Useful Hacks to LED Lights

CoNerd

I'm starting this thread to share ideas about ways to improve the performance, functionality and usability of LED grow lighting. I'll start off the thread with details on how I modified my Mars Hydro 48x3W reflector series light mounts to allow me to raise them to the top of my grow tent.

First, here's a picture showing my problem. I've got a small closet sized grow tent with only 60 inches of height.
The plants (sitting in the dark for this photo) are about at the height of the crease above the light on the right.

On the right is the stock hanger mounts, on the left are my modified mounts. You can see there is 9-17" more usable headroom available when using my mounting scheme.
IMAG033018.jpg

IMAG033323.jpg

At first, I copied what I saw most people doing; connecting two mount points with one cable. This saves about 7 inches of head room.
IMAG033122.jpg

This also allows the light to be tilted by adding a cinch plate or tie. It's much better but still uses lots of headroom.
IMAG033516.jpg
IMAG033621.jpg

After 3 weeks, my plants had grown too tall and I decided to abandon the cables and attach the rope ratchets directly light mounts positioned closer to the lights center of gravity. I opened the case and moved the brass mounts to the side, below the COG and made 2 wire brackets. I used some mild .148inch galvanized steel wire I had on hand. I believe I got it in the fencing supplies of my local lumber store many years ago in a 50' roll. Piano wire (high carbon steel) would also work well, but is much more difficult to cut and bend.

The bent wire brackets are used to support the light and hang directly through the ratchet without using the clips. I positioned the support loop pivot to be just above the enter of gravity of the light.
IMAG029219.jpg

IMAG029419.jpg

I use a combination of hand power, a hammer and vise or a wire bending tool to put the desired bends in the wire.

IMAG028923.jpg
IMAG029122.jpg

Mark the places to put the last bends after bending the support loop because each one is slightly different.
IMAG029520.jpg

Don't forget to dress the ends of wire cuts so there's no sharp edges to draw blood.
IMAG030019.jpg
IMAG029921.jpg

I used my wire bender on the top version and only the vise on the bottom one. It's easier to bend it nicely with the right tool. It doesn't have to be perfect.
IMAG030225.jpg

In order to remove the clip from the ratchet, I had to trim away some plastic with a small knife.
IMAG031422.jpg

After making the modifications, I started thinking about doing this as simply as possible, without having to make any changes to the light. I realized, that a simple hole in the case could be used as the mount point if the wire were bent accordingly. I put together the next light using a coat hanger and the existing vent holes in the sides. The blue flocking is still on the hanger wire and I used some cable ties to prevent the mount from popping out as I assembled the other side and hung the light up.

IMAG034521.jpg
IMAG034320.jpg

In the end, I like the simplicity of the through-the-case-hole mount point, but would want to use the larger diameter wire as it's stiffer and centers itself better in the ratchet. By positioning the mount point at the COG, it's easy to tilt the light and hold it in place. Currently, I'm using the power cord with a velcro strap to fix the lamp's angle.

More and better ideas are :welcome:

Thank you Conerd, I will tell our factory your suggestions and I believe they will change the corrent one ASAP.

Sara,

Thank you. Your company seems to be very responsive to customers, problems, ideas and suggestions. That was one of the principal reasons I chose to purchase the Mars Hydro Reflector lights. They are working out very well for me.

I can also report the MH reflector series lights are pretty rugged. While testing the hanger wire version, I happened to drop my Mars Hydro light from about 1.5 M onto the concrete floor and it survived completely intact. Tell the factory to make sure the light can hang from one bracket securely while the user sets up the ratchet cord for the other side :)

ok, I will forward your message to our factory today and I believe they will solve this problem on the new light. hope to release the new product next month. thank you so much Conerd:circle-of-love:
Sara,

Thank you. Your company seems to be very responsive to customers, problems, ideas and suggestions. That was one of the principal reasons I chose to purchase the Mars Hydro Reflector lights. They are working out very well for me.

I can also report the MH reflector series lights are pretty rugged. While testing the hanger wire version, I happened to drop my Mars Hydro light from about 1.5 M onto the concrete floor and it survived completely intact. Tell the factory to make sure the light can hang from one bracket securely while the user sets up the ratchet cord for the other side :)

Pictures from fan replacement. Simple hack, just unscrew casing screws, cut off zip ties, and remove old fan, solder wires and reassemble.

Did anyone else notice the gap underneath the fans in MH lights? I'm pretty sure the gap is used to decrease fan noise by moving the blades away from the vent holes. However, this gap will allow the air to circulate around the fan body, instead of pulling air through the vent. Leaks around fan housings typically decrease the amount of cooling air that passes through the case and over the heat sinks.

The power supplies don't appear to be using this internal circulation, so I decided to seal the gap with some foil tape while I had the case open for the mount modifications.
A good view of the gap.
IMAG026725.jpg

How to position the tape in tight areas; fold it back on itself and attach one side at a time.
IMAG028215.jpg

The finished result.
IMAG028320.jpg

My Mars Hydro lights run pretty cool; about 4-5 deg F difference between inlet and outlet vents. After modification, the difference was about the same. Thus, this mod is probably not worth the effort on my cool running Mars Hydro 48x3w reflectors. However, if your lights are running hot, this trick might be one way to help improve on cooling.

Back
Top Bottom