Trimming fan leaves

Better to let the plant transition to the flowering stage with as little stress as possible. I wouldn’t remove any growth until 12/12 day 14 at the earliest.

Unless you want to slow the plants stretch down a little.

sage advice, thank you mono. I'll hold off on drastic moves right now. I only want the best for the crop (like all of you). I've been tying them all down from the beginning so am hoping for a better than average yield and certainly don't want to delay any part of the flowering period down. I'm concerned already about flowering time and the cold weather in september/october.
again, I've gone on a tangent within this thread (sorry kushios) but should I keep these ladies in the dark for a couple days to speed up the game?

Everybody has their own methods & there are many ways of doing things. So you just try different things till you find what works best for you. My #1 Goal is to pull 1-lb. per plant so I'm pushing things to their limits this time to see what happens. Hope like hell I don't Hermie one; but taking my chances to see how far I can push these babies. I'm going a step farther this time around & I'm going to use the Stem Splitting technique on one plant the last week of Flower & Using Ice Water to feed another plant the last week of Flower. Haven't tried either yet, but wont know how it works till I try it.
It's suppose to send lots of THC to the Buds & increase their size. We'll see !
Yea theres been great results with the stem splitting. I'm assuming the ice water would represent the winter coming fast. These studies are used to tricking the plant that it's being attacked at the very last stage of flowering if I'm not mistaken??? Something like a deer feeding or a winter approaching etc.

Yea theres been great results with the stem splitting. I'm assuming the ice water would represent the winter coming fast. These studies are used to tricking the plant that it's being attacked at the very last stage of flowering if I'm not mistaken??? Something like a deer feeding or a winter approaching etc.
That sounds about right. Hope it works. It's the 1st time I'm trying it. I just hope they don't grow taller. I've Super cropped 2 plants twice already because they keep growing into the light. No room to tie branches back & lights are at the roof of the tent. If I'd of known they'd get this big I would have only done 2 plants in my 5' x 10' x 7' tent. I could have easily spread each one out to cover a 5' x 5' area.

ice cubes to increase THC? seems like an easy experiment worth trying when the time is appropriate. I know this thread is about pruning but how about the urban legend and black magick story of molasses during finish?
Molasses is great to increase the stickiness in your Buds & helps the overall flavor some. I've only used it during my soil grows. Usually around weeks 8 -10 I used 1 teaspoon per gallon. I'd feed twice a week with that & once or twice a week with my nutes. Molasses has a lot of what the plants like during flower. It's not a myth. If you look up @Emilya she can tell you exactly how it works & what it does. She grows organic so she uses all kinds of stuff like this all the time. Very, Very experienced grower with a ton of knowledge. Her & a couple of others were my tutors a little over 2 years ago. I'd of failed without them. Had problems at 1st but they had the solutions.

I've currently had mine in 18/6 went into a 36 hours darkness period and switched to 12\12. Day 4 of 12/12. I've topped her a total of 3 different sites throughout her growth without any LST. Would it be ok to remove a few upper to mid fan leaves to allow light into the mid bud sites? Since I just flipped a few days ago I don't wanna start chopping without stress too much.
It's actually pretty hard to stress them I found out. You can Punch Them, Kick Them, Bite Them, Break Branches, etc & still a PITA to get one to Hermie. I've tried to do it on purpose to get pollen. I beat the hell out of that plant (Fire OG) & it just would not Hermie. Maybe it was just that plant. Only tried it 1 time. Figured if I want seeds I'll buy STS or Coloidal Silver & spray a branch with it.
For those who don't know .... If you spray a branch with this it will turn that branch Male.

good problem to have!
Figured out a solution to get the branches off the light. Going to put a SCROG Net up high to poke the branches through & keep them off the light. Should help open up the center more also. Best solution I could come up with .... LOL.

