VI's - Subcool Based - 2 Worm - Multi-Strain - Mother Hunt - 2016

Here this is a better pic...

GlycerinGreen2.JPG

And here is some popcorn from my trimming yesterday. Still not done with that too.

popcorn4.JPG

you trim the buds or just remove the fan leaves before washing? then you drip dry and hang to dry and then trim the buds after they're dried?

Cut off largish branches as you want the stalk still there. Bigger the better for the dry and faster for the washing but not so big it doesn't fit in the bucket.

Then trim or pull off all the dead or close to dead fan leaves. Anything just flat out garbage and dried up. Leaving most of it is good for the drying process. Go back a few pages and I show what was there after I washed and hung.

So yeah wash per the thread no hot water. Then hang somewhere to let it drip dry like 5-10 min.

Then hang on your drying rack for a few days.

Then before going into the tubs for humidity setting you trim off the stuff you don't want. I don't trim "properly" becasue I aint trying to steal from myself. People trim off the best stuff to make hash or oils or whatever and leave pretty buds with out the very potent sugar leaves. People who don't grow think all leaves are bad and don't realize they just got screwed. I leave the good stuff on there and if I want to cook something down I cook buds. I mean I still get some decent trim and I cook that too but I tend to leave any decent sugar leaf as that is the best stuff. And that pic above proves it. All the calyxes are hidden under those tric covered sugar leaves.

The rest I will explain in a bit I splained it in Closet cases journal if you go check that.

Ugh So messed up. I have a ton of real work for my job to do but I also just got my gallon of glycerin and vials. So I want to go press and refill that. But I also have about 2 hours of trimming to do. And I have a minor issue with the baby plants that will require a lot of journal work and replanting and bla bla and I just can't get to my plants today even though they need help...luckily they are still in veg LOL. :rofl:

Ugh So messed up. I have a ton of real work for my job to do but I also just got my gallon of glycerin and vials. So I want to go press and refill that. But I also have about 2 hours of trimming to do. And I have a minor issue with the baby plants that will require a lot of journal work and replanting and bla bla and I just can't get to my plants today even though they need help...luckily they are still in veg LOL. :rofl:

yeah, i know exactly how you feel...lol...too much alla the time...

my favorite word in any language (but it happens to be spanish) is demasiado. it means "too much," but it's a beautiful word all on its own.

So I have still hours to do in my grow area but I think I figured out my problem. So... Do I post a picture of what I saw and the conditions leading up to it and let you guys guess or do I do a post mortem in a day or so when I have time and tell ya what happened and how I fixed it?

So I have still hours to do in my grow area but I think I figured out my problem. So... Do I post a picture of what I saw and the conditions leading up to it and let you guys guess or do I do a post mortem in a day or so when I have time and tell ya what happened and how I fixed it?

i know! post a picture of what you saw and the conditions leading up to it and then post a post mortem in a day or so when you have time and tell us what happened and how you fixed it! :)
:high-five:

Great tip on the rocks man totally saved me some money with showing that. I was going to walmart in the morning to get some pot lifters now I can go hiking over the hill to the creek instead :) sucks about the 48's maybe next time.

Nooo v dont press it man its just like peach brandy its better to let ist set and age then to rush it. If you press it it will just turn into muddy goo and will be hell to get all the plant matter out of. Iv been mixing for some real close friends that play in a band they all smoke and play in places like the citys where its to hard for them to get away and burn down so I mix it with moonshine and put it in dropper bottles that way we can buy a beer, go to the bathroom and drop some into the bottle ;) that way we are getting drunk and a buzz. Iv used coconut oil aswell but that was for the vegetarian buddy of mine he used it for a salad dressing recipe and that stuff is thick hell it turns rock hard at room temp so id place it in a dark closet close to the middle of the house or my metal shed when its summer.

Thanks for the tip...But Glycerin is not like other stuff. It is supper thick and you can't shake the container and get anywhere. alcohol can easily move in and out of the plant matter but this syrup will not.

it is all just experimentation. I have a pound of this supper resinous stuff from a year ago I haven't been using and waiting for the right things to play with.

Yeah alcohol is way better at drawing all that goodness out and it takes alot less time in doing so. Three weeks is what I let it set for and then bring it down to 100 proof so its not so potent. On the thicker end id say thats why he said to let it set for 6 months. When I done the coconut oil I definitely didnt let it set for no where close to 6 months and it was street grade press weed and it turned out alright.

Alright I wont press this batch and let it sit. But some day I will just to see. I can't imagine it is getting much from the insides. But I still have a bunch to mess with. I will get a smaller container to mess around with.

I am not to concerned about the efficiency. This glycerin is candy. If I can get a decent way to extract working then I will just be beside myself. I don't care how long it takes as I can keep making more. In a few grows I will start growing big plants...way bigger then the one I just posted. Then I will have plenty again.

I am very happy (not having sampled yet) with the results from this recent plant. I will keep clones going from this until I find something better.

Yeah I need to do a few more tests. Hopefully it is just constantly about +18 and I can just mark it and use it. If not I may return it but it was less than 7 bucks. Maybe when I go get some dog food....LOL

Well I put some into a jar for cure yesterday...but not all. I am going to probably do a few more today. I have a new scale on the way as I don't trust my old one anymore. The new one isn't as accurate but can handle a lot more. When the new one arrives I can weigh each jar and do the math. If I can verify my old one is good against the new one, when the jars are done curing I will weigh the results at the end.

I am not waiting on the scale to cure them late.

I think Honestly the camera adds 10 pounds. I mean it is a big plant but I did some major things wrong. I stunted it and even hermied it at one point but I pulled it through. I plucked nanners and was able to get it to the finish with only 3 seeds partial seeds (none fully developed). It was starting to fill in and get dense and I yanked it to get my next grow going. I suspect I could have gotten at least 1/3 more and probably closer to double what i have if I had done it right.

