Grow Stage - day 9 flowering
Bucket Size - 4 Gallon
Lights - (2) 200 Watt Bestva Pro2000W, each running 50%
Nutrients - Geoflora Veg & Bloom (Bloom only now), Terpinator
Medium - 80% Fox Farm Ocean-Forest, Perlite 20%
Room Temperature -78 to 84
Room Square Footage - 10' x 10'
Pests - Leucocoprinus Birnbaumii mushrooms

Problem: My brand new soil is sprouting yellow mushrooms I've identified as Leucocoprinus Birnbaumii. The fruiting bodies are considered toxic because of alkaloids that cause gastric ulcers. I am pretty certain those same alkaloids are present in the mushroom's mycelium growing throughout the soil. My concern is that my pot is going to take up those toxins from the soil and end up in my buds and my pipe. Should I scrap the whole grow and start over? I don't need no ulcers on my lungs!

20220606_164722r.jpg

20220606_164731r.jpg

I've never heard before that they are toxic. I get them in the majority of my houseplants (and I have a LOT of them) Have not had any problems. I do typically pull the mushrooms off and toss them, just so they aren't exploding spores everywhere, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference when I don't pull them either, except you can see the spores. I've only had it come up in two of my weed pots, but that was early on (and caused no problems), and now I put myco in on purpose so I think it trumps the yellow fungi.
eta: also, I almost only ever see them fruit around this time of year, they do not just do it randomly all of the time.

ur fine i promise
alkaloids toxicity google search
alkaloids are everywhere and i'm guessing the data that makes them say "you might get ulcers" is an exposure amount off the scale of regular exposure. probably some mouse was force fed 5mg a day or some ridiculous labrat shit.

I've never heard before that they are toxic. I get them in the majority of my houseplants (and I have a LOT of them) Have not had any problems. I do typically pull the mushrooms off and toss them, just so they aren't exploding spores everywhere, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference when I don't pull them either, except you can see the spores. I've only had it come up in two of my weed pots, but that was early on (and caused no problems), and now I put myco in on purpose so I think it trumps the yellow fungi.
eta: also, I almost only ever see them fruit around this time of year, they do not just do it randomly all of the time.
I'm guessing you don't eat or smoke your houseplants, so it wouldn't be a problem anyway unless they compete for nutrients. There are many very nasty mushrooms that can kill you and do all sorts of damage to the human body.

It's ok, though. Mudballs promises I'll be fine. I'll mail you a lung when I hack it up, Mudballs...

I'm guessing you don't eat or smoke your houseplants, so it wouldn't be a problem anyway unless they compete for nutrients. There are many very nasty mushrooms that can kill you and do all sorts of damage to the human body.

It's ok, though. Mudballs promises I'll be fine. I'll mail you a lung when I hack it up, Mudballs...
That's true, about the houseplants. But I also had zero problems with smoking the two weed plants that had them ... and for all I know, many of my other weed plants could have had it, it seems to come with the soil I buy - but if it only fruits late spring/early summer (for me) I might never know. I do know it has been in my houseplant pots for years, and I have no troubles yet, except the occasional powdery spore mess to clean if a big one pops before I pull it.

Well, that's encouraging, Sueet. I hope my plants turn out ok and don't taste like burning paper or some weird sh##. They got Geoflora Bloom and some Mycorrhizae today. Hoping the microbes in the GF and the myco swamp out the Leucocoprinus mycelium.
That is the combo I am using now, myco and geoflora, seems to work great. My flowers are not as huge as they got with MC but they seem pretty happy overall so I'm not complaining.

Back
Top Bottom