Topping during flowering?

tomatofarmer

Welcome, Well on the product i started thinking; i might want to top 1 of my 3 plants and take a clone, this is my first grow but definitely not my last. My plants are about a week into flowering (all bag seeds) i was told not to trim until day 21. Would that be a good time to top or is flowering the worst time giving all the effort into growing the buds and flowers? And can i clone from a flowering plant? (these are all ideas not necessarily things im going to do or are dead set on doing, just trying to learn here)

I've always heard not to top once you start flowering if it get too tall bend it over and tie it down. I've seen where folks get clones from a flowering plants but I don't think they're tops more likely a side branch.

Topping in flowering delays bud production... they are loads of plant hormones/auxins in the growing tip of every branch you remove it has knock on effect.

Not the best way to clone from a flowering plant... it can be done if the clone/cutting is done very early in the flowering cycle, i've only done this the once whilst sexing the plant & used the lower branches for clone material which where not showing pistils/less developed.

Clones are best taken when the plant is in veg, i normally take clones from my own plants the day before i put them into flowering cycle by removing lower branches in the plant canopy which may not form well or crappy popcorn bud sites.

Others may keep mother plants.

topping to get clones is a good way to get really good plants that are good for scroging as you get tons of side branches from flowering clones. IF THATS YOUR INTENTION...otherwise leave them alone and use bending or training techniques if you want even plants or side branch increeses .[scrog or trelis] sea of green[sog] is many many individual plants packed together to get big main tops. scrog is for a few plants to max tops during the training process to give a sea of green of very few plants and works as a trelis as well to help bud size and weight.
best not to touch them if your first time growing till you know the cycle of your plants. but scroging for new growers is easy and if your carefull will give you a big increese and not slow or stunt the plant much. trim only yellowing leaf that starts to droop. should only see thoose on the very lowers..

Back
Top Bottom