I had all new equipment and other problems that all stacked up against me. But after I get this new setup figured out I will be good again. In the case of this girl I let the light get too close and that is what caused the hermies and stunted her. I actually didn't put the light to close...she grew into the hot zone. This type of light is new to me and it is very hot. Much more hotter than any SE I have used and the hood is very focused. All of that is good as long as you back it off and vent the tent.

So I backed off the light and plucked nanners for weeks and she came back and was really starting to fill in upside down when I yanked her.

I suspect I will get 10 or so Mason jars. But I put lots of stalks in there to help with the cure.

So she looks a lot heavier then she is but possibly 10 ounces when it is all said and done. This time I should be able to make the clones fill in right and get some dense nugs that will weigh better.

I used to grow a lot back in the day. This one here was my second grow in recent years. First soil grow in over 10 years. All of the equipment was new or only used partially through half of my hydro grow I did right before this. So I am learning a lot about this setup and how to control the environment still. I think in about 3 more grows or so I will have the environment nailed (although summer will be difficult). And then I will be moving and have to start all over again. :)

So yeah I remember how to grow but doesn't mean I have the time to really monitor and do it right. I have a real job and a life. My commute is over an hour and we have this odd schedule with 9 hour days and every other Friday off so that is 12 hour days before I get home and then need to spend time with the family and then get on here and help...oh yeah and then check on my plants. And at some point my doctor tells me I am supposed to work out.

So the plants are the last priority...especially during veg where just about anything can be corrected.

I never said I was a great grower...I only said I am an idiot. But I can help people with problems becasue I used to grow a lot.

Just reading through some of that stuff at that link you posted for me navigator. This is very interesting...

Potency and gleaning:
As previously noted, to reach maximum saturation, requires processing more than one batch of fresh material through the glycerin, because as the saturation level increases, the glycerin becomes less aggressive as a solvent and the remaining partially dissolved cannabis is also no longer at full strength and as reactive.

In point of fact, the fresh pressed material from the above first cycle will still contain significant cannabinoids, which takes two to three cycles to get it all.

What we do is put the fresh pressed plant material back in the jar and refill with fresh glycerin and add fresh material to the freshly pressed glycerin for another cycle, if I desire more strength.

The fresh glycerin will do the best job of scavenging the remaining cannabinoids, and then can be used again with fresh material to further build up its potency. It is by this cascading technique, that we can leave little behind and yet still maintain quality and potency.

I should note that the most potent glycerin tincture is not necessarily the most tasty, and one cycle produces effective meds, so most of the time we do not bother to bump up the potency with cold tincture.

@ Stihl Logger

So I have been clean since August. I think in 2 weeks time I will be golden and can medicate again. I may just pull one of these cure jars early to celebrate. At that time I shall know how well this one turned out ;)

:rofl:

So where was I... Oh yeah Navi asked about the way to dry and cure...

So after Wash and Dry there is multiple steps to cure prep. First off you dry until it is fluffy but not dry. It you let it get too dry it wont cure. Having those hygrometers around helps a ton and are vital to a good cure IMO (unless you know everything and have the time to sit and watch paint dry).

First lets jump forward a bit... You want to cure with the humidity in the jar between 55 - 65 RH. outside of that range the anaerobic bacteria in there doing the cure dies or wont work. The point of the cure is 2 things. 1) this bacteria eats up all the excess chlorophyll and sugars. That leaves behind flowers that have purely the aroma and flavors of the strain and not generic hay smell. Also it makes smoking mild and smooth not harsh as the sugars and chlorophyll are very hard to smoke. 2) you get even wetness so an even burn. THC burns. Putting a flame to it destroys it. Only the stuff vaped off before the flame gets to it is what gets you high. So if it is not evenly dry and you have wet spots in there it doesn't burn fast and you waste a ton. That is why the potency goes up. Ever try and smoke fresh stuff and it doesn't work too well but when dries it does...that is why.

SO

Once it is mostly dry but still above 65 RH (which is hard to know hanging in an open area) you want to place it in storage containers like I will show below. If you are using a drying box you can put some hygrometers in there to know when. As you saw I dried them in my tent which I tried to keep at 60 RH so that it couldn't get to dry. After 4-5 days in there they felt ready. So I trimmed them and placed them just a light thin layer at the bottom of the containers. Then you open the container for like an hour or so every so often to vent it then close it again and watch the humidity go back up.

dry_box5.JPG

You dry them out in a cool dark place and when the RH in the box is stable at 65% for 12 hours it is ready to be jar'd.

Done correctly you don't need any cheater packs but many people buy and use these gel packs that absorb or release water to maintain a specific humidity. I recommend those until you have this figured out which takes a few tries. Sometimes using them in the boxes is a good way to not over dry if you have them drying in a dry area.

Then you need to sit back and let the bacteria do its thing. It is anaerobic so every time you open the lid to smell it kills them and the process starts over again. So that is where those humidity packs can really help a newb. If you pack them with the cheater packs then you can leave it sealed tight and get the cure done faster without worrying about it.

Another way is to just drop those Hygrometers in the jars and watch them and that help to reduce your anxiety.

CCCure.JPG

A cure takes not less than 2 weeks and typically 2 months is the min golden rule. Many people go longer, much longer. Reputable growers and dispensaries don't sell stuff cured less than 2 months. I think 6 months is considered ideal...but I don't know. There are so many factors involved including storage temps. I just open them back up as i need them. I wont need this stuff until it is cured but I might open the lightest jar early to test.

Savvy?

Back
Top Bottom