Volksball's First Grow: White Widow Feminized Grow Journal 2018

It's all about how much control you have over the vertical... a 2" screen can keep it to 4" or so... but a 6" screen is going to give you a foot. maybe that is ok for LED and less work to maintain. I know not being wire will be more work at harvest... I basically had to cut my plants off of the twine and ruin the screen... metal I reused over and over
Ah I see, well, I suppose this is the one, then. I do need to control the vertical growth, so the cells will have to be smaller.

As for the screen, I can make two from the pack, so if I have to trash one in the end, so be it. A bit of a waste, but for the size/price, it'll have to do.

So long as the material/size doesn't hurt the plants now or at harvest, this one will have to do.

Make sense?

I have never done a scrog The netting you showed unless I'm reading it wrong the squares are 2.5 cm by 2.5 cm so only one inch wide square I'm not sure that would be big enough. The ones I have seen in my local grow shop I have squares that are probably 4 in I would personally go with something bigger. But I'm just guessing I have never done a scrog.
In the amazon questions there are answers and pics. Both read/show 2" squares. I'll grab it and hopefully it's what works.

Good morning, growers,

My scrog net shows up today and I was hoping to install it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what stays under the netting and what is allowed to come through. @Emilya explains that I should lower the net to 10", or as close to that as possible, then tuck branches under the netting.

Do I want nothing to poke through? Or as little as possible?

I've attached a picture I found of someone's scrog, around the same growth stage as my plants. While this grower has more plants, the idea seems clear. Tuck everything under, but let bud sites come through.

Do I do that? Or will it happen naturally? Or do I tuck bud sites under and sideways so that they will naturally turn up to the light so long as they are in one of the 2x2 openings?

Thx.

Day 60.

Attachments

• 053113-FLOWER-DAY-05-MORNING-01.jpg
    053113-FLOWER-DAY-05-MORNING-01.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 28
I weave my tops in the netting steering the tops towards empty squares in the net. Once the net is 3/4 full I let them go vertical for awhile before i flip.
Ok. Starting to make more sense. Thanks.

When you say 'weave', do you actually tie them to the netting? Or do you just mean tuck under, while steering towards empty squares?

Tucking over and under in the direction you want the top to go.
Gotcha. I just thought they were to be all under the netting. I like the weaving technique.

Thanks again for the advice. I hope to have the net installed this evening. I'll post a few pics in the hope that I have it right.

Would a good goal to be to have it look like the pic I posted of the scrog?

I just weave until 3/4 of the squares are filled let it go vertical for a week or so then flip.
Oh ok! Well then by that advice, I might have more than a week to go in veg? I'm trying not to to reach the point of diminishing returns.

Would it be crazy to think that I could add a scrog net today at 60 days, and not flip for a couple more weeks? It may take a week to fill 3/4 of the squares and another week of vertical growth. Too much veg?

The scrog is on!

I found 2"x2" snow fencing and extended it to fit with zip ties. This stuff is tough. Oh, sent back the other stuff to amazon. Kinda junky.

I tried my best to come down slowly to 10". There were some taller branches, but the plants were, for a part, still not at scrog height.

You'll notice that I've tucked many of the branches and tips outward as I've seen done before. Do I just keep doing that out wide everytime one pokes its head through? Seems cruel. Ha. It hurt a bit to manhandle the plants that I've been so delicate with, but necessary. Do that for a week as @Pennywise mentioned, then let the tips come through their own cell, to grow out another week.

I have 4 fans running now as you'll see. Two clip fans above and one large and one small occilatong fan blowing under the canopy. Will see canopy temps soon. The light sits at 29" from the net.

I really dont know what I'm doing here, so if you're alarmed at what you see, please say so. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20190124_195911.jpg
    20190124_195911.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190124_194744.jpg
    20190124_194744.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190124_194749.jpg
    20190124_194749.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190124_195958.jpg
    20190124_195958.jpg
    864.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190124_194623.jpg
    20190124_194623.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190124_194628.jpg
    20190124_194628.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190124_194648.jpg
    20190124_194648.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 28
looks great!
Thanks! So, then the contorting that some of these stems are doing is ok? No snaps, just some deep knee bends. Ha. Keep them tucked under as they find squares to poke through?

yep... you got it figured out how you are going to water when you can no longer see the containers?
You know? I thought of that. A smarter man would've thought of the solution first, but I thought I might work my way to it.

I have a pump and hose for gallon bottles. The hose will snake in. My worry is evenly watering a big pot.

What do people normally do?

You know? I thought of that. A smarter man would've thought of the solution first, but I thought I might work my way to it.

I have a pump and hose for gallon bottles. The hose will snake in. My worry is evenly watering a big pot.

What do people normally do?
pretty much what you are doing. I ended up having to sit in there on the floor to be able to get to the back corners. Next time I am thinking running a pvc pipe from just under the mulch up to a couple of inches above the screen. Then, as long as I can see the overflow tray, it should be easy.

pretty much what you are doing. I ended up having to sit in there on the floor to be able to get to the back corners. Next time I am thinking running a pvc pipe from just under the mulch up to a couple of inches above the screen. Then, as long as I can see the overflow tray, it should be easy.
I find myself sitting alot in the tent. Ha. There's something about getting eye level with them.

I like the pipe idea. I'm thinking there must be a manual pump type irrigation system where you can distribute a network of PVC into pots and sit back and pump.

I find myself sitting alot in the tent. Ha. There's something about getting eye level with them.

I like the pipe idea. I'm thinking there must be a manual pump type irrigation system where you can distribute a network of PVC into pots and sit back and pump.
never could figure out without spending some real money on it, how to make sure that each got the same amount... nothing like the hand method to do that

Back
Top Bottom