What is Diatomaceous Earth all about?

SmokzAlot

Diatomaceous Earth
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diatomaceous earth also known as diatomite or kieselgur/kieselguhr, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 1 micrometre to more than 1 millimetre, but typically 10 to 200 micrometres. This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light as a result of its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of oven-dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide,[2] absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is heat-resistant, it can also be used as a thermal insulator.

Use in Agriculture
Natural freshwater diatomaceous earth is used in agriculture for grain storage as an anticaking agent, as well as an insecticide.[16] It is approved by the US Department of Agriculture as a feed supplement.

It is also used as a neutral anthelmintic (dewormer). Some farmers add it to their livestock and poultry feed to improve the health of animals.[17] "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" is widely available in agricultural feed supply stores. It is acceptable as organic feed additive for livestock.

Use in Hydroponics
Freshwater diatomite can be used as a growing medium in hydroponic gardens. It is also used as a growing medium in potted plants, particularly as bonsai soil. Bonsai enthusiasts use it as a soil additive, or pot a bonsai tree in 100% diatomaceous earth. Like perlite, vermiculite, and expanded clay, it retains water and nutrients, while draining fast and freely, allowing high oxygen circulation within the growing medium.

Use in Pest Control
Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs.

So what does this mean to me? How can I use it in my garden?

It may be the best all natural pest killer and prevent there is, and it's all natural.

You can apply directly to the soil as an amendment or top dressing. You can dust your plants with it as well with a common garden duster. Can be also applied as a foliar feed but will not be effective till it dries. Hence the duster is a better choice. If any pests cross it or ingest it, they are doomed. These jagged edges pierce the waxy protective layer of the exoskeleton, opening the bodily fluids to the dessication effects of the silica. This, obviously, is a very bad thing for the bugs. The bodily fluids are rapidly depleted by the silica, leaving one very dead bug.

As Diatomaceous earth is also comprised of 70-80% silica it is also beneficial for our garden, which is good for the plant both in root health and the support structures, making it more resistant to attacks. Silica GOOD

So practically anything you can think of it can be applied to. Sprinkle it around the grow room. At entry points and cracks where pest enter or harbor. Apply to grow medium the drip tray, anywhere they may cross.

Are we done? Not quite it also is a beneficial amendment to loosen soils and provide more moisture retention much like vermiculite. Or as stated you can just grow in it, being it is an inert medium like perlite and vermiculite.

Where do I get it?
First off don't use Swimming Pool DE is has been treated and is not the same. It is normally easy to locate at any feed and grain supply as it is a regular staple in the agriculture community. Powder is what you want as a first choice as it more applicable to a multitude of applications. The course stuff they sell at the hydro shop is more adept for a growing medium. Health food stores and the like will carry FDA approved food grade that is safe for consumption as well.

Now on to alternative sources....
Napa Auto Parts sells a floor dry product that is 100% DE
Non clumping cat litters are also made with DE, some 100%

DE is handy for stabilizing that pesky stock of nitroglycerin you might have laying around too, lol (that's how you make dynamite).

Seriously, though, thanks for posting this. A lot of people probably didn't know how useful DE can be to people who grow cannabis (or any other crop).

+REPs!

DE is handy for stabilizing that pesky stock of nitroglycerin you might have laying around too, lol (that's how you make dynamite).

Seriously, though, thanks for posting this. A lot of people probably didn't know how useful DE can be to people who grow cannabis (or any other crop).

+REPs!

Thanks for the Reps!
:thanks:

I saw that as well, many common uses. It's in many scouring powders, which I have used to stop insects but never knew why. One can also dust their pet with it to eliminate and prevent a plethora of pests that crawl, fly and burrow. Use it in the bedding as well. It's fed to live stock for various reasons. People as well can consume the food grade to eliminate worms and parasites. It also aids in the removal of heavy metals from the body. Got head lice, it can fix that too.

Hey SmokzAlot, thanks for ups and looked at your 1st journal to get idea on how to proceed. I`m good at growing but terrible at this formal stuff. Like a play or resitail in elementry school on stage. The dirt is some great stuff huh!! When I can I give my indoor as much real sun as I can. Then go back inside for rest of 24 for veg.(save a shit load on elec.bill) this dirt, DONT INHALE. When I bring outside to pervent bugs from coming back in. I have trash bag spread out and cover with dirt then place pot on milk crate on dirt. Friend has 2 bee boxes for honey. They use a layer of this and set frame that holds box on it. Keeps hive safe no other crawlers can get to them. There are certian beetles and most ants will raid hives and this stops them and any others. Good stuff and all naturial. Thanks hope I get so good shots to share!!:420:

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Available at most feed stores. This 40lb bag was $13.95
This can be top dressed, dusted, and so on as it is a fine powder. Perfect for pest in gardens, homes, and pets.

This particular product also contains.. Calcium bentonite

'Wiki says'
Calcium bentonite is a useful adsorbent of ions in solution,[4] as well as fats and oils, being a main active ingredient of fuller's earth, probably one of the earliest industrial cleaning agents.[5] Calcium bentonite may be converted to sodium bentonite (termed sodium beneficiation or sodium activation) to exhibit many of sodium bentonite's properties by a process known as "ion exchange" (patented in 1935 by Germans U Hofmann and K Endell). In common usage, this means adding 5—10% of a soluble sodium salt such as sodium carbonate to wet bentonite, mixing well, and allowing time for the ion exchange to take place and water to remove the exchanged calcium.[citation needed] Some properties, such as viscosity and fluid loss of suspensions, of sodium-beneficiated calcium bentonite (or sodium-activated bentonite) may not be fully equivalent to those of natural sodium bentonite.[1] For example, residual calcium carbonates (formed if exchanged cations are insufficiently removed) may result in inferior performance of the bentonite in geosynthetic liners.[6]

Making it a great additive to your garden as well by expanding your cation exchange and being a source of calcium.

diatomaceaous_earth.jpg

from their web...
Available at the better feed and agricultural supply stores throughout United States.

