Trustworthy seeds

Excessive Stress will cause a plant to hermi wheather it's en environmental problem, nutrient, bug/disease, or moisture and like stated above light leaks✌️
Have had issues only recently {past year or so on and off} but prior to that, years of no herms.
I find with seeds {only went with Barneys} it's literally a lottery.
In the past I've had variable temps and no herms- Have grown Gorilla Zkittlez with no issues before, but this time- hermies.

Excessive Stress will cause a plant to hermi wheather it's en environmental problem, nutrient, bug/disease, or moisture and like stated above light leaks✌️
Very excessive if theyre solid genetics. I accidentally screwed one of my timers at 4 weeks, til 8 weeks one light was in for 18 hrs a day. Not until week 8 did I notice revegging. One plant threw a couple nanners, but none went herm. I think the stress thing is from a lack of testing. If theyre tested properly, shouldnt be an issue.

Have had issues only recently {past year or so on and off} but prior to that, years of no herms.
I find with seeds {only went with Barneys} it's literally a lottery.
In the past I've had variable temps and no herms- Have grown Gorilla Zkittlez with no issues before, but this time- hermies.

it's showing up a lot more recently.

two main reasons are an influx of new growers as laws and attitudes change, and weak genetics brought to market by a number of players to meet the demand.

you can definitely stress a plant to hermie, but the predisposition in the marketed genetics is far stronger now than ever.

there are other factors such as folk poorly home breeding and growing hermie seed out strengthening the trait.

For photo-period plants you could think about taking cuttings from the plants as soon as any training or topping happens. Root the cutting and start the clone. If the parent plant is what you want as far as quantity and quality and it does not show being a true hermaphrodite by throwing out male flowers in the 3rd to 4th week you have a winner. You can take more cuttings from the first clone and and then clone from clone for years afterward.

If the mother plant starts to show male flowers in the 3rd or 4th week I often toss any cuttings that can be traced back to it and finish growing out the mother to check on quality, etc.

If the mother shows a few male flowers in week 8, 9, or 10 then that is not much of a problem. I figure those are nothing more than the plant trying to produce some seed to help perpetuate the specie. Those plants I do not feel are a true hermaphrodite and will keep them but make a point on not letting them stay in flower past the milky tricome stage.

For photo-period plants you could think about taking cuttings from the plants as soon as any training or topping happens. Root the cutting and start the clone. If the parent plant is what you want as far as quantity and quality and it does not show being a true hermaphrodite by throwing out male flowers in the 3rd to 4th week you have a winner. You can take more cuttings from the first clone and and then clone from clone for years afterward.

If the mother plant starts to show male flowers in the 3rd or 4th week I often toss any cuttings that can be traced back to it and finish growing out the mother to check on quality, etc.

If the mother shows a few male flowers in week 8, 9, or 10 then that is not much of a problem. I figure those are nothing more than the plant trying to produce some seed to help perpetuate the specie. Those plants I do not feel are a true hermaphrodite and will keep them but make a point on not letting them stay in flower past the milky tricome stage.
Thanks, Yes, this is what I did for years.. I had a mother who was very reliable- from late 1990's!
Two seeds were given to me by a founder of a ''Weed magazine'', and one of those was 'Faithful', an Indica lemony girl who no matter what conditions she had, she never showed an anther.

Some Barney's Gorilla Zkittles were showing true male parts at under 3 weeks- I culled them.

A small seed breeder 'Perfect Tree' is so say good- I have two freebies in veg growing them large enough to take cuttings- One smells beautiful already of 🍒 cherries.

Having been down a 'hermie rabbit hole' online, I'm surprised at the number of people breeding cannabis, including hobby growers.

I hear a lot of good things about 'Ethos'-

It's a bit like dog breeding- Years ago, there were 'Pedigrees' and 'Mongrels' - then 'Designer Dogs' with invented names appeared- essentially crossbreeds {Mongrels!}

Cavapoo, Cavachon, Whippoo, Borador &c every Just 'Mongrels' but with a daft price tag.