About this trimming Fan Leaves .... I just did another Defol on 2 of my plants. This is like the 4th or 5th Defol since 6-1-19.
I probably removed 50 - 75 Leaves off each plant. Yeah they look sad for a day but then it's business as usual. In a week you'll never know I touched them. But I got to keep the Light shining in & the Air Flowing Through in order to keep the VPD correct & not get moisture on my leaves. Don't want Bud Rot.
I found keeping your VPD in check really makes a difference in plant growth. You need to have the right Humidity Level for the temps you're running at or you get moisture on the leaves. I only get moisture once in a great while and it's only when lots of Fan Leaves are laying on top of each other. This is another reason I trim often.
My Tent stays 75 - 79 most the time & hits 81 on rare occasions. RH was at 70% during Veg (I run Two 6-Gallon Humidifiers on high then). During Flower I Put 1 on High & 1 on Low & it takes my RH down to 55% - 65%.

here you go everyone

Strains - sour diesel and master kush
Sativa & indica
2 plants
Vegetive stage
6-7 weeks old
Outdoor
Soil
Ingredients in soil-
  • Canadian sphagnum peat moss
  • Peat humus
  • *Coir / coconut fibre (*Canada only)
  • Perlite
  • Limestone
  • Controlled release fertilizer
  • Mycorrhizae - PTB297 Technology
Size of pot 23.9L
Watering every other day or depending on soil

About this trimming Fan Leaves .... I just did another Defol on 2 of my plants. This is like the 4th or 5th Defol since 6-1-19.
I probably removed 50 - 75 Leaves off each plant. Yeah they look sad for a day but then it's business as usual. In a week you'll never know I touched them. But I got to keep the Light shining in & the Air Flowing Through in order to keep the VPD correct & not get moisture on my leaves. Don't want Bud Rot.
I found keeping your VPD in check really makes a difference in plant growth. You need to have the right Humidity Level for the temps you're running at or you get moisture on the leaves. I only get moisture once in a great while and it's only when lots of Fan Leaves are laying on top of each other. This is another reason I trim often.
My Tent stays 75 - 79 most the time & hits 81 on rare occasions. RH was at 70% during Veg (I run Two 6-Gallon Humidifiers on high then). During Flower I Put 1 on High & 1 on Low & it takes my RH down to 55% - 65%.
pardon my ignorance...VPD?

It's actually pretty hard to stress them I found out. You can Punch Them, Kick Them, Bite Them, Break Branches, etc & still a PITA to get one to Hermie. I've tried to do it on purpose to get pollen. I beat the hell out of that plant (Fire OG) & it just would not Hermie. Maybe it was just that plant. Only tried it 1 time. Figured if I want seeds I'll buy STS or Coloidal Silver & spray a branch with it.
For those who don't know .... If you spray a branch with this it will turn that branch Male.
What's the part that if you smoke the bud with the silver you can turn blue? Like literally blue.

pardon my ignorance...VPD?
Vapor Pressure Deficit

What's the part that if you smoke the bud with the silver you can turn blue? Like literally blue.
No that is definitely a myth and won’t happen.

There’s a condition called argyria caused by long term exposure to silver at extremely high levels. Turns your skin blue-ish. It’s about the only health issue connected to silver that I know of. Very rare though. It would need either something like a lifetime working in a third world factory conditions for it to happen, or- I read of one case where it happened to someone who drank very strong colloidal silver for a long period.

The amount of silver on leaf from spraying with CS is minuscule.

I believe Colloidal Silver is a Nutrient of some kind that people consume. Seems like I read that in the description of it on Ebay. If that's the case, I would think you would have to smoke a whole lot to turn blue. I wouldn't smoke any bud off the branch I sprayed anyways. The rest of the plant .... yes.

