Triplet seedling on first time grow

EcoG10

420 Member
This is my first grow, I germinated a seed that was a bit larger than the rest of the seeds I seen. 3 days after planting I noticed not 1 stem but 3 sprouted with two little leaves on each. The stems are super short with leaves almost touching the soil and all 3 are pretty close together. Should I remove the two and leave only 1? How do I do that without damaging the plant? It's been less than a week since planting and 3 days since I noticed something through the soil.

Attachments

• 20200522_141107.jpg
    20200522_141107.jpg
    868.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200522_141056.jpg
    20200522_141056.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 138
Yes, you have to remove two of them. If they are left together like that all three of the plants are competing with each other for water, nutrients from the soil and when they get taller they will block light from each other.

You do not have to pull them out. Just get a small pair of scissors and using the tips you can cut the stem just above the ground. That will kill a plant that is just a seedling. Usually a grower will pick the two smallest ones. They want to keep the best and healthiest plant. If you are used to doing it you can often just cut them off at ground level just by pinching between the fingernails on your thumb and a finger.

I cannot tell from your photos because the red light makes it look like plants growing on Mars but if it was me I would wait until I could see the first set of true leaves. Then I would decide which one seemed to be the healthiest and strongest.

You could also try to separate the seedlings. Without knowing what soil mix is like that is a call that is hard to make by just looking at photographs.

Good luck.

Now that you mention it, it does look like mars . I will cut the two smallest ones. I won't separate them, like I mentioned I'm very much a noobie. Cheers for the advice!

Now that you mention it, it does look like mars .
:);) Photos are best when taken under regular light. Turn off the grow lights and just use the while room light. Sometimes, if the plants are in pots, the growers will take them outside.

Our brains will automatically filter out all or most the red light when we are looking at the plants so we don't notice just how much red is really there.

If the picture is taken in regular or white light then the real colors of the leaves and stem show up. Makes it a lot easier to tell if there is a problem.

That’s pretty cool. I’ve had twins a few times. Never triplets. Is it a regular seed Or fem? I’d grow out all 3 on a reg seed (if it was me) just to see a male/female correlation. Ive always kept twins. In coco, it just means the next size up pot and an extra daily feed. No hassle if automated.

That’s pretty cool. I’ve had twins a few times. Never triplets. Is it a regular seed Or fem? I’d grow out all 3 on a reg seed (if it was me) just to see a male/female correlation. Ive always kept twins. In coco, it just means the next size up pot and an extra daily feed. No hassle if automated.
It's a female auto. I read that triplets are rare, guess it's pretty lucky this turned out to be my first. The soil is regular super soil, not Coco.

I would wait a bit to get excited. Those don't look like marijuana starts. Lots of plants start out looking the same. The round leaves just doesn't look right. Plus stalks should be taller even with there being 3 of them.

Sorry to be the bummer in the crowd.
You think? Sprouted right where I planted the seed 4 days later. You could be right though cause leaves are round. Well I guess il see

I would wait a bit to get excited. Those don't look like marijuana starts. Lots of plants start out looking the same. The round leaves just doesn't look right. Plus stalks should be taller even with there being 3 of them.

Second set of leaves is less round

Attachments

• 20200524_174851.jpg
    20200524_174851.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 134

I was thinking the same, looks like dichondra or something similar.

I am better with what it is not then what it is LOL. My guess is it was just something in the soil. You never mentioned germinating it first. A seed may still come up.

The second picture looks a little more like marijuana but is still not right. I could be wrong.

Whatever it is it's growing pretty fast. I left the seed in a room temp cup of water for 24 hours then wet paper towel zip lock behind the laptop where hot air comes out. The seed popped open so I placed it in. 6 days later in the exact spot this is the result.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200525-155754_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200525-155754_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom