UpInSm0ke's HPA Super Bud Grow Journal 2022

UpInSm0ke

420 Member
Hi All
I am attempting HPA for the first time. It may be somewhat ambitious of me, but from everything I've read, HPA is the Holy Grail of indoor growing. I want to thank everyone who has posted a thread and/or contributed information to this forum. I have absorbed more information about growing than I ever knew was out there, and I have barely scratched the surface. I have many years to go and grow before I become proficient. With all of you helping, that task may one day be attainable.

My first attempt at hydroponics was using the General Hydroponics Rainforest 66 system. I read some good things about it, and as a noob, I got caught up in the hype. So, to any other noobs out there considering the General Hydroponics rainforest 66 system, don't. I thought it would be a perfect balance between aeroponics, as it claims to spray a fine mist, and DWC, as it sits in a 17 gallon reservoir. Truthfully, it's mostly just a DWC that sprays the roots with nutrients. It is a fine spray, but no where near "mist" quality. Also, the 17 gallon res is no where near big enough to accommodate 6 plants. I used it to grow 3 plants, and even at that, it wasn't big enough.

My next attempt was a RWDC. 4x18 gallon reservoirs with another 18 gallon reservoir outside my 4'x4'x7' tent. Fairly easy to do, using the LUCAS Formula with add-back. But, changing out the res every two weeks was a major pain!!! Toting what seemed like endless 5 gallon buckets to first drain the system, then refill the system was not my idea of a good time! I have a 50GPD ro system, so res changes need to be planned a few days in advance.

Now, I want to go HPA. Actually, HPA was my first choice, but I chickened out. As it would have been my first attempt at growing this wonderful mass of greenness, I was looking for something idiot-proof, hence the GH Rainforest 66. Here in Canada, we can legally grow 4 plants for personal enjoyment. Gotta love Canada, eh?
So, I have read countless threads and am ready to try HPA. I'm glad I didn't try HPA as my first grow. I learned sooooo many things with the rainforest and rdwc that I never would have considered. I am humbled by all you successful growers out there. The vast amount of knowledge required for a successful grow was far beyond what I expected or was prepared for.

So, without further ado, let's get to the details of my newest attempt and first HPA attempt.

1xUPS in case of power outage
1x Geekpure pump to evacuate effluence
1x Air pump with air stone to agitate nutrient solution
1xAquatec 8800 pump to pressurize tank
1xWell-x-trol accumulator tank
1x10" inline 5 micron filter placed before pump
4xinterval timers for the solenoids
1x24v transformer for solenoids
40x24v NC solenoids! YES 40 SOLENOIDS!!! (explanation to come...)
40xTefen nozzles
1xBlue Lab pH controller with peristaltic pump
1xBlue Lab Monitor for ppm, temp and pH
1xTitan Controls Spartan Temp/Humidity/CO2 controller
1X 8" inline fan with Phresh Active Charcoal filter
1x Pressure reducer valve set to 100psi
1x Digital pressure switch
1x Titan Controls CO2 Regulator
1x 15,000 BTU window unit air conditioner
1x 15,000 BTU portable air conditioner
1x 12 head mist maker
4xfans for air circulation
several Nearpow timers
Lots of 1/4" tubing and connectors

Ok, so I know what you're thinking,... How many nearpows?!?

But... WHY 40 solenoids?!?!?!

Well, my reasoning is that the dollar store was having a fire sale...

No, really, it's because my biggest fear is a clogged nozzle. I farted around with aeroponics and had a beautiful lady die on me while I was at work due to a clogged nozzle. So, to prevent this, EACH lady will have 4 nozzles.
So, what I did was to surround each site with 4 nozzles to spray for 0.3 sec every 23 seconds. If that sounds confusing, let me explain...
I have 4 cycle timers, each set for 0.3 sec on/92 sec off. So, once the first timer sprays, the second will spray 23 secs later, the third will spray 23 secs after that and the fourth? When will it spray, you ask? Well, I like uniformity, so, 23 secs after the third one.
This way, if a nozzle clogs, the lady will only lose 25% of her spray. I think she can survive that. I will also inspect each nozzle daily to make sure they are all working correctly. That means I will be required to spend a minimum of 10x92s or 920 seconds or 15 mins and 20 seconds in a box filled with lovely bud producing ladies every day! There are worse ways to spend 15 minutes...

So, this past Wednesday, I received my seeds, 10 Super Bud Feminized. I soaked them for 16 hours (as per the the supplies instructions).
Thursday morning, I performed the paper towel/plate manoeuvre.
Friday morning, 9 of 10 had popped. YAY!!! So far, so good. I have always used clones before, so starting from seed in new to me!
Saturday morning, 5 little baby girls had impressive taproots. I placed them into a foam collar and into my mist maker contraption set for 1min/2min on/off cycle with 240w LED full spectrum light at 10% 36" above humidity dome.
This morning, 3 of the 5 baby girls are beginning to get curious about the world outside a foam collar.

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

For those who are wondering, I acquired, through totally legal means, a prescription and a license to grow 25 plants indoors at a time. My setup can only accommodate 10, so there you go...
Thank you Mr. Justin Trudeau!!!

Ok, so now down to the nitty and/or gritty.
I built a 10'x6'x7' "box". The frame is made of 2x4 and insulated all six sides with 1" foam insulation. The interior is lined with 6mil white panda film, all 6 sides.
I am using 10x240w full spec +UVA+FR+IR, 5 are by King Brite and 5 are from Bava Green (I think the Bava Green are much better imho)
I built the reservoirs out of the same 2x4 and 1" insulating foam and wrapped them in the 6mil white panda film. They are "L" shaped, 8'x4', thus allowing me to have 10 plants and a 2' space to enter the "box" from. I was not able (due to the configuration of my room) to put the entrance to the "box" on the end. This would have been much easier, but alas, was not doable, sigh.
So the reservoirs are 18" high x 18" wide and 8' long with an appendage/nub/wart/pimple (whatever you want to call it) 2' long. 130 gallons capacity per unit or a little over 25 gallons per plant for the roots to roam.

IMG_2046 2.JPG

IMG_2049 2.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

tempImageZqp3ng.png

tempImageXP4Spv.png

IMG_2071.JPG

Hi all
I definitely plan on trying the quad lining as @Asesino85 demonstrated. It seems straightforward enough, and who doesn't want a bigger yield?
Just a little update. All 10 little ladies are in the fogger now. I can see the top of 7 of them.

Great start to your journal. So with HPA the roots just stay in a 'fog' or 50 micron water droplets? It sounds really cool, but I would be afraid of something going wrong. It sounds like if the fog goes away, the plants go downhill quickly. Good call on the backup nozzles!

I'm going to stick around and watch. I've never heard of HPA and look forward to watching your grow. Good luck!

I have no idea wut your doin..... But looks neat lol I'm a soil grower nothing less nothing more 😬 but I do enjoy watching the mad scientist rigs with all the controls and what not lol sooooo may I ask what strain your growing I did not see it mentioned in either detailed post?

But count me in for a follow :headbanger:

Thanks @LKABudMan. The “fog” is for the seedling stage. 10-14 days. Once decent roots have been established, I will throw them into the high pressure aeroponics system.
Wish me luck!!!

Thanks @HappyHazmat88. To be honest, I have no clue what I’m doing either, lol. I’m just experimenting with all the information I have acquired from this and other forums. The sheer volume of information on growing is staggering!!! I never even studied this hard when I was in University!

Hey @HappyHazmat88, I'm growing Super Bud feminized. They're supposed to stay relatively short with a decent yield. But then again, my ex-wife vowed to love me forever, but let's not go there...

Thanks

Looking good. I bet you get a lot of stuck seed heads when starting in the sponges, huh?

Well just a little update, all but 1 have broken through. Nutes and calimag have been adds as of yesterday to 300ppm. Light has been increased to 25% and the humidity dome has been opened a smidge. Roots look good, so all in all, good news.
Thanks

CDF214A8-7FF5-444B-9D78-3C5D0FF042E4.jpeg

AF856478-D734-4364-AD23-BF2E24AA2795.jpeg

Just to be safe, I added Hydrogard because these foggers do heat up and I really want to avoid the nasties! 2ml per gallon, as prescribed on the bottle.

I also changed the timing to 1min on, 3 mins off. This fogger produces 5L/hr, so, I don’t want to drown them

Got a few that are starting to develop a root system, but I swear, these seeds must be from the government, the work sooooooo slowly!!!

F7DF0FF6-0A5B-4F09-B9BA-527F49834DA6.jpeg

C33E3905-EB40-4266-BAD5-2B178003D20B.jpeg

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom