This is my second Plea For Help - Nasty Thing in My Soil

sunnyside58

Ugliness found in my potted plant

Aloha to All,
Can someone please help me to identify this ugly grub or what ever it is? I found this in my soil in one of my potted plant and if it is in one, it may as well be in the others so I need to get it named and if anyone knows, how do I rid them from my plants. Oh, and are they harmful? I have lived in Hawaii all my life and have never seen anything like this. I am an outdoor grower and I am using organic soil.
What_is_this_found_in_my_plant_soil_006.JPG
What_is_this_found_in_my_plant_soil_005.JPG
What_is_this_found_in_my_plant_soil_002.JPG

Aloha to all,
This is my second plea for help. No one has replied on this nasty thing I have never seen here in Hawaii. I really need to know what it is. Is it harming my plants? How do I kill it? I have more info on my first plea. HELP ME..
What_is_this_found_in_my_plant_soil_006.JPG
What_is_this_found_in_my_plant_soil_005.JPG
What_is_this_found_in_my_plant_soil_002.JPG

Hey mate,
Sorry you havent gotten a response yet?? But im from Australia, and im not 100% sure, but they look like a native grub we find around here, usually they are found in moist soil a foot or so down, i believe they are harmless to weed plants.. They just live their larvae stages under soil, gradually changing until they grow big and emerge as a species of moth i think?? So i wouldnt stress, ill check it out some more for you, and ill try get a specific name and details for ya:)
Later mate, SMOKEMUP;)

Well i ve found some news for you..
They are called 'curl grubs' and can be from a species of Scarab beetle, rhinocerous beetle, Mcfahers Masked grub, and a few other beetle species. It says they eat roots..BAD!!! And if found in a pot, should be re potted immediately in new soil.. Some species crawl to surface at night to feed on leaves and some have been knowwn to eat the roots of strawberries to the stalk..
SO GET YOUR PLANTS AWAY FROM EM!!!! Sorry, i thought they may have been harmless, but i should have known from them evil teeth!!!
Its just like the soil mites ive just found in my pot, I FREAKED RIGHT OUT AND THOUGHT 'SPIDER MITES'..
So yeah if your girls are in the ground near where you found that grub, you MAY HVE TROUBLE:(

I higher recommend you try Aza-Max it will help get rid of all bugs. It will make it damn near impossible for them to eat your plant or roots. You can soil drench or foliar with it, and it is OMRI certified.

In my most recent grow, which I'll get a grow journal going for soon, I've been trying one week SNS-217 and one week Aza-Max alternating. However SNS is for spider mites only.

Aloha Lyra,
Thank You so much for your info and recommendation of moving them inside. I will be doing that as soon as I kill the S.O.B's. Much Mahalo and
"Keep It Green". Aloha

Thank You Smokemup, I really appreciate all your info and time to tell me about them. You have a wonderful way with words. lol Much Mahalo. May I please add you to my contact list? I won't "Bug" ya ( pardon the pun). Aloha and you have a great day. Keep It Green.
P.S. I am going to use Aza-Max to try and kill them nasty grubs. My plants would also like to thank you from the bottom of their roots.

Hey Gal, guess what, the thing you found in ur soil was a big one, cause whatever it is, I found one laying 30-40 eggs at a time in multiple colas, including the main one. And I caught 1 baby with a toothpick, it's a pretty lame infestation, but hey, it could be worse with things like fungus. Luckily so far this thing has only costed me a few little nugs..we'll see though, only a couple more weeks till harvest.

Aloha Relaxed Lee, Yes it could be worse. I have not found any babies or any other bugs in my buds. That big S.O.B. was in 3 of my plants soil only. I am almost positive it came with the soil I bought and I only used that bag for the 3 pots that I found them in and it was after harvesting those plants. I am using a different soil for the rest of my plants and shall see if it was the soil or they came from my yard. Oh I hope not from my yard. I treated my yard. It's hard to know they are there until after harvest and I dump the used soil and that is when I find them. It didn't do any harm, my crop was bad-ass regardless of those nasty grubs. I shall see with the next harvest. Much Mahalo for replying to my problem.
" Keeping It Green" Aloha

The ones you found were gigantic. Those things I found smaller ones, like size of small worms. The momma crawled through each main cola nug laying 30-40 eggs at a time, when she got to the tip of the main cola, she burrowed into the stalk, and hallowed it out. So after a few days, i noticed, and cut down the cola to save what i could. Turns out they ruined mostly everything. With the worms burrowing and drilling perfect pathways/holes to travel through the bud. They had a little castle! Not only that, but since I am about 1 minute from the beach I found a decent amount of mold in the main cola. Very unfortunate, and while I was cutting this main cola, my high dumbass cut the tip of my middle finger off. Now dealing with all of this. I will be harvesting what I can, while I can, before the insects take over or fungus grows.
photo_9_18.JPG

Outdoor by the beach is tough. Anyway, just thought you should know because they are the same insect except the one you caught is HUGE compared to the ones I found.

Well i ve found some news for you..
They are called 'curl grubs' and can be from a species of Scarab beetle, rhinocerous beetle, Mcfahers Masked grub, and a few other beetle species. It says they eat roots..BAD!!! And if found in a pot, should be re potted immediately in new soil.. Some species crawl to surface at night to feed on leaves and some have been knowwn to eat the roots of strawberries to the stalk..
SO GET YOUR PLANTS AWAY FROM EM!!!! Sorry, i thought they may have been harmless, but i should have known from them evil teeth!!!
Its just like the soil mites ive just found in my pot, I FREAKED RIGHT OUT AND THOUGHT 'SPIDER MITES'..
So yeah if your girls are in the ground near where you found that grub, you MAY HVE TROUBLE:(

Hi we have them that HUGE in Queensland you can immerse pots in water which will cause them to surface others suggest Condys Chrystals from the chemist mixed with water will kill them, but it does kill worms as well so use only for treating pots.. they say over watering your pots or using synthetic fertilizers attract them?

Re: Ugliness found in my potted plant

Thanks for all the help. GOT NONE...
It's a beetle larvae that some soil company had it in their soil. It is invasive but our agriculture dept. Is on the case. So who won member of the month when I plead for help?

Re: Ugliness found in my potted plant

Thanks for all the help. GOT NONE...
It's a beetle larvae that some soil company had it in their soil. It is invasive but our agriculture dept. Is on the case. So who won member of the month when I plead for help?

Sunny I don't care about the member of the month thing but I just now saw your post and am sorry I did not reply sooner. I'm glad you found the answers yourself that you needed but I am willing to be of any help to you that I can if needed now or in the future. Please just hit my journal in my signature and feel free to post there and I will respond asap and if I don't know what you need there certainly will be someone through in a short period of time that will be able to help. Again I really am sorry you got no help when needed. Been there and it blows. Honestly if you will just post your questions in my journal they will be addressed much quicker as I am not sure how often this link is followed.....:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom