Weed Wars: Five-Year-Old Takes Medical Marijuana On Reality Show

Jacob Bell

On Thursday night, the Discovery Channel's controversial reality show "Weed Wars" became even more controversial when a father administered medical marijuana to his five-year-old son in an attempt to ease his seizures.

According to "Weed Wars," Jason has tried to soothe his son Jayden's hour-long seizures since he was four months old. But after finding little success from traditional medication, Jason desperately turned to Harborside Health Center, a medical marijuana dispensary in Oakland and the focus of the Discovery Channel reality show.

(SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO)

"I'm not trying to get my son high," said Jason on the segment. "I'm trying to cure my son's seizures."

In the episode, Jason administered a tincture of medical cannabinoid (CBD) orally with little resistance from Jayden. The CBD tincture he used was non-intoxicating, meaning that Jayden should not have felt any side affect or high.

But with loaded controversy surrounding the use of medical marijuana, critics are sure to be outraged anyway.

Since airing this fall, "Weed Wars" has aimed to shed light on the medical marijuana industry and dispel the myths and stereotypes that might surround it. The medical marijuana war is one that Harborside Health Care has battled for years, and the center drew national attention when it was hit with a $2.4 million tax bill from the IRS last October.

"What kind of drug trafficking organization actually files a tax return? None of them do," said Harborside CEO Steve DeAngelo to The Huffington Post. "The very fact that we filed a tax return and told the IRS all the details of what we are doing proves we are not a drug trafficking organization."

Harborside is certainly testing the limits of public acceptance with the recent episode, but DeAngelo claims that establishing trust is essential to the cause. In an article titled "Don't Call it Pot" in the New York Times, DeAngelo explained that maintaining a safe and legitimate environment is the cornerstone of the organization. "We want to make it safe, seemly and responsible," he said. "If we can't demonstrate professionalism and legitimacy, we're never going to gain the trust of our citizens," said DeAngelo. "And without that trust, we're never going to get to where we need to go."

Watch a clip of Jayden in Thursday's episode of "Weed Wars" below:

Weed Wars - Discovery Channel - Episode 2 - YouTube

weed-wars.jpg

Source: 'Weed Wars': Five-Year-Old Takes Medical Marijuana On Reality Show (VIDEO)

Too bad more people don't see the opportunities that are in front of us, revenue for public services, not wars or big salaries, options for people when it comes to medicine, proven benefits, and what does our gov't do at a time when we need to focus on what is best for the people, they turn their backs.....we need to stand up for our rights in Nov 2012, don't forget...:peace::nicethread:

I love the show but isn't it kinda steriotypical to have hippies named "Dress" etc.
running the show? I understand that they are the people that started the movement to
legitimize mmj but for the people that don't get the usefulness of this medicine it's
"just another hippie trying to get high".

Why don't you educate yourself before you go calling someone a name..... these people do a lot of good for a lot of people...don't judge them, unless you know what you are talking about..:peace:

Farmboy, I don't think Puck was calling anyone names (if that was who you were referring to). He raises a legitimate concern about public perception. That said, for myself, I wear the "hippie" badge proudly (though I will point out that "we" never called ourselves hippie at the time, that was all media hype.) Never-the-less, puck, I think it is important that the general public does get to experience the humanity of those who are usually marginalized in our society: those who are not caged by gender, or "looking" a certain way, or showing emotion, or wearing pigtails. The problem is that our sick culture does not like to portray people like "dress" and DeAngelo as normal, happy, functioning human beings. I am glad that they are being presented in such a genuinely compassionate and intelligent manner. I think it actually enhances the message.

I think that the show makes what have accomplished look bad but they themselves don't help either.In a recent episode DeAngelo was all most late to a speech because he had to stop and grab some medicated gingerbread from Harboside to eat before the speech. To the public I don't think it look good.Don't get me wrong I'm all for what they are doing and what they have accomplished.

Smd621 what are you talking about being almost late is not being late! So your point is dead. Your don't get me wrong plea is also shallow and filled with decite in my smoke filled eyes. :peace: people who say " I don't think" really don't! Your opion not mine.

One of thee worst shows on MMJ I have ever seen. Though I understand the movement and see all that these people are doing... they make the community as a whole look like blundering idiots. Sorry but this is the perception I have recieved. It sucks but how you present yourself is going to win people to our side and if you are high on camera and fumbling your job up because of it... I do not see how maintstream can accept this type of behavior. Again... I understand what they are doing... but the average joe on the street does not.

I love the show but isn't it kinda steriotypical to have hippies named "Dress" etc.
running the show? I understand that they are the people that started the movement to
legitimize mmj but for the people that don't get the usefulness of this medicine it's
"just another hippie trying to get high".

