VI's - Subcool Based - 2 Worm - Multi-Strain - Mother Hunt - 2016

I admire the work you do VI. Bout time ya got your own journal goin on my friend! I see the help you offer helping others man. Truely remarkable you are. It is much appreciated im sure. Your grow looks great! Keep on keepin on bud. :high-five:

I think I'm going to be running in to some heat issues soon and was curious about useing dry Ice to cool and raise co2 anybody have any in put on this good and bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using 420

I think I'm going to be running in to some heat issues soon and was curious about useing dry Ice to cool and raise co2 anybody have any in put on this good and bad?

That sounds super expensive... not a bad idea, but wow. I can just imagine the funny looks I would get on my 27th trip to the grocery store and emptying out their dry ice cooler yet again, too. Be careful.

Yea I have a freezer for dry Ice and can hold quite a bit and by my calculation it will consume about .8 of a lb to last 6 hous and I really only need it during the heat of the day.I'm growing in an attic so ventilation is easy but all the heat that rises from the house gets traped up there and the sun beating down on the roof top doesn't help either

Yea I have a freezer for dry Ice and can hold quite a bit and by my calculation it will consume about .8 of a lb to last 6 hous and I really only need it during the heat of the day.I'm growing in an attic so ventilation is easy but all the heat that rises from the house gets traped up there and the sun beating down on the roof top doesn't help either

yeah, attic grows are tough. I am curious how you get water up there? Do you have a good attic fan?

Well i live in the middle of nowhere new Mexico and the well water sux lots of fungas and sulfer depending on how deep the well so I buy distilled water in 2-5 gallon jugs and just haul it up a gallon at a time

I do have a 600cfm exhaust fan and a couple of 2 foot box fans but haven't really needed to use them temp stays around 60-65 at night with a small space heater and about 70-80 useing the exhaust fan

Well i live in the middle of nowhere new Mexico and the well water sux lots of fungas and sulfer depending on how deep the well so I buy distilled water in 2-5 gallon jugs and just haul it up a gallon at a time
my god, so this doubles as the Css1982 exercise program too!

I do have a 600cfm exhaust fan and a couple of 2 foot box fans but haven't really needed to use them temp stays around 60-65 at night with a small space heater and about 70-80 useing the exhaust fan

Sounds good then... I am envisioning an attic in the summertime with temps near 120 all the time. We had a house one time with an attic fan the size of my bed. Every window in the house became a fan with that sucker on drawing negative pressure up through the attic. A grow would have worked in that attic. I loved that attic fan actually... I need to look into that.

ok, please excuse the interruption VI, back to the show!

Well My 2 cents on that is you don't want CO2 at night anyway as it can stunt the growth. The plant uses O2 at night and does kind of a reverse process to make sugars a different way and helps it get a boost in the morning. That is really the only good reason not to run 24 ON from a general growth perspective. But all studies I have seen show 24 on done right is superior. I tend to use both. Like in summer I definitely try to bloom through August and September and if not I go 18 on and shut her down in the afternoon.

I have heard of people using dry ice for the CO2 but not for cooling.

CO2 is heavy and will fall down. So for best result s place it above the plants so the CO2 when it evaporates falls down to the plants. That is unless you have some good venting going on and then you need to work it with the venting...and that is the real problem with CO2.

To do it correctly you need to get the PPM real high. I can't remember I think above 900 PPM but basically almost dangerous to us. and you want the temps and humidity high too. So the right way to do it is in a sealed room with well insulated ducting on Air cooled hoods so you can keep the room sealed. then you have a "lung" or recirc room or ducting. you place a fan and run long hose all around or into a cooling space to cool the air and bring it back in. like the freon lines for the fridge. so you run this big hose all over that is not insulated and being cooled and then back into the room. then you can try to keep the air temps right by recirculating the coair but keeping it a sealed chamber. I don't know if that is easy to understand but there it is.

CO2 is difficult to do right. It requires a lot of extra expense. It does not get a lot more yield. If you are growing 4 plants you are way better off to just grow 5 then trying CO2. If you are growing 50 plants then CO2 can make a huge difference and is worth it.

