Transplanting seedlings into clay balls

Saxplayer

I'm just setting up to do DWC with clay balls in a bubbler pot system.

I have also recently purchased a clone/seedling tent which I will use to grow seedlings which will be then taken to the main tent. The seedlings will be quite well established before I move them across.

I know it might sound like a silly question, but can anyone tell me please, what medium I need to use to grow the seedlings so that I can then easily transplant them into the clay ball mesh pots?

I’m presuming that you don’t use soil, which is how Ive always done it so far in soil, then re-potting to bigger pots and so on. I just cant think how I should do this!!! Or, should I use the bubbler clay pot system for growing the seedlings too, then just swap the pots over?

Thank you
:cool: 🎷

Hey Sax,

Rapid rooters would be the best imho. Peat pucks have a membrane coating which can impede root growth plus they disintegrate causing peat or coco to get into your res water. Rapid rooters have sponge like consistency and do not disintegrate

Another option would be to germ them in perlite with the idea that roots will entangle with some of the perlite for easy transplant…

but I’d say between the 2 methods most are using rapid rooters

Put enough clay balls into the basket to fill it up really close to the the top. Put a rockwool cube on top and add enough of the balls around the rockwool cube so it will stay in place. Then put the seed into the hole that most rockwool cubes come with. Put the basket in place so that the bubbler keeps it moist.

In two to four days the seed(s) should be starting to sprout. The root systems will grow though the rockwool and into and around the clay balls and the sides of the basket. The rockwool will not fall apart.

Once the root system is well established move the pot to the main tent which is already set up to take that same size of basket. Have the bubbler already going so that the basket and roots can quickly adapt to being in the tent.

No transplanting needed. No worry about breaking roots off. Only worry is dropping a basket while moving it to the main tent.

Could probably do the same sort of thing with a Rapid Rooter style of plug. Instead of using Perlite the plug is held in place by the clay balls. No pieces of Perlite to chase around if and when it falls out of the basket.

if you are going dwc you will essentially be doing all of veg and flower in the same space. have a look at dwc and other active hydro journals to get a sense of the timing.

if you are going dwc you will essentially be doing all of veg and flower in the same space. have a look at dwc and other active hydro journals to get a sense of the timing.
Thanks Bluter, I will. I was thinking that maybe I could veg the plants in the small tent, or at least in part, while I train (mainline) them somewhat, then transfer them to the main tent to finish veg and onto flower.
It's not that I really need to have a massive constant perpetual yield coming in as such, as I only grow for myself.
I guess I'm just taken with the idea of quicker turnaround. I would actually LOVE to be able to offset some of the cost by selling a little on, but I'm too old to start getting into the dangers of being nicked for drug dealing! I'm not in "the scene" of knowing other cannabis users here, apart from one mate who also grows his own (just one plant a season amongst the scrub on his garden).
I guess I'm being spurred on quite a bit from reading all the posts on here, and what is actually possible etc. Also I am a little impatient, and I don't want to wait a full season for just one grow, especially if something goes awry with it!

Interestingly, I know that some people have openly sold weed and edibles here in NZ at the various 420 shows each year. I don't know if they ever get pulled for this, and I certainly don't know how they dare do this (more power to them). My edibles are coming along nicely, and I really would like to sell a few of my treats, but again, too much to lose by getting in trouble with the current laws.

:cool:🎷

Thanks Bluter, I will. I was thinking that maybe I could veg the plants in the small tent, or at least in part, while I train (mainline) them somewhat, then transfer them to the main tent to finish veg and onto flower.

looking forward to seeing how that is going to work in dwc.

Back
Top Bottom