED's that operate in the IR spectrum. Cannabis responds to PAR. Ponderosa uses heat lamps.

The larger component of heat generation for LED's is the driver. If you need heat in the grow environment, bring it into the tent. If not, move it outside.

Given that LED's give off very little heat compared to an incandescent light source, you should increase your ambient temperature by about 10°F. I'm a new grower with only 2 ½ grows under my belt but one way to help remove all doubt is to follow VPD and LST ("leaf surface temperature"). The PulseOne is made by a startup in LA and it does a good job of keeping that part of the growing environment on the right track.
Yeah...I have a 4 X 8 X 7.8 flowering tent I just set up. I have four 2,000-watt LED panel lights mounted in it. I thought I may have a heat problem but I do not. I run 82-85 deg F. Plants love it (near harvest I may cut the temp back a bit, based in the strains I grow). I have a "always-on" 6-inch extraction fan with carbon filter at one tent end near the roof exhausting tent air to the "great outdoors". I have and two low level floor intake air vents at either end, a 4-inch and a 6-inch. Passive air intake, no intake fans.

I find I can use a inexpensive Variac to control the speed of the extraction fan which in turn controls the intake air flow and also controls the tent temp. I also have a humidifier in the tent because of the dry fall/winter weather with two large 16-inch oscillating fans at either tent end. Seems to work well. I do notice a little variation in the humidity (+/- 3%) over the entire tent space, but it is within the error range of the cheap humidity gauges.

Let me know how your CO2 bags work out. Generally, with an "unsealed" grow space and continuous air exhaust, CO2 enhanchement is not that helpful since the extra CO2 is just sucked out the exhaust. That is why I do not use it. Also, most grow tents are not well "sealed". The only real way to "seal" a grow area is to enclose/seal it completely (i.e. super-dooper amateur and professional grow rooms). Zippers in grow tents are common places for leaks of air in/out. Shine a flashlight on one of those closed plastic zippers and look at the other side and you will see the "light" and know what I mean.
I heard someone recently state the new LED lights (I'll assume a Samsung 301 diode) should be somewhere between 25-40 watts/sf. At 250 watts/sf you must spend a whopping amount on energy. With this much energy into a 4X8 you do have a heat problem that's why you run your exhaust, that and humidity right. You replace this air with fresh cold drier air that you pay to heat, humidify, and exhaust.
You should only need about 1500 watts of diodes for 32sf. That is a lot less heat so you can turn down your constant exhaust fan (keep your circulation fans running). With your extraction fan turned down you are not constantly sucking in so much dry air. Maybe you may not need a humidifier but, a dehumidifier instead.
I don't want to have a debate about VPD, PAR, Temp. There are other more energy efficient ways to accomplish your same goals. Lots of ways to crack eggs.

Back
Top Bottom