You are like the second person this week to talk to me about using CO2 to solve a heat problem. I say add more vents. your idea is slightly better then just adding CO2 but still the problem is the ambient temps.

I would recommend getting some plywood and building a closed space in the attic. Then have an inlet vent from inside the house where it is likely cooler or running it to the edge of the roof for an inlet vent and then dumping the hot air elsewhere through a good hose out another vent. Growing in the attic is a Macgyver game, you are gonna have to get a bit fancy.

:goodluck:

Tru I agree with useing co2 during the day time hours my vent situation is kind of tricky I have a exhaust fan that goes out my roof but it pulls air in from outside and so my room only varies a few degrees from the temp out side and so living in this crappy desert it get hot in the afternoon but cold at night so I gatta be vary picky about when I turn my fan on to cool the space at the right time I figured if dry Ice would lower my temp in my grow space by 5 degrees it would be perfect for our average hot day

I don't know just a thought cuz this is a one time thing in this house I don't wanna do too much construction

Yea idk need to do more thinking on how I can pull cool air in during the afternoon hours it is probably ganna take some doing but luckily it will stay around 70-80 until June so I should be ok

So...

After the first 5 seeds came up right on time I waited a few days and the soil was getting rather dry (as I only did a light watering to begin with, just enough). So for the 3 that didn't have any sprouts I decided to give a good dose of water and I am certain I did too much. Anyway I found that one of the 3 sprouted yesterday and I posted that. So today I finally went rooting around in the last 2 because why not, what do I have to loose. One I can not find so I am letting the soil dry out a bit on a plate. The other one I found it had come out of the husk but came out wrong. Below is a pic. I found it buried at proper depth but the leaves had flattened out and the tap root had gotten no where. Kind of like the husk broke open backwards and the tap root could not get out. So I just tried to reset it sort of near the surface but covered a bit and hopefully this one pulls through.

Ak4834.JPG

But hey such is life in the big city.

ah heck I know stuff....doesn't mean I follow the rules. Thanks though and Welcome to the party noob.

I have never made a journal because I aint the best grower and I feel there are plenty of great growers on here that should be followed instead of me. I am a loose cannon and do thing newbs should not do. So trying to mimic me may be a plan for disaster. I know how to fix problems I create and can get plants over the finish line no matter what I do wrong so I can play around a bit. I have a decent amount of experience so it comes second nature to me when to worry and when not to worry. I have seen most things in the past and I don't freak over a little tip burn as I run hot soil. I know what it will turn out like if I just leave it alone.

But I get it all the time people asking me to make a journal so here ya go. It is not going to be a standard SCROG grow. It is a new method I have never tried. I have night crawlers in my pots. I am going to try and avoid using any standard fertilizers other than the organic materials I put in my tea. So yeah read along if you like but don't try this at home.

Emy does something similar and I would trust her to be able to do this but I think a lot of people would crash this plane into the mountain. I may still. I am not 100% certain my compost was ready that I put the clones in. That said it is still aging fine and should not be a problem but who knows. I have not done such a "precises" blend with bought stuff before. I mean some of it I have used but not all of that stuff.

We shall see I guess.

I only have one soil cfl micro grow in 35gal rubbermaid tub that yielded a little over 1oz off 3 plants and a current 2 plant 250hps DWC in my bag so I wouldn't dream to replicate so soon what you big guys are doing but I love to read and see what I could eventually reach in the future!

And the tips/advice on other grows are awesome as well, a couple days ago I saw your post on Far East Buds journal about N toxicity and I was having the same problem! Thanks to it I lowered the nutes and my tiny plants are already looking better, healthy new grow and no more claws in the older leaves, still very dark green though :cheesygrinsmiley:

Haven't checked Emy's journal yet but will do so later :thanks:

Well this is a new method for me so if I fail and go off the rails there will be some good stuff for you as I document the recovery. But if it just works as I hope then there wont be much here. We shall see. I tend to make all sorts of mistakes so maybe this will be good for yall. In fact what am I saying. I am guaranteed to make a few big disastrous mistakes. So yeah maybe this will be of some value.

Back
Top Bottom