Thoughts on General Hydroponics Nutrients

420 Novice

Hey everyone, I am just looking for peoples thoughts on General Hydroponics Nutrient Series. I choose them not knowing much but they seem to be easy to use especially being so new to all this. I would love to hear what others have success with. :rollit::ganjamon:
IMG_20210408_204356102_HDR.jpg

Hey everyone, I am just looking for peoples thoughts on General Hydroponics Nutrient Series. I choose them not knowing much but they seem to be easy to use especially being so new to all this. I would love to hear what others have success with. :rollit::ganjamon:
IMG_20210408_204356102_HDR.jpg
Fantastic girls my friend. I use GH floral trio with great success.
Nothing wrong with it if you choose to use it.
Bill

there are loads of great nutes out there. aside from the affiliation GH is not bad. at one point it was really all there was, they were there at the beginning of the hydro revolution of the late 70's early 80's. that was before monsanto. they have experience on their side.

advanced nutrients, emerald harvest, remo, grtk, holland secret, and a raft of other two and 3 part systems all owe their existence to GH. they all work about the same, at least if you stick to the base nutes. there are countless debates as to who does it better.

organic based systems like biobizz are a bit newer, but work much the same when paired with the right media for them.

a lot of growers are moving to a dry self mixed nute like jack's or mega crop. their biggest advantages are cost factor, and ease of use. commercial grows all use dry nutes they mix themselves as a cost saving factor.

then there is geo-flora, a dry nute top dress system gaining popularity. not available in most of the world though, but works great by the looks.

your plants look great. the important thing is to go with what you are comfy with and fills the jars. i've used dozens of nute systems over the years, it's mostly a matter of getting used to them. they are all a little different from each other, but not as much as they want you to believe.

O.K. I appreciate the honesty but also looking for alternatives that others have been successful with
MegaCrop its organic and can get good result. I dont use fertilizer but I was growing outdoors last year in the ground and used MegaCrop as a supplement. Worked great.

In ground tho required a lot more than a container ... I think I used 1/2 bag per application in 400ish gal of water twice during the grow season.

MegaCrop its organic and can get good result. I dont use fertilizer but I was growing outdoors last year in the ground and used MegaCrop as a supplement. Worked great.

In ground tho required a lot more than a container ... I think I used 1/2 bag per application in 400ish gal of water twice during the grow season.

mega crop is not organic. you keep getting that wrong everywhere,

Not wanting to argue just going on label contents and FAQ

Veganic is a few steps above "organic"

I grow organic. I have no problem shipping in Alpaca poop.

link
FAQ

they don't use the term in the manner you are. you are mistaking it for a similar term they use. they call it vegan, not veganic.

mega crop is not organic, and does not claim to be organic or veganic. they do use the term vegan, to describe the base components of the micronutes.

the big difference is organics feed a microbial herd which breaks the nutrients down to make them available to the plant.

there is nothing in mega crop which does that. many of the nutrients are available already in a form the plant can use (vegan) - but do not need microbial activity to make them available like true organics do. the macro nutrients are salt based and are not organic at all. they are the same as most bottle nutes.

greenleaf recommends ph'ing as the macro nutes work the same as any other chemical bottle nute. true organic grows do not require ph'ing.

maybe read through the mega crop thread that got closed a while back.

My reasoning for not using them goes back to the early days of my growing. The war on growers and cannabis was real and costly. General Hydroponics would not endorse or help growers with their needs. General Hydroponics advocated against the marijuana industry and helped keep it sustained. Yet they did not mind taking the money that growers were spending on their products.
Today they act as though they were big and early supporters of the marijuana industry. They were not and I will never knowingly spend a dime on their products.
Time and suggestion has a way of making people forget. They were not here to support you.

they don't use the term in the manner you are. you are mistaking it for a similar term they use. they call it vegan, not veganic.

mega crop is not organic, and does not claim to be organic or veganic. they do use the term vegan, to describe the base components of the micronutes.

the big difference is organics feed a microbial herd which breaks the nutrients down to make them available to the plant.

there is nothing in mega crop which does that. many of the nutrients are available already in a form the plant can use (vegan) - but do not need microbial activity to make them available like true organics do. the macro nutrients are salt based and are not organic at all. they are the same as most bottle nutes.

greenleaf recommends ph'ing as the macro nutes work the same as any other chemical bottle nute. true organic grows do not require ph'ing.

maybe read through the mega crop thread that got closed a while back.

Very familiar with Veganic.....local sourced even can use animal products if they are wild on your land. Its sustainable agriculture and organic.

I will use composted manure from my next door neighbors cows. He grows his own feeds and treats his animals right. I dont use it on cannabis just in my outdoor veggie gardens.

Not sure what your argument is....I'm basically an organic fiend.

I dont do anything conventional unless its growing weed. They call us home growers "conventional" same as farmers that use fertilizers and are NOT organic. smh

I grow 420% sustainable - everything. Soil water electricity and organically grown everything in all our gardens. Dont have any issue using MC outside in the ground.

I used it last summer outdoors I didn't ph. I just used 1/2 a bag 2x during flowering my plants were in the ground not in containers. They did great.

This just in from MegaCrop website and the linky I posted:

"MEGA CROP and our fertilizer products are Vegan fertilizers, and Organic compatible but do not official Organic (OMRI) certification. Vegan fertilizers have the exact same standards as Organic fertilizers as far as toxins, heavy metals, and other contaminants and pollutants. Our products are compatible with organic growing methods because they benefit the soil conditions and living microbes, do not contain any pesticides and do not harm soil or ecosystems.
“Organic” fertilizers refers to a certification done by the private company OMRI, which will give OMRI Listed® certification once paid the appropriate fees ($$) and requirements are met.
Vegan fertilizers have several advantages over Organic fertilizers.
  • Not sourced from animals, so no risk of antibiotics, antiobiotic resistant bacteria, pharmaceuticals, hormones or pathogens that are associated with animal based fertilizers
  • Far more water soluble and available to the plants, for better absorption, quicker and complete uptake by the plants
  • Lower environmental impact
  • Not supporting the animal agriculture industry which involved cruelty"

Not sure what your argument is....I'm basically an organic fiend.

i use MC almost exclusively. some of their terminology seems a little slippery at times though.
i actually a fan of the nute.

"MEGA CROP and our fertilizer products are Vegan fertilizers, and Organic compatible but do not official Organic (OMRI) certification. Vegan fertilizers have the exact same standards as Organic fertilizers as far as toxins, heavy metals, and other contaminants and pollutants. Our products are compatible with organic growing methods because they benefit the soil conditions and living microbes, do not contain any pesticides and do not harm soil or ecosystems.

this is what i refer to. the term vegan is not the same as veganic. veganic refers to the 'above' organic practices you describe. vegan is a somewhat co-opted term essentially wrapped up in the type of chelation MC uses for the micro nutes. it is entirely of their own invention.

and yes they won't interfere with actual organic processes.

“Organic” fertilizers refers to a certification done by the private company OMRI, which will give OMRI Listed® certification once paid the appropriate fees ($$) and requirements are met.

even if they paid for it, i'm not sure they could get it.

MC still uses salts for the heavy lifting. nitrates / sulfates etc comprise the majority.
this was all covered at length in the MC thread. :rip:

organic certification is not through private hands where i am from. it needs to meet a set of federal requirements before approval is granted. i'm sure the process is not cheap however.

considering MC quotes prices by the pallet, they could probably spare the change to get certed if they felt like it.
the fact they won't says volumes.

Vegan fertilizers have several advantages over Organic fertilizers.
  • Not sourced from animals, so no risk of antibiotics, antiobiotic resistant bacteria, pharmaceuticals, hormones or pathogens that are associated with animal based fertilizers
  • Far more water soluble and available to the plants, for better absorption, quicker and complete uptake by the plants
  • Lower environmental impact
  • Not supporting the animal agriculture industry which involved cruelty"

all good things, but mostly well positioned advertising. they ran for years on the same formulations without drawing attention to that side of the nute. they've tweaked things, but not much has changed.

i don't mind calling MC organic compatible. it is, as it won't interfere with most organic processes.

you can however lock plants out on it through excess, same as any other nute, and salts will build up in media with MC, very similar to bottle nutes, if the nute is over fed to the plant.

i simply believe it is important to ensure the proper terms are used. calling MC organic or even veganic is misleading.
it is a good nute though. it's all i use at the moment.

Good points... fer sure. I dont use it in containers only ever used it outdoors in the ground with good result. Prolly use it again this summer outside.

I've read the label and msds and doesn't seem to be much in the way of salts but its been a while since I looked (prolly read it last summer).

Last summer:

I used 1 bag in 2 separate waterings. lol Filled my tractor trailer with water and poured a 1/2 bag in there and watered. Did that 2x last summer in August at the onset of flowering and again a few weeks later. But again in the ground so plenty of soil buffering.

My plants seemed to do pretty good with it. Outdoors we got a lot of different things to worry about. Just getting to harvest is a win.

I stand corrected. I took another look ... I think I used the first generation product. The latest iteration is mostly salt based. I'm not a fan of that fer sure.

I can get everything my plants need without the salts.

Back
Top Bottom