With Cannabis, are the 'Pure' original lines being kept?

I have the feeling that others have asked the same question.

Other than "landrace" I kind of doubt that some of these earlier "original lines" are being maintained or that seeds are being kept with new generations of healthy plants every year to maintain a supply of fresh seeds.

The Hermie issue does seem to be a big one -There is a very experienced grower on a forum, and thank goodness I googled the name of a seeds I was considering buying.

{Not cheap} But I'd heard good things about this small breeder {small compared to the huge players}

It was rated 0/10 on grow diaries because of ''Balls'' ''*I'm not ready to be a breeder yet'*' said the reviewer.

He or she obviously has stuff dialled in, so if he or she gets hermies -that shows how unstable the genetics are.

Are there any really 'Stable' {unlikely to herm} out there that people here know of?

{That has probably been asked before, too}

depends who you deal with. there are heirloom strains which are bred from landrace stock that are still close to original 60s/70s/80s hybrid strains.

many breeders don't use the landrace to get there however. in that case the genetic lines aren't really the same and the strain name has simply been borrowed from what the breeder feels is closest.

Are there any really 'Stable' {unlikely to herm} out there that people here know of?

there are plenty, but you have to deal in mostly reg photo plants if you wanna get them. femmed and auto seeds are always less stable simply by genetics. even reg photos will hermie if you work at it, and there are a few wild strains that are predisposed to hermie.

some of the wild strains are considered landrace even though they technically aren't. they are a mix of other landrace that have adapted to a local climate for over a century or greater.

depends who you deal with. there are heirloom strains which are bred from landrace stock that are still close to original 60s/70s/80s hybrid strains.

many breeders don't use the landrace to get there however. in that case the genetic lines aren't really the same and the strain name has simply been borrowed from what the breeder feels is closest.

there are plenty, but you have to deal in mostly reg photo plants if you wanna get them. femmed and auto seeds are always less stable simply by genetics. even reg photos will hermie if you work at it, and there are a few wild strains that are predisposed to hermie.
some of the wild strains are considered landrace even though they technically aren't. they are a mix of other landrace that have adapted to a local climate for over a century or greater.
Ace is very reputable and has landrace strains. @Herbies Seeds and @North Atlantic Seed Co carry them and both are @420 Magazine Sponsors. CL🍀

in most cases they are just the middle man. they usually provide info on the sourcing and breeder, which is good , and what you really have to pay attention too. there are loads of claimed landrace that aren't at all.
Are you saying Ace isn’t using landrace strains? They have a proven track record and lots of satisfied users. CL🍀

@bluter I owe you a apology and I’m man enuff to admit when I’m wrong. Further investigation and reading different sources I have discovered that Ace doesn’t actually have landrace strains. I’m not sure how I feel about this but I think 🤔 I’m going to search for something authentic. Happy growing amigo. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:

Are you saying Ace isn’t using landrace strains? They have a proven track record and lots of satisfied users. CL🍀

it's nothing to be worried about really.

landrace doesn't always mean better. most of the strains we grow are developed for indoor or home growing. they can be much easier to grow than landrace. quite often the breeder will use a landrace strain in a hybrid.

it's nothing to be worried about really.

landrace doesn't always mean better. most of the strains we grow are developed for indoor or home growing. they can be much easier to grow than landrace. quite often the breeder will use a landrace strain in a hybrid.
Ace is actually using landrace and crossing with the best results with others that create 100% Sativa hybrids. Something that you or I would do most likely if making seeds. CL🍀

Ace is actually using landrace and crossing with the best results with others that create 100% Sativa hybrids.

that's essentially what i have been growing. actual landraces are often a bitch to grow.

Please point me in that direction : )
Ugl seeds is pretty cheap. And theyre like 50% off right now. Maybe a little old, as ive had some germ issues, but more than made up for by tons of freebies. I have 3 NL in flower and theyre looking very nice. I have a pic in the creme de la creme section.

Back
Top Bottom