Vapor Pressure Deficit

holy dynamite! VPD is taking measuring and monitoring to a whole new level during a grow...intense. Euler's number (e) in an equation for grow room conditions...you guys are hard core! I love this stuff...thanks @Nunyabiz

holy dynamite! VPD is taking measuring and monitoring to a whole new level during a grow...intense. Euler's number (e) in an equation for grow room conditions...you guys are hard core! I love this stuff...thanks @Nunyabiz
I usually stick to the VPD chart until about 1 to 2 weeks into flower, then I start lowering the humidity by 5% every week until harvest, that way the final 2 weeks is low humidity like 30-35% to trigger a few more trichomes.

I'm with you on that Nunya. I do pretty much the same thing. I keep my Temps 77-79 (hits 81 sometimes). I keep my RH 65% - 70% during Veg & around 50% during Flower. I use 2 - 6 gallon Humidifiers & it drops my Temps at least 10 degrees & keeps the air flow moving well. They run on High in Veg & Low in Flower. The Final week I turn them off completely to let things start drying up. I also turn off my Veg switch & only use Bloom the Final week. Have no idea why I do this last part. Maybe I like the Red ... LOL. They're usually done by then anyway & I'm just flushing at that point so doesn't make any difference.
I've been out of weed lately so been hitting the dispensaries. Their Top Shelf stuff isn't shit. Anybody here can grow stuff that good with little effort. I think everything I've grown from day 1 has been better. I've tried about 10 strains of Top Shelf so far & the only one that was pretty good was Purple Chem Dawg. Although I don't like the taste (chemical taste) I will say my girl & I got high twice on 1 joint. Usually I have to smoke a whole one myself just to get a buzz.
So look forward to your harvest because if you go to dispensaries you will see how much better your stuff is.

I'm with you on that Nunya. I do pretty much the same thing. I keep my Temps 77-79 (hits 81 sometimes). I keep my RH 65% - 70% during Veg & around 50% during Flower. I use 2 - 6 gallon Humidifiers & it drops my Temps at least 10 degrees & keeps the air flow moving well. They run on High in Veg & Low in Flower. The Final week I turn them off completely to let things start drying up. I also turn off my Veg switch & only use Bloom the Final week. Have no idea why I do this last part. Maybe I like the Red ... LOL. They're usually done by then anyway & I'm just flushing at that point so doesn't make any difference.
I've been out of weed lately so been hitting the dispensaries. Their Top Shelf stuff isn't shit. Anybody here can grow stuff that good with little effort. I think everything I've grown from day 1 has been better. I've tried about 10 strains of Top Shelf so far & the only one that was pretty good was Purple Chem Dawg. Although I don't like the taste (chemical taste) I will say my girl & I got high twice on 1 joint. Usually I have to smoke a whole one myself just to get a buzz.
So look forward to your harvest because if you go to dispensaries you will see how much better your stuff is.
I've never set foot inside a dispensary.
I live in what very soon will be the only remaining spot of land on the entire North American Continent from the northern most tip of Canada down to the most southern tip of Mexico that will still have cannabis illegal.
While everyone else is more or less legalizing the only thing this backasswards state did was ban the smoking of hemp, LOL.
But frankly I couldn't careless because even if I lived in Oregon I would still be just as illegal there as I am here.
I would still grow a couple plants and have at least a pound of bud on me.
Iam not going to add my name to any list and don't want some psychopath with a gun coming into my house to check what I am growing.
There is no way that dispensary bud will ever come close to what I can grow at home.
And at under $10 an oz to grow it I'd be a total idiot to buy dispensary weed.

Not a single state has gotten it even remotely close to correct yet.
It should be treated like a vegetable, like growing a tomato.
You should be able to walk into a grocery store and buy a couple fresh organic cannabis spears for $10 a pound like you buy any other vegetable.
Cannabis has never killed anybody , ever.

Virtually everything in the average house is more toxic than cannabis, yet they treat it like its nuclear waste.
Cannabis SAVES LIVES, yet look at all the bullshit regulations.
Still just as illegal today as it's ever been.
It's insane.

Back
Top Bottom