True hermaphrodites?

Grandma Weedstein

So I found female preflowers on several plants with clear pistils. This picture is kinda blurry but it’s the best I could do after multiple attempts. In real life, there is clearly a little white pistil:
FCC1919F-61C0-4373-A664-388C14423DEC.jpeg

However, further down the plant I see this weird nubbin and my blood ran cold:
A76AE761-0FE6-411D-B3E4-1AE7D8B0B0E4.jpeg

Is this a true hermaphrodite? If so, I’m fucked because several other plants with obvious pistils on their preflowers also have these nubbins.

So I found female preflowers on several plants with clear pistils. This picture is kinda blurry but it’s the best I could do after multiple attempts. In real life, there is clearly a little white pistil:
FCC1919F-61C0-4373-A664-388C14423DEC.jpeg

However, further down the plant I see this weird nubbin and my blood ran cold:
A76AE761-0FE6-411D-B3E4-1AE7D8B0B0E4.jpeg

Is this a true hermaphrodite? If so, I’m fucked because several other plants with obvious pistils on their preflowers also have these nubbins.
Unfortunately I would keep an eye on that Grandma, it does look like the start of male parts to me.

Just looks like a male to me. I'm not stating that it isn't, necessarily. I just can't see a female flower in the circle you drew in the first picture. If it's there, it's blocked by the spiracle, stiplue, whatever those ****ing spike things growing from the junction are called. I can't remember the name of the things, it's after 3:00am and I'm not currently on drugs, so... you know... that's two strikes against me, lol.

Can you remove the one that's shown in your circle and then retake the picture, please? Doing so will not harm the plant.

Just looks like a male to me. I'm not stating that it isn't, necessarily. I just can't see a female flower in the circle you drew in the first picture. If it's there, it's blocked by the spiracle, stiplue, whatever those ****ing spike things growing from the junction are called. I can't remember the name of the things, it's after 3:00am and I'm not currently on drugs, so... you know... that's two strikes against me, lol.

Can you remove the one that's shown in your circle and then retake the picture, please? Doing so will not harm the plant.
Believe me, I tried over and over to get a photo of the female preflower but my camera just refuses to focus on it. But looking with my eye, I am absolutely sure it’s a female preflower with a pistil.
Looks male but it’s still early, give it a little time before you act on it.
What should I do if all the new preflowers at the top of the plant are clearly female but that one stays weird? Could it just be a malformation if all the other preflowers are female?

What should I do if all the new preflowers at the top of the plant are clearly female but that one stays weird? Could it just be a malformation if all the other preflowers are female?
Remove the male pre-flower. I have some Girl Scout Cookies that will start to show male bananas at 30 days, give or take 1 or 2, after putting the plants into the flowering cabinet. The plants are loaded with female buds so I just start snipping off any small buds, usually located near the bottom of the plant, that have the bananas showing. It gets rid of a lot of the popcorn buds that people don't like much anyway and it opens up the undercarriage for ventilation, etc.

The plant will start to grow them again in several weeks so I stay ready to do more snipping.

Since someone gave me the seeds, since the plants grow some good sized buds, since the aroma is like chocolate chip cookies and someone gave me the seeds for free how much can I really complain.;)

Ya, it could be a full blown male plant. But, if it is not and it just shows some male parts and lots of female buds eventually then there is no need to have a panic attack or have a heart attack as so many new growers seem to tell us happens to them.
How would it be a full blown male plant if it’s also got female preflowers with pistils visible? Wouldn’t that preclude a full male? Or do you mean the preflower itself is full-on male?

You could pick it off if you have doubts.
I was hoping to use one of these females for breeding purposes as I was impressed with other characteristics but now have my doubts. How much should a weird nubbin like this affect my thinking? I have heard some preflowers can be weird so I don’t want to overreact.

Back
Top Bottom