Weak ass AK48 bud- again? why?

Reposting from the growers lounge:

I'm on my 2nd grow, and 2nd grow of this strain.

This grow has been without incident. RDWC, temps great, never a nute burn or problem. No ph issues. 600w GS Pro-Bloom LED, supplemented with 80w cfl in 3 of 4 corners of tent.

I used BPN 2 part with Advanced Nutrients B52 and Humboldt Ginormous during bloom phase, along with hygrozyme and cal mag for my ro water.

I dont smoke myself, and this is for treatment of my mother and her ailments.

So I clipped a lower bud yesterday and asked a friend to qwik dry and try for me and let me know. He's used to high quality. He knew it's not ready and didnt expect it to be up there, but did expect something. He basically told me he couldnt hardly feel a thing off it.

The idea was to let me know so I could compare to trich colors and project chop.

So why the hell is it so damn weak?

The following are pic of a snipet of the same bud I gave him.
PTDC00017.JPG
PTDC00023.JPG
PTDC00033.JPG
PTDC00041.JPG
PTDC00052.JPG

Maybe the genetics in the plant is the problem. Where did you get the seeds from?

How did he quick dry it? If the tempature is too high the THC will be consumed. But that should'nt happen 'til atleast 190° Celsius so it shouldn't be a problem but if he quick dried it in some weird manor it might been comsumed there.

Or just maybe the plant hasn't matured enough yet?!

I'm no expert but you got something to look into now anyways..

Maybe the genetics in the plant is the problem. Where did you get the seeds from?

How did he quick dry it? If the tempature is too high the THC will be consumed. But that should'nt happen 'til atleast 190° Celsius so it shouldn't be a problem but if he quick dried it in some weird manor it might been comsumed there.

Or just maybe the plant hasn't matured enough yet?!

I'm no expert but you got something to look into now anyways..

needs more time

Nirvana seeds.

his dry method was to break down the bud, zap it in the microwave for 15 secs, twice, with about a 2 minute interval.

1 random thought I had was breaking it down while green means he probably knocked off a substantial amount of trichs? That which would have been more dry and been in the "shake" he rolled had he chopped up after dry. But I don't know that it's enough to make a difference.

A close look at the trichs above indicates a guesstimate of 50% cloudy/clear? My guess anyways. I'm hoping that's the real issue and may give him another try with an upper bud in the next couple days that's more cloudy.

But it still has me worried it's weak as hell.

There should be some percent amber trichomes as well so, in my opinion, the plant isn't matured enough yet.

And if it's still weak after a few weeks you can try to make some hash or some strong cannabutter and see if it's hits in the right spot.

The plant is slightly premature but... um, who is you friend and where did he get the idea that you, "quick cure" Cannabis by tossing it in the microwave for 15 seconds! Oh wait, twice! So in my expert opinion the problem is... your friend. Flush your plants with pure water or some sort of commercial flushing agent for 5 to 10 days. Then harvest, cut your plants into manageable stems, trim your bud, then hang these stems with the bud still attached on coat hangers. Hang for about 3-7 days or until the stems break instead of bending. Then trim the individual buds off of the stems and into tupperware containers with lids or paper bags. Let sit for another day. Then place buds into glass mason jars. Let the buds sit in these mason jars for at least a couple weeks, opening up the tops of the jars to burp the weed for the first couple days and then leaving jars sealed for a couple weeks. This is the curing process and is essential for THC to properly manifest itself in the smoke. Then take out the product and give to another friend who doesn't take your weed, toss it in the microwave, then has the gall to tell you its weak. Some friend! ; )

I mean these sorts of things crack me up. Here you are, you have good environmental control, good genetics, and a good nutrient program from everything you said, your doing just fine. Don't let some buddy tell you different after he ruins your stuff. Trust yourself. Be very careful who you listen to. There are a lot of big talk in this game with very little walk.

it was a 1 bud test of potency only Bdogg. It wasn't meant as anything else. Just to tell me how the potency was so I had reference to pics I took of trichs. I have mason jars for curing, drying rack for drying, when it comes time to chop.

The trichs are a little premature maybe a week at the most. But honestly, how can a test of potency mean anything at all if you toss that bud in the microwave. A microwave literally sends microwaves into whatever has moisture in the microwave. Every single trichome would have popped, the THC would have evaporated. And it must have meant something. You did post a question saying that your "AK-48 bud was weak again." I'm saying you don't know whether it is weak or not. Your concept of testing a bud before cutting down the entire plant is sound. But after you toss a bud in the microwave you may as well smoke sawdust. If you don't have time to dry and cure: smoke, or have someone else smoke the bud wet. Better yet, just wait until you have 90% cloudy trichomes 10% amber. Or for a more lethargic smoke, let more go amber... maybe 30%.

Yes I think you are 100% correct on the nuking of it destroying the trichs and thc. I've since cut off a small bud and letting it qwik dry laying on top of my computer exhaust fan. I just want to get an idea how it's doing. It's in the range of due to chop per seed bank description and I feel like I harvested too early last grow so I'm trying to get data at different stages for long term knowledge.

It is a fine line and one of the hardest things to learn. When to harvest. Dn't go far enough and potency, appearence, odor, and taste all suffer. Harvest too late and you wind up with morphed out and/or seeded bud. Better to go a little early than too late. In my opinion seed companies often overestimate just a bit. Especially if your using Co2 supplementation things can finish much quicker. I say go with your gut. As long as all the trichomes are cloudy then they are at least mostly done. Better to have a few amber in there but too many amber trichs is bad. As the trichs go from cloudy to amber that is a sign of THC degrading. Your descriptions of your grow show you mostly know what your doing so just do you best.

Checked out your journal. Looking good. Not just for a beginner but for anyone. Obviously you've done your homework. Be cool to see pics of the AK-48 in flower though.

on a pure sativa trichs dont go amber hardly ever. that being said do u have a sativa dominant phenotype?!?! that could be a cause imo

Bdogg, new update with pics on the grow with ak48 going up soon.

Glockdoc, It's a hybrid, but I don't know %'s. Based on my previous grow, and knowing which plants these girls were cloned from, I would not say it was the sativa dom pheno of the two phenos I have.

Bdogg, new update with pics on the grow with ak48 going up soon.

Glockdoc, It's a hybrid, but I don't know %'s. Based on my previous grow, and knowing which plants these girls were cloned from, I would not say it was the sativa dom pheno of the two phenos I have.

i see. but if u dont see a difference in a little while time, then you know its sativa dom for that phenotype. was it suppose to be a plant that was high in cbd. im sure u know milky trichs will give u head high, amber will give u relaxed body stone and a mix is a mix

yes, thanks.

I dried another small bud to pass on to my buddy tomorrow. I quick dried it on top of my computer exhaust fan. No cure or anything. I'll load up some tric pics here in a bit.

This is what I'm going to pass on to test:

First three were taken 48 hrs ago while green and just clipped off.
Last four are from today, dry for smoking.

Pics taken while green-undried:
PTDC00018.JPG
PTDC00024.JPG
PTDC00034.JPG

Dried:
PTDC00042.JPG
PTDC00053.JPG
PTDC0006.JPG
PTDC00071.JPG

Back
Top Bottom