UltraDan's First Grow - White Widow - Flux - 2015

Hi UltraDan, I appreciate the welcome in my introduction post. I was wondering if you had your ac problem taken care of? I'm an hvac tech and can possibly walk you through some basics as far as checking for proper operation. Make sure you change your filter every month. Check your outside condensing unit to make sure it's clean. You can check for proper operation from within your house with a simple thermometer: put unit to cool, turn the temp way down (just to make sure it doesn't cycle off), wait about ten minutes, check temperature at your filter, then check temp coming out of nearest duct to the inside unit. The temperature difference should be 15-20 degrees...this is called your delta T.

I'd hate to see your grow compromised!

Hey CobraKai! Thanks for dropping by. It still isn't completely fixed. I'm pretty sure the condenser is low on freedom, as this has happened every year around the time that temps start warming back up. I rent from a guy that lives in Miami (far away from me) so he usually sends someone to fix it. I have emailed him and I am just waiting to hear back. If I don't hear something I will do the tests like you mentioned.

If it's got a refrigerant leak, it'll happen like clockwork until the leak gets bigger...then it'll happen sooner as the leak gets bigger or another small leak develops. You should check your delta T now and after the technician gets finished adding refrigerant. This way you know how your system runs with a full charge and can check it every month or two.

You won't physically notice a loss of cooling capacity until the charge gets low enough for the unit to not operate well enough to reach set temp. But as that delta T drops, you are paying alot more money to run the unit. If it drops from a 15 to a 10 degree split, that unit has to stay on for a much longer time to hit your set temperature. It's nice to be a renter and not have to pay for the service, but if you're paying for your electric you still take a hit. Especially with the added heat load of your grow and cost to run the light. Just keeping it green!

Looking good Dan. This hobby is constant work and money, and a lot of fun. When you first started out I thought you weren't going for stealth at all but by the looks of it by the time you're done here, if these things are ever 'done', it will be nicely sealed up. If you don't mind me asking, how much have you grown before? At first I thought you were just starting out with your first plant, but i'm guessing probably not. You seem pretty on top of things. :)

If it's got a refrigerant leak, it'll happen like clockwork until the leak gets bigger...then it'll happen sooner as the leak gets bigger or another small leak develops. You should check your delta T now and after the technician gets finished adding refrigerant. This way you know how your system runs with a full charge and can check it every month or two.

You won't physically notice a loss of cooling capacity until the charge gets low enough for the unit to not operate well enough to reach set temp. But as that delta T drops, you are paying alot more money to run the unit. If it drops from a 15 to a 10 degree split, that unit has to stay on for a much longer time to hit your set temperature. It's nice to be a renter and not have to pay for the service, but if you're paying for your electric you still take a hit. Especially with the added heat load of your grow and cost to run the light. Just keeping it green!

Solid advise brother! I will do that tonight and hopefully we will get a tech out before the weekend.

Dan you might not want to give out your location, if you can still edit the post. Anyways I'm subbed, looking good man.

I didn't mention in which direction though :laughtwo: I might be 200 miles out in the Atlantic on a yacht. Oh wait... I already screwed that theory up with previous posts. oh well, I edited it though.

Looking good Dan. This hobby is constant work and money, and a lot of fun. When you first started out I thought you weren't going for stealth at all but by the looks of it by the time you're done here, if these things are 'done', it will be nicely sealed up. If you don't mind me asking, how much have you grown before? At first I thought you were just starting out with your first plant, but i'm guessing probably not. You seem pretty on top of things. :)

This is MY first plant. I have dabbled with grows from my friends, but never taken on my own. At first I wasn't really concerned with stealth. But the parents and the in laws have been coming over, so I thought I should reconsider that. Thanks for the compliment brother :thumb:

Nice. I think it's cool that you went for doing the flux first time.

I like tinkering. I would've drove myself mad on my first plant if I wasn't able to go in every night and adjust all the flux ends and trim and stuff. lol.

Dan you might not want to give out your location, if you can still edit the post. Anyways I'm subbed, looking good man.

I think he only gave away his landlord's location:

I rent from a guy that lives in Miami (far away from me) so he usually sends someone to fix it.

Ooops. As soon as I sent it, I saw that I hadn't read enough into the thread. Sorry!

You're not an idiot FlowerGirl. I edited from a mile distance from Miami. lol

Ok CobraKai, I did the delta T test. My thermostat is set at 74* and actual temp is 79* and temp coming out of the vent is 79*, so that's a big problem. lol. I still havent heard back from my landlord and if I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I am gonna call the tech and have him bill my landlord.

Actually, with no temperature split at all I would guess that either the entire outside condensing unit isn't functioning or just the compressor isn't functioning. Usually the indoor coil will completely freeze up with ice if everything is running and refrigerant levels are crazy low. Hopefully it's just a bad fuse, capacitor or outside fan motor and they will have you up and running. But check and see if your outside unit is running at all...will give you an idea. Either way, turn the unit off and only run the inside fan if you want a little air circulation(cool and heat to off/fan to on)...if the compressor is running you're just burning energy and possibly causing compressor damage.

Sounds like it's "probably" a bad run cap with the herm side not working properly but the fan side still running. If it was your equipment I could walk you through a little more diagnosis and maybe save you a couple hundred bucks. But since you're a tenant, let the landlord set it straight. I'm in a hot humid area too...hope he gets to it quickly.

No problem with the help. I have years of hvac experience, but only weeks of growing experience so hopefully I can help people with my knowledge and they can help me on the growing end.

Alright! So AC is fixed (for now) apparantley my landlord knows that there is a leak, but doesn't want to redo the whole system, so he is just paying every year to refill he freeon. Wouldn't be my choice for it, but hey, I don't own the place.

Here are some picture updates. I am thinking about a week more and then letting her go vertical for about 2 weeks and then on to flowering. :D

image21380.jpg
image21381.jpg

Back
Top Bottom