I attend to agree with this comment. We live in a society that has been lied to about Marijuana. Most people think it is an addictive evil drug. People judge others on how they look. It is just like being in a court room in front of a judge. You dress your best and look respectable. Same should be with the people trying to educate the ignorant about cannabis. We must attack the ignorance in every positive way that we are able. We sure do not have much to fight our battle with, so "looks" is a great tool.

I watched both episodes. The "optics" on it only seemed to perpetuate the stereotypes.

The argument of "Marijuana as Medicine" is strong, but undermined by what we saw on screen. Never, ever do bong hits in front of the camera. I wouldn't want a reality crew filming me taking my NSAIDS. Medicine and healthcare is and should always be private. I like and respect the DeAngelo brothers for the risks they are taking and their advocacy.

They didn't help our cause much on the show. Having stated that, the one thing that did help our cause is the cannabis affects on that poor boy's seizures. Those of us who are parents can understand the pain and sorrow of having a suffering child. This dad Jason is a hero for the cause.

The brother should never ever be on camera again, under the influence. It's unprofessional and raises doubts by community leaders that the proprietors will continue to exercise sound judgment.

I pretty much had the same take on the show at first. One might say I had my programmed social response. Love the advocacy but I see a need to watch the image just a bit. After all it is their help that is needed to accomplish their goals. JMHO Not saying become something they are not, but on camera activities and commentary could stand some scrutiny. Then I got to thinking, had it been alcohol they wanted to partake in at the office dinner that day, no one would have said a word. Hmmmmm which is wrong our perception or their choice of reality? Perhaps their perception is responsible real use and how it fits their reality. Now we are talking freedoms and personal choices. How many execs of major corporations deal over drinks? Have it in the office? My father was a salesman and made his best money over drinks to hear him tell it. It's all how you view it.

I applaud the brothers for doing what most of us wish we could do but can't or won't for whatever reason. It will be hard to overcome the negative aspects of the criminal side, the misinformation (lies), and the Hollywood portrayals as well. I saw this same stigma attached to motorcycles as a whole. Only now is it main stream to ride a Harley, have tattoos, and be respected. But we still and always will have pockets of resistance. We can only stay the course, onward to the horizon.

Stephen D'Angelo has it right when he says he believes this plant can free the people and save the planet.

:bravo:

I agree with most of your take except we are at a sensitive stage in the "Weed Wars". The American people do not like in your face counter culturalism (read OWS losers). Who is the better warrior for gay rights? The folks that are everyday, upstanding members of society--who happen to be gay...or the flamboyant flamer riding on top of a float in a gay parade, with a strap-on strapped to his head--holding up a sign demanding gays be respected?

Don't call it pot? Don't call it "Weed Wars". That would have been in my contract.

The dad was a better "Medical Cannabis Warrior" than the De Angelos (in the show only).

For the record, I liked "Dress". He was amusing in a "Soap"/"Taxi" sort of way. He added to the show.

...And I do contribute to the cause by donating money to the ASA.

Stephen D'Angelo has it right when he says he believes this plant can free the people and save the planet.

And the potential to cure alcoholism. Of course some will still prefer to drink for the flavor, but it is a way out for the severe alcoholics.

Wow, which one of these threads do I chime in on? It's funny to see that even with two of these going, you still see people saying the same things in their posts.

What's are these nay-sayers thinking about when they see that CBD has kept this kid seizure free for 4 days after the pharma meds weren't even working for this child?

Would they rather see the dad and his little boy living in agony and fear...these people just want happiness in their lives and all they can come up with is, "it's controversial?" Just pisses me off something terrible!!! Leave these poor people alone and let them live their lives as normal as they can...PERIOD!!!

And the potential to cure alcoholism. Of course some will still prefer to drink for the flavor, but it is a way out for the severe alcoholics.

I was no alcoholic but I drank a good share on the weekends to overcome work stress, escape, feel less physical pain, etc.. I rarely became drunk.

Since I started on the medicine, I've had no desire to drink and never drink more than two. I think that's one reason why my wife is so tolerant of this new love of mine (to grow and consume my own medicine).

Thinking cannabis is some sort of green Jesus seems a little too much, but yeah...it could change the world.

I was no alcoholic but I drank a good share on the weekends to overcome work stress, escape, feel less physical pain, etc.. I rarely became drunk.

Since I started on the medicine, I've had no desire to drink and never drink more than two. I think that's one reason why my wife is so tolerant of this new love of mine (to grow and consume my own medicine).

Thinking cannabis is some sort of green Jesus seems a little too much, but yeah...it could change the world.

Yea, and it got me off coc@ine too, so...their is potential for hard drug users as well as alcoholics.

No, Jesus and canna aren't one and the same but people are now saying that Jesus defiantly used it to heal the sick so...If it's good enough for the big man, it's good enough for us...Right?

Hmmm? now what's exactly wrong with canna? IDK?!

Back
Top Bottom