What deficiency is this?

Prosper

Hey fam,

Is this nutrient burn or something else?

Thanks

Prosper

Attachments

• 20191017_181812.jpg
    20191017_181812.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20191017_181808.jpg
    20191017_181808.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20191017_181807.jpg
    20191017_181807.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20191016_170307.jpg
    20191016_170307.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 68
To me it looks like a sunburn after the leaf got wet. Or it could be a leaf trying to die on you. That happens to me a lot.

Nutrient burn shows at the tips of the leaves. The leaves turn brown and curl up at the ends. You've got something else going on, probably a cal/mag deficiency. We'd need more information to confirm the diagnosis.

This theory lines up with my first plant I grew , it presented cal/mag type deficiencies just looked kind of different. It seems to only occur at the start of my grows. I have added more cal/mag to my nutes and ph adjusted to 5.5

This theory lines up with my first plant I grew , it presented cal/mag type deficiencies just looked kind of different. It seems to only occur at the start of my grows. I have added more cal/mag to my nutes and ph adjusted to 5.5

I find a pH of 5.5 to be too low for hydroponics. I recommend a range of 5.8 to 6.2. Calcium becomes bio-available above pH 6.0, and magnesium at 5.8. Phosphorus is bio-available below pH 6.2, boron below 6.1, and Manganese below 5.9.

Soil is different, an I recommend pH levels between 6.2 and 6.8.

It's probably true. I don't have the equipmemt or capacity to check this out. I looked at this chart, and the chart on another site when deciding how to set my pH.

I'm growing in coco/perlite, so a drain to waste hydroponic system. Up to the flip, I run at 5.8. During the stretch, it's set at 6.0, and during flower 6.2. This was for General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements. It's backwards from what most people recommend, but has worked well for me. I've never had a phosphorus, or any other deficiency with this method.

I'm now at the flip with Mega Crop, and so far this has been working as well.

Phosphorus is low on the concern list. Our plants actually use small amounts of it, contrary to some beliefs. Nitrogen, Potassium, Silicon, and Calcium are all more important than Phosphorus.

In regards to ph during veg. The legend that is @Cultivator once got me back on track after a similar issue. This ended up being one of my best yeilds. He recommend 5.2-5.6 for veg and looking at the chart above this seems correct. It made me nervous at the time but for sure fixed my problems. Very old post FYI
Under or Over Nuted?

I'm very careful when recommending pH. Many folks use a cheap pH pen, or test strips. The accuracy of the cheap pH pens' display is only ±0.2 pH, and that's when after have just been calibrated properly prior to taking the measurement. That error can be enough to ruin a grow if they are at the limits. Some folks rarely, if ever calibrate their pH pens. My pH pen has an accuracy of ±0.03 pH.

I'm very careful when recommending pH. Many folks use a cheap pH pen, or test strips. The accuracy of the cheap pH pens' display is only ±0.2 pH, and that's when after have just been calibrated properly prior to taking the measurement. That error can be enough to ruin a grow if they are at the limits. Some folks rarely, if ever calibrate their pH pens. My pH pen has an accuracy of ±0.03 pH.
Ah good point, I calibrate weekly. I wasn’t trying to so much as personally recommending them to adjust their ph but letting them read what Cultivator suggested to me. Maybe it was a mistake to post.

Ah good point, I calibrate weekly. I wasn’t trying to so much as personally recommending them to adjust their ph but letting them read what Cultivator suggested to me. Maybe it was a mistake to post.

I don't think it was a mistake. It helped you, and may help another. It can be difficult to find the good information burried deep within the older posts here. It's good for them to resurface from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom