I'm wondering what thoughts growers have towards the EZ CO2 bags. I'm a noob and am gonna start my first grow soon I was looking into using those for now and switching to a real co2 system once I get experience. Thanks!!
Toke up

Heard they are crap.

I use DYI sugar/yeast set-up personally. 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspn dry yeast, last 3-4 days for me. But i shake it like every 3 hours. Takes 12 hours to really get going once the mix is made. I think it works great. Would like to get a CO2 meter. This is a 2x2 tent

A guy I knew in college was going to put a hamster in with his plant to enrich the CO2. I thought that was at the theoretical end of things, but I see in my readings that even just having a few people in a room raises the CO2 significantly it there's no ventilation (i.e. makes the room stuffy).

I saw a video on YouTube of a commercial grow room that had propane burners controlled by a CO2 sensor for CO2 enrichment, but a combustion source seems like it's going to add unwanted heat and worse, CO without the "2." Bad.

People who keep aquariums with lots of plants in them often bubble CO2 into the water to enhance plant growth, since CO2 is the limiting nutrient in aquatic systems, and OMG, does it ever work! The plants in the tank start growing so fast that they start to produce bubbles of oxygen on their leaves!

So naturally the planted aquarium people have come up with EZ CO2 systems that use yeast growing in a bottle to make CO2, which does the job for small volumes but is messy and needs lots of attention.

What I finally realized was the easiest solution was a 20-pound tank of CO2 from my local gas supplier with a needle valve to enable tiny amounts to be released in a controlled manner. The gas supplier can sell you the regulator and hosing, and you can get the needle valve from an industrial supply house. You can even put an electric valve in the loop if you want to control it with a CO2 sensor.

That does take some time and money, but as far as I can see, it's the only practical solution.

That said, it seems to me that adding CO2 is one of the last steps in enhancing your grow room, and the for most people, focusing first on water, nutrients, light, and air circulation comes first...

But if CO2 does anything for cannabis growth like it does for plants in an aquarium, it must be worth the hassle and expense!

If you use blurple lights, no need for CO2, because your plant will barely use it, because the light isnt strong enough, AND the lack of Green spectrum that drives the plant to uptake CO2 at a faster pace.

If you use blurple lights, no need for CO2, because your plant will barely use it, because the light isnt strong enough, AND the lack of Green spectrum that drives the plant to uptake CO2 at a faster pace.

I don't mean to be contradictory, but although I have read statements about spectrum and CO2 usage more than once here, that can't possibly be true. Carbon dioxide is a plant's sole source of carbon, and because every plant needs a lot of carbon to build all of those organic molecules with carbon skeletons that it's cranking out all day, every plant needs a lot of carbon dioxide, no matter what color the light is.

Anything helps
Unless you're dealing with heat issues, I'd focus on other ways to enhance yield.
I've used the bottle with yeast method. It wasn't creating enough and for the amount of air exchange I had.

Short story long, like Scientific said, cannisters with controlled release would be most effective.

What's got you thinking about this application?

I don't mean to be contradictory, but although I have read statements about spectrum and CO2 usage more than once here, that can't possibly be true. Carbon dioxide is a plant's sole source of carbon, and because every plant needs a lot of carbon to build all of those organic molecules with carbon skeletons that it's cranking out all day, every plant needs a lot of carbon dioxide, no matter what color the light is.

I did say barely use it, and yes, it is, your correct, but what i said is blurple doenst engineer enough green spectrum to uptake MORE. Yes, plants need it, but also, outside they have CO2 anyways, and the sun creates so much green spectrum that if there was an abundance of CO2 outside, the plants would be monstrous, just like a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago.

growers babble is all, pass it already,

Im using CO2, and Im using a high green spectrum, ( 4000k ) and its kickin ass, for the power that is feeding them.

I'm a newbie and I'm going to start my first grow soon, upon looking for supplies I saw the EZ CO2. One day I will get a tank and regulator when I get more experience but I was just curious for the short term what other growers thought of the product. If any has used it and check with a meter to see how effective it was

The fungus bag product is interesting, but it's not going to be able to produce very much CO2. Maybe for a one-plant grow in a carefully controlled environment with very little leakage?

I've seen a lot of grows and have never seen CO2 used. My mentor who has grown for a living for over 30 years never uses it. He packs plants in pretty tight and still doesn't add CO2. His take was it always accelerated any problems he had as well as give faster growth. These are also soil grows. Hydro produces faster growth where more CO2 may be more important. The way I see it. When a grower whose crops pay the bills doesn't use it it might be over rated. Here is a pic of the room mentioned. The front 3rd of plants have
IMG_023272.JPG
been taken out for access.

Going back to the aquarium example, CO2 is present in the air at about 20 PPM and in water at about 4 PPM. It's a limiting nutrient in aquatic systems, so when you add it, growth is AMAZING. In fact, there are some aquatic plants that you can grow in a planted aquarium with CO2 that simply won't grow without it. The biggest problem I had with CO2 supplementation in an aquarium is that some of the faster growing plants simply grew TOO fast--10% taller a day--so I was always pruning.

In a really hot-rodded grow room, with hydroponics, 80000 lumen lights, and perfect nutrients levels, I could see where the plants could grow better with higher levels of CO2, but I would guess that just adding CO2 before you get to that supergrow level would probably not be the best use of funds.

I'm just talking theoretically here, and there are YouTube videos out there that show CO2 grow rooms in action, so my 2 cents isn't needed. I just think it's an interesting subject for people who want to take their grows to the highest level--right up there with exotic stuff like UV lights and such...

I think the CO2 works. But im in a small tent, 2x2. I see great growth, almost to fast. The ripping of the new leaves doesnt seems to happen till almost lights out. Just so much growth. 4000k based light, 600 par on canopy. My problem tho is i think light is too intense. Can go any higher. might have to manually diffuse my lenses with some wet sanding.

UV i hear is over rated, yield isnt worth the health risk. a simple full spectrum cob for 10% of your lights is good enough to get the benefits from the extended spectrum.

really wish i could afford a CO2 meter to do studies on CO2 and Cheap DYI installations.

want to add, I can tell a difference in how the leaves act when they dont have CO2. I let them go 1-2 days a week without on purpose to see effects and reactions.

I don't like the idea of UV either--too much potential for eye and skin damage to the unwary!

FWIW, the aquarium folks talk about getting the right balance of light, CO2, and nutrients, saying that aquatic plants can only take advantage of really bright lights with CO2 supplementation.

Just thinking out loud, you might be able to do some CO2 studies without a CO2 meter by just releasing a known volumes of CO2 into your tent, either at fixed intervals or with a needle flow control valve and seeing what effect that has. X growth at 1 cubic foot per day, X*Y growth at 2 cubic feet per day, etc... (My idea of a fun way to spend time. ;))

I've seen a lot of grows and have never seen CO2 used. My mentor who has grown for a living for over 30 years never uses it. He packs plants in pretty tight and still doesn't add CO2. His take was it always accelerated any problems he had as well as give faster growth. These are also soil grows. Hydro produces faster growth where more CO2 may be more important. The way I see it. When a grower whose crops pay the bills doesn't use it it might be over rated. Here is a pic of the room mentioned. The front 3rd of plants have
IMG_023272.JPG
been taken out for access.

Very Nice grow. One day I hope to have something like that!!!

Back
Top Bottom