Watering With The BLT Method

Hey Squiggle, it shouldn't take 15 minutes to soak into your pot. You say its soil it must be very compact. Do you have perlite in it?
Howdy doo bill. It's 30/40 % perlite. If it should take that long to soak in, I have been being impatient. They need another watering today, so I will see if I can get them to a run off and I will time how long it takes. I've always been a worrier about over watering. They seem pretty healthy so should I just keep doing what Im doing?. Thanks for jumping in to help
IMG_20210204_141454.jpg

Howdy doo bill. It's 30/40 % perlite. If it should take that long to soak in, I have been being impatient. They need another watering today, so I will see if I can get them to a run off and I will time how long it takes. I've always been a worrier about over watering. They seem pretty healthy so should I just keep doing what Im doing?. Thanks for jumping in to help
IMG_20210204_141454.jpg
Girls look great so your doing something right. It only takes about 40 seconds to soak into my pots. Its coco but still shouldn't take you that long. Something isn't right there.

Girls look great so your doing something right. It only takes about 40 seconds to soak into my pots. Its coco but still shouldn't take you that long. Something isn't right there.
Thanks :thumb: It does seem pretty hard packed . I was thinking about changing the medium. But they seem pretty happy, I haven't had any issues up to now with them. So is it best just to leave them and continue what I am doing?
As the old saying goes. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Plus they are 2 weeks into flower now. I've just noticed i had posted an old picture. Sorry. I didn't want to stress them out by repotting them. Or is it ok todo so?
Screenshot_20210207-165039.jpeg

It's still the wrong picture. God knows what's going on
I wouldn't uppot 2 weeks into flower either. Its just going to be harder to water with that method. All you can do now is try to water her properly from her on in happy growing friend.

I wouldn't uppot 2 weeks into flower either. Its just going to be harder to water with that method. All you can do now is try to water her properly from her on in happy growing friend.
Thanks. I will give it a go! And you too:peace:

I love the BLT analogy. For the first few minutes I was convinced I had to feed my pants a sandwich. It's a really funny post :thumb:
Just a quick question, I'm a soil grower. In 3ltr pots. When I try and give the plants more than 500ml of water, the water just sits on the surface and doesn't seem to soak into the soil very quick. The top of the soil becomes a slurry of perlite and mud and it takes over 15 minute just for that to soak in. Should I just keep letting the top of the pot flood, untill I see run off? . As if that's the case. My plants haven't had this watering cycle you have kindly posted and could it be detrimental to the plants health as I've never had run off.

Great post by the way
Ok so, first thing that comes to mind when you say it takes so long for the water to drain. Pot needs to be transplanted, and the medium is too compact, like bill had mentioned.

when the medium is really dry up top, i usually water slowly at first to let the medium get some moisture in it. Once the top layer is saturated, I hit them hard with water. Let it drain, and repeat. Sometimes it does take a while for it to soak in, just give it time, go to another plant and start the process with the other plant, then go back to the first plant.

you’re plants seem to be fine. Like you said, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it...

Just remember the BLT for future feedings and adjust accordingly.

30/40 % perlite.
When mixed with a soil medium, it should be 50/50

when in a coco mid it should be 70/30

coco has such great drainage compounds that some say coco doesn’t need perlite added. I know a guy, that grows in 100% coco with a layer of washed gravel on the bottom to minimize roots sitting in water. He swears by it. I always mixed perlite in wi the my coco though.

but I don’t grow in coco anymore.

Ok so, first thing that comes to mind when you say it takes so long for the water to drain. Pot needs to be transplanted, and the medium is too compact, like bill had mentioned.

when the medium is really dry up top, i usually water slowly at first to let the medium get some moisture in it. Once the top layer is saturated, I hit them hard with water. Let it drain, and repeat. Sometimes it does take a while for it to soak in, just give it time, go to another plant and start the process with the other plant, then go back to the first plant.

you’re plants seem to be fine. Like you said, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it...

Just remember the BLT for future feedings and adjust accordingly.
Thanks for that, it all makes sense now. I've used a young seedling compost from day one . Even through three transplants. It's very fine, more sand like.
So it's compacted over time. I will definitely remember the BLT way. How could you forget that wacky but wonderful method :)

When mixed with a soil medium, it should be 50/50

when in a coco mid it should be 70/30

coco has such great drainage compounds that some say coco doesn’t need perlite added. I know a guy, that grows in 100% coco with a layer of washed gravel on the bottom to minimize roots sitting in water. He swears by it. I always mixed perlite in wi the my coco though.

but I don’t grow in coco anymore.
Ahhh! There's the other problem . Im using 30%. Thanks again. That's the most awesome thing about this site. Apart from its wonderful members, there is so much information at hand. From basic to advanced. Learning every day.
Thanks again

i need a mentor to teach me whay i cant teah myself without proper guidance. i want to find different ways to better this empire but i cant go any farther thani have by myself any more i need a mentor can someone take me on?
I'm still learning my self mate. Just float about and follow a few people . It will all click into place eventually.. the more you interact the more you learn.

Good luck.
You can Always give me a shout if your stuck and I will figure something out

I'm still learning my self mate. Just float about and follow a few people . It will all click into place eventually.. the more you interact the more you learn.

Good luck.
You can Always give me a shout if your stuck and I will figure something out
well im trying to start my own little personal farm of 2-6 plants with a miniscule amount of money. any ideas?

well im trying to start my own little personal farm of 2-6 plants with a miniscule amount of money. any ideas?
Here is what you do. Grow the girls you have as mothers. Then clone the living daylights out of them. Then set up 2 flower rooms and alternate them and have a harvest every 4 weeks approximately. Have a look at some grow journals pick a method you like and follow the instructions.
I have a simple cloning method in my thread its really simple. Every new grower can do it. Coco is a great simple medium to use.

Here is what you do. Grow the girls you have as mothers. Then clone the living daylights out of them. Then set up 2 flower rooms and alternate them and have a harvest every 4 weeks approximately. Have a look at some grow journals pick a method you like and follow the instructions.
I have a simple cloning method in my thread its really simple. Every new grower can do it. Coco is a great simple medium to use.
okay cool what does the coco do to the plant?

IMG_20210204_141454.jpg
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect!!!!!!

Coco is an inert medium to grow in. Its basically hydro. So you have complete control over your girls and what they and how they grow. You can just follow along any decent journal and replicate their nutrient dosages till you get the hang of it. That's exactly what I did. Now I max out two rooms every month. And have a veg room that's brimming. It takes a while to get to that point but if you want a farm that's a simple way to get there my friend.

Coco is a different type of grow medium as apposed to soil. It doesn t contain many if any nutrients like soil or compost. So you have full control over what you feed it. It has its advantages and disadvantages. For your first "farm" I would suggest growing in a pre amended compost. Them all you have to do is water them.

Coco is an inert medium to grow in. Its basically hydro. So you have complete control over your girls and what they and how they grow. You can just follow along any decent journal and replicate their nutrient dosages till you get the hang of it. That's exactly what I did. Now I max out two rooms every month. And have a veg room that's brimming. It takes a while to get to that point but if you want a farm that's a simple way to get there my friend.
Think we posted at the same time :)

Back
Top Bottom