Two Issues on Leaves - Not a Bug or Critter

I can't swear it's not a microscopic bug, but I have had the leaves undeer 90x magnification didn't see anything living.

So, for the sake of this thread, let's assume this damage in not from a bug, but something else.

The spots, like like the beginning of a Ca/Mg issue, but are the holes the end result of that issue, or are the holes some other issue?

I tried to get you as close as I could with my pics. These are leaves from two plants: Critical Purple & Gorilla Glue.

They live in indoors in excellent VPD conditions and they are under lights at the proper DLI.

They are both fed Jack's 3-2-1 at full strength, and supplemented with Cali-Magic in their 5-gallon pots of Coco/Perlite/Vermiculite.

They rest their bottoms in AutoPots, and get air pumped to their roots.

I am guilty of foliar spraying in the light, but close to before lights go out. So, I can't rule out light damage for the holes.

Tell me what you think?

_MG_9932_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9933_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9934_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9935_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9936_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9940_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9942_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9948_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9949_Nik_openWith.jpeg

_MG_9951_Nik_openWith.jpeg

not sure on deficiencies but some of that missing leaf sections looks like mouse at salad bar and the holes tend to make me think of green worm / caterpillar

I’d never seen a two-fer before until dynamic duo made their way in thru my basement doggie door….. not gonna lie I was pretty proud to bag a double

not sure on deficiencies but some of that missing leaf sections looks like mouse at salad bar and the holes tend to make me think of green worm / caterpillar

I’d never seen a two-fer before until dynamic duo made their way in thru my basement doggie door….. not gonna lie I was pretty proud to bag a double
Those were some hungry mice 🐭. CL🍀

Those were some hungry mice 🐭. CL🍀

Hey CL, Yes sir roaring appetites! But I kinda tricked them…. I bait the trap but dont set the trigger mechanism- that way they can dine for free for a day or two.… :laugh:

I’m still a newbie but to me that looks like an insect that’s eating best part of the leaf but avoiding veins

Hey CL, Yes sir roaring appetites! But I kinda tricked them…. I bait the trap but dont set the trigger mechanism- that way they can dine for free for a day or two.… :laugh:

I’m still a newbie but to me that looks like an insect that’s eating best part of the leaf but avoiding veins
I’ve had leaf miners and thrips but I never seen any pest do that kind of damage. Idk? CL🍀

What's your recipe for that?

How much of what percentage of H-peroxide per gallon is an effective killer?

I buffer (coco) every time, might as well start with a clean slate of microbes. :)

I am using a couple of new (to me) products in the reservoir/soil that has kept my fungus gnats at bay and I am also using a preventative bud rot product as well.

Bud Rot: Southern Ag Garden Friendly Bio Fungicide Organic
(Active Ingredient: 98.85% Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain D747)

Fungus Gnats: Ecological Labs Microbe Lift
(Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis Strain BMP 144, solids, spores, and insecticidal toxins)

The above doesn't kill the Gnats if they make it above ground, but their offspring larvae are toast.

The Microbe Lift stuff is potent. I think it says 2 drops to 6 gallons - don't hold me to that.

Even with those, I would still like to start fresh and clean with the peroxide.
This is why I bomb my peat with 2% peroxide before planting. Kills all the bugs before they hatch. It also kills bud rot microbes.

What's your recipe for that?

I start with a gallon of 12% peroxide. Then dilute to 2%. Then drench 1.5 gallons of 2% per 5 gallon pot. Recycle the runoff a few times to get it extra soaked. Then let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then give it a big rinse.

This has been knocking out the bugs and bud rot completely for me. My peat is loaded with flying black bugs. The peroxide kills them before they become a problem.

Of course, the peroxide bomb also kills all the beneficial microbes that may come with your media. They are easy enough to replace. I only add back myco since I use salt nutes.

One gallon of 12% peroxide is enough for one grow with four plants. There will be some leftover for spraying the tent. It costs about $30. It's cheaper if you can buy the 35% peroxide.

Thank you.

I found an H2O2 dilution calculator: H2O2 Dilution Calculator

It says:

Calculator Results.png

I start with a gallon of 12% peroxide. Then dilute to 2%. Then drench 1.5 gallons of 2% per 5 gallon pot. Recycle the runoff a few times to get it extra soaked. Then let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then give it a big rinse.

This has been knocking out the bugs and bud rot completely for me. My peat is loaded with flying black bugs. The peroxide kills them before they become a problem.

Of course, the peroxide bomb also kills all the beneficial microbes that may come with your media. They are easy enough to replace. I only add back myco since I use salt nutes.

One gallon of 12% peroxide is enough for one grow with four plants. There will be some leftover for spraying the tent. It costs about $30. It's cheaper if you can buy the 35% peroxide.

It's technically better to mix it with distilled or RO water. I used average tap water and it worked fine. Tap water degrades the peroxide, but not too quickly for this purpose. Unless the water is high in iron or generally high ppm water.

Back
Top Bottom