What deficiency is this?

Liam300

Hello! I’m growing Ice cream cake in a 5 gallon bucket using DWC method. It currently just entered week 4 of flower, this girl is a monster and has shown no signs of any issues and has taken pretty much anything and everything I throw at her. Yesterday I had to fill her up again so I switched the bucket for a fresh one and filled it 3.25 gallons of dechlorinated tap water then added floramicro (15ml)and florabloom (30ml)and (10ml) of cal mag and PH’d it to 5.9 as always. The ppm was sitting at 1150 which she has had no problem with before. This time I did remove floragro from the mix and something weird occurred. Im not sure if it has to do with removing the floragro but the upper leaves have began to have some bright reddish brownish spots scattered around. It’s not on all the leaves but concentrated on a few of them. Besides the spotting she is still very happy and doing well for now. I have to fill her again tomorrow as she is chugging over a gallon a day now. I didn’t want to jump the gun on anything and the problem didn’t seem to progress much today, but I’d like to address it quickly. If anyone has any idea what’s going on here let me know cause I’m out of ideas. Thanks!
A71D20AE-07DB-4598-BEEF-1A458C135AAC.jpeg
AA825839-41AD-4B3E-B4F4-5F78914F30A2.jpeg
BD26700D-6FF3-4B79-A18E-A699120F0327.jpeg
1B25D2E2-7FD6-4FB2-B57B-C2B68398786E.jpeg
3567A02A-58C6-4822-8406-5523C70CF3B6.jpeg

Did you spill or splash some nutes on them?

Hey @Liam300 , that's Septoria also known as "black spot", it's a fungus, google it ...it starts off looking like "rust" as @013 mentioned, but then it develops a small black spot in the center (that's the actual spore) and then spreads rapidly...

Sorry :sorry: ...you can try to take off the bad leaves and chase it, but I've had it and the only way I got rid of it was by tossing 4 plants :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: ...I tried everything, not saying someone else doesn't have a cure or fix to slow it down for you to make it to harvest...

But hey it looks like you took good care of her...

In the future...wash up and change clothes if you have been outside, don't wear your shoes in the grow room, they track shit in...all it takes is one spore to get in there to create havoc...I've been known to strip to my skivvies before I go in my grow room, that's when I had septoria and was trying to get rid of it...I wish you luck my friend :goodluck::passitleft:

I'd be very surprised if that was septoria. It would be more widespread if it's forming spots like that on a few outer leaves. Not saying it's not but looks nothing like the septoria I've had in the past.

Looks a lot more like water/chemical damage from something splashed on those leaves.

Watch carefully and take a pic of the worst area every day for comparison. If it gets worse then it could very well be septoria or another fungal problem. If you have a potassium silicate product it makes short work of PM, septoria and other moulds/fungi and is good for the plants. A bit of over-spray won't affect the taste of the buds either.

Looking great otherwise!

:peace:

Looks a lot more like water/chemical damage from something splashed on those leaves.

Looking great otherwise!

think you're right

If you have a potassium silicate product it makes short work of PM, septoria and other moulds/fungi and is good for the plants. A bit of over-spray won't affect the taste of the buds either.

sulfur candle / burner will do it. haven't had a burner in yrs and keep thinking i should have one. i just don't get the issues it fixes where i live now, and the one i had was not for such a small space.

Hey @Liam300 , that's Septoria also known as "black spot", it's a fungus, google it ...it starts off looking like "rust" as @013 mentioned, but then it develops a small black spot in the center (that's the actual spore) and then spreads rapidly...

Sorry :sorry: ...you can try to take off the bad leaves and chase it, but I've had it and the only way I got rid of it was by tossing 4 plants :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: ...I tried everything, not saying someone else doesn't have a cure or fix to slow it down for you to make it to harvest...

But hey it looks like you took good care of her...

In the future...wash up and change clothes if you have been outside, don't wear your shoes in the grow room, they track shit in...all it takes is one spore to get in there to create havoc...I've been known to strip to my skivvies before I go in my grow room, that's when I had septoria and was trying to get rid of it...I wish you luck my friend :goodluck::passitleft:
Oh boy! I’ll check them when I get back home to see if it has spread more :( hopefully this isn’t the case but if it is I’ll be stripping all the deceased leaves ASAP. Note taken on hygiene, I sometimes get excited to see them after a long day and go straight to the tent.. i will wash up and change from now on before going in there. Thanks a ton for the input!

I'd be very surprised if that was septoria. It would be more widespread if it's forming spots like that on a few outer leaves. Not saying it's not but looks nothing like the septoria I've had in the past.

Watch carefully and take a pic of the worst area every day for comparison. If it gets worse then it could very well be septoria or another fungal problem. If you have a potassium silicate product it makes short work of PM, septoria and other moulds/fungi and is good for the plants. A bit of over-spray won't affect the taste of the buds either.

Looking great otherwise!

I do have AgroMagen, that would be ok to spray during week 4 of flower?

check the half-life. it's usually not recommended if doesn't dissipate by at least 3 wks before chop.
also strongly suggest bud washing if you do.

Hello! I’m growing Ice cream cake in a 5 gallon bucket using DWC method. It currently just entered week 4 of flower, this girl is a monster and has shown no signs of any issues and has taken pretty much anything and everything I throw at her. Yesterday I had to fill her up again so I switched the bucket for a fresh one and filled it 3.25 gallons of dechlorinated tap water then added floramicro (15ml)and florabloom (30ml)and (10ml) of cal mag and PH’d it to 5.9 as always. The ppm was sitting at 1150 which she has had no problem with before. This time I did remove floragro from the mix and something weird occurred. Im not sure if it has to do with removing the floragro but the upper leaves have began to have some bright reddish brownish spots scattered around. It’s not on all the leaves but concentrated on a few of them. Besides the spotting she is still very happy and doing well for now. I have to fill her again tomorrow as she is chugging over a gallon a day now. I didn’t want to jump the gun on anything and the problem didn’t seem to progress much today, but I’d like to address it quickly. If anyone has any idea what’s going on here let me know cause I’m out of ideas. Thanks!
A71D20AE-07DB-4598-BEEF-1A458C135AAC.jpeg
AA825839-41AD-4B3E-B4F4-5F78914F30A2.jpeg
BD26700D-6FF3-4B79-A18E-A699120F0327.jpeg
1B25D2E2-7FD6-4FB2-B57B-C2B68398786E.jpeg
I went ahead and removed all the damaged leaves. I’m not entirely sure if it’s septoria or not so I thought I’d try and get ahead of it. I will keep you guys updated on the results in a few days. Upon close inspection of the stems and leaves I did find that I have a small thripes
Infestation, not too harmful in my opinion but man I’ve put so much effort into this grow to keep her in tip top shape and these issues are very frustrating! Thanks for all the help everyone.

I do have AgroMagen, that would be ok to spray during week 4 of flower?

That's not just a plain product like potassium silicate. SiO2 on it's own won't give a taste to the buds and is usually added to the soil to make plants stronger and more defensive against things like moulds and fungi but is very effective as a foliar spray. Not targeted against bugs but by making every cell tougher it does make it harder for bugs to feed. It works against fungi by making the pH too high on the leaf surface for them to grow

First I would determine if it is something like septoria before throwing anything at it. Make sure there is a problem before maybe causing one. Don't take all the affected leaves off so you can see if it progresses. Or take them all off and see if it pops up elsewhere before taking other measures.

I did find that I have a small thripes

Thrips aren't that bad and easy to get rid of by using a good old magnifying glass to hunt them down and give them a little rub. Turn off the fan and try not to disturb the leaves while hunting or they run and hide. they like to feed on the surface and recent feeding looks like shiny areas on the leaves so look for those first. The adults are easy to see with just my reading glasses on but the very young are pretty tiny so any little white speck is suspect. I had some going into flowering and now at the end of the fourth week I can't find any at all. Still have a few on some vegging plants so will be spraying those soon with Safer's End All concentrate with 10ml/L canola oil added. Spray every 4th day for 4 or 5 treatments religiously to make sure they get wiped out. Works great for mites too. A 500ml bottle of concentrate makes 10L for the same price as 1L of the ready mixed stuff. Just need a spray bottle to put it in if you buy the concentrate. An old windex bottle will do.

Thrips aren't that bad and easy to get rid of by using a good old magnifying glass to hunt them down and give them a little rub. Turn off the fan and try not to disturb the leaves while hunting or they run and hide. they like to feed on the surface and recent feeding looks like shiny areas on the leaves so look for those first. The adults are easy to see with just my reading glasses on but the very young are pretty tiny so any little white speck is suspect. I had some going into flowering and now at the end of the fourth week I can't find any at all. Still have a few on some vegging plants so will be spraying those soon with Safer's End All concentrate with 10ml/L canola oil added. Spray every 4th day for 4 or 5 treatments religiously to make sure they get wiped out. Works great for mites too. A 500ml bottle of concentrate makes 10L for the same price as 1L of the ready mixed stuff. Just need a spray bottle to put it in if you buy the concentrate. An old windex bottle will do.

I did get the chance to squash a few when I found them haha didn’t know the little suckers hid I’ll shut the fans off and get to squashing once a day

That's not just a plain product like potassium silicate. SiO2 on it's own won't give a taste to the buds and is usually added to the soil to make plants stronger and more defensive against things like moulds and fungi but is very effective as a foliar spray. Not targeted against bugs but by making every cell tougher it does make it harder for bugs to feed. It works against fungi by making the pH too high on the leaf surface for them to grow

First I would determine if it is something like septoria before throwing anything at it. Make sure there is a problem before maybe causing one. Don't take all the affected leaves off so you can see if it progresses. Or take them all off and see if it pops up elsewhere before taking other measures.

Sounds good, I’ll be stopping by the hydro shop tomorrow to pick up some silica blast. Ill foliar spray some and then add It in on the next water change which should be Sunday with how fast she drinking. I already removed all the effected leaves so hopefully it doesn’t reappear

Sounds good, I’ll be stopping by the hydro shop tomorrow to pick up some silica blast. Ill foliar spray some and then add It in on the next water change which should be Sunday with how fast she drinking. I already removed all the effected leaves so hopefully it doesn’t reappear

Silica is very alkaline around pH 9-10 so you should add it to your water then adjust pH. Some say to add it on it's own but I always got the pH down to around 7 then added any nutes I wanted to put in then check the pH and do a final adjustment if needed. Never saw any problems doing that.

Some are different strengths but 5ml/L should be safe with any for a foliar spray.

Unlike mites, thrips tend to stay in one area until their population swells or they've eaten up the leaf finger they are on then they spread out in search of greener pastures.

Back
Top Bottom