Trimming fan leaves

As far as what you're saying about the plant biology you are correct according to everything I've read. The Fan leaves are your main source of photosynthesis. They are what sucks up the light / energy & disburses it throughout the plant. Obviously the roots play a big role also. But my thinking is "if I have 5 - 10 giant fan leaves up top blocking the light / energy from getting to all the other leaves they are doing more harm then good."
Like I said before ... We all have our own way of doing things. This works for me so far so I'll keep on till I find a better way.

It's the best site I found & I'm a member on 7 or 8 of them. Don't go to the others much anymore unless I'm just reading some posts. The guys here grow much bigger plants with outrages yields so I'll keep following them & do what they do.
Most other sites they average 12 - 14 oz. per plant by their best growers. Here it's more like 20 - 24 oz. per plant. If I follow them & get 16 oz. I'll be in Heaven ... LOL. So far I think I might just do it.
Feel free to take a look at my grow journal. I've got some pretty big plants in there. I'm closing in on the finish line now.

Yeah RL I’d say the same thing- they’re just a little root bound- up-pot and feed.
The older leaves make an incredibly good buffer against minor deficiencies.
Also towards the end of flower I switch to water only and the plant uses those leaves up, drawing the nutrients it needs from them, giving the plant a better natural finish to flowering than anything I could manage mixing up potions for it.

Guaranteed...I 'll up size immediately once the fabric shows up. I'll gently tickle the roots a bit to untangle and add a dose of B-12 to nurture the roots. I have always flushed at end of grow and I'm a long ways away from flowering (I wish I wasn't, but c'est la vie). I think I've flushed for too long in the past and there are other threads on here that discuss flushing time fairly in depth. again, everyone has personal preferences on this...soil vs. soil-less, etc. that's a whole other story. thanks for your guidance...the more I click around, the more reading that I get consumed with. it's great...

The Flushing I think is a personal choice anymore. Most the growers seem to feed nutes up to the day of harvest now. They say there is no difference in taste; only in yield. I've done things both ways & I think the smoke tastes better with the flush.

Back
Top Bottom