40 lb (18.2 kg) bags
1000 lb totes.

Granulations:
W099 - Crystals,
W102 - Fine,
W104 - Powder,
W106 - Granula

Oil Absorbent Product
Here is a NAPA auto parts product made of 100% diatomite.
This one would be better suited for hydro use or loosening soil.

napa_de.jpg

Comparisons

A quick google shows that most hydro and specialty shops sell it at a much inflated price.

Examples given:
6lbs. @ $9 +shipping
1lb. @ $9.95 +shipping
1.5lb. @ $5.69

My local hydro had what appeared to be a large bag of chunky Diatomite, that was priced @ $38

In an article on DE in COMMON SENSE PEST CONTROL QUARTERLY, published by BIRC, Volume III, Number 1, Winter 1987, the matter of safety is explored.

"Both swimming pool grade and natural diatomaceous earth come from the same fossil sources but they are processed differently. The natural grades are mined, dried, ground, sled and bagged. The pool grade is chemically treated and partially melted and consequently contains crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard. Thus, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ONLY NATURAL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH BE USED FOR INSECT CONTROL. This non-crystalline silica is not a hazard as the human body apparently can dissolve it. "

crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard.

Excellent and important point. Silicosis is NO fun.

+REPs! [EDIT: I can't. Apparently, you've done something nice for us already, lol, and I REPped you on it. Can someone throw him some REPs for the health warning?]

:peace::peace:I have used the pool grade for years outdoors. Yes it is and I stated in one post this is good and bad. These "shards" cut into insects like razors and dehydrate them or clog pore`s in there skelitan to breathe and vent. This is poison and TO be treated as such! Eye and dust mask( contruction grade) not those $3 dollar box of 50 for sweeping in dust/work shop. Gloves and anything else that YOU are recommended to in the instructions. This is all naturial, but deadly. If done in early morning or simply mist/spray area with water this will let it lay down(dust) to stettle into that area. After I pull plants I throw 3-4 Tlbs in with enough growing dirt to fill whole and cover with 2ft sq. piece plywood . In spring when I go to trasnplant, it is in soil already. So as larve, grubs and other soil critters start there spring thing, it`s on them!! This way PEST bugs are targeted and like in wor. Friendly fire and civilian casualties can be expected( sorry worms ) but I compost and a piece of bread on the pile brings them to the surface. The reson I forgot but actually saw this on Dirty Jobs and tried. In an hour they are in the first inch of dirt. So scoop under them with bread on top and lay next to plant stem. By night fall they go down byself and after 3-4 waterings it is washed down and is a mine field for bugs. I add scoop of worws once a week. They die and are replaced and compost on top is good organic fertilizer for soil and I call little elements/ metals. The other`s not the big 3. These plant is always looking for and your not adding any extra heavy dose`s of N-P-K. Dont be foolish, this is a poison. Crop dusting is out of question sure. But like nuit`s if you dont know and start your own routien chart/mixing this is just as poison`s to ENTIRE grow area. This is safer then most baged dirt with add-ins. Scott`s with there time release micro nuit`s and that water retention add in. These 2 and need to grow more so nuit the hell out of it. Reek more havic. You dont know how much nuits the plant is actualy getting/using. The water stuff is a gelatin/cellulose powder that is in those packets under meat in store to hold the blood from steaks and chicken. It is non toxic but to plants: root rot, lock up that you will never flush out because the nuit`s are stored in this. So you can do the neem plus garlic/dish soap or be safe and responsible and a costodiane to the enviernment. I learned early, anything at any level will and can kill. Moderation works on all of these issue`s and you can always add more, not take out. And if I go for the $250 10 seed fem`s pak. You better belive I will have 10 plants for harvest and 1/4 acre of dead bugs. That I can replace! Worms, ladybugs and a $1.95 pak of Burrpee`s ass. flowering perinials in little pots around grow attract bees and flying chewwer`s will go for these tender flowering plants over vegging plants. This is what I do, there dead and I replace friendly`er critters in my grow. It`s MINE and with experiance and care this is effective poison. Think, how "SAFE" can something be that is solely designed to KILL something??!! Think it out and then apply. very simple. The chose is yours in YOUR grow. THINK!!
:420:

Think it out and then apply. very simple. The chose is yours in YOUR grow. THINK!!

goofyfoot, very good information and advice. It would be a great read if it wasn't all one huge block. :/

I've been looking all around to find some. The local hardware/garden store, the feed store, the two big box stores......the search continues.

goofyfoot, very good information and advice. It would be a great read if it wasn't all one huge block. :/

I've been looking all around to find some. The local hardware/garden store, the feed store, the two big box stores......the search continues.

you can try your local pet store, they sell it for aquarium filters. safe for fish should be ok for you

Just got off amazon, go to lawn, garden. Then search jacuzzi filters and scroll down 2 lines. 25lbs. bag for $20. Buy some heavy duty dust masks and mist area to apply to. So it wont blow around, this is very effective and shows no mercey. Use care and caution as it is just that POISON

Ifyou have locial pool service company or pool cleaning supply dealer this is where I first found this. Haven`t check Wal-mart or Home Depot since the bag I got from Amazon 2 years ago is 3/4 full. Keep in 20gal plastic drum w/lid and marked POISON. A little kills a lot!! Good luck and please be safe!! I turned in a paper, 25 page essay for engish class in school. It was a 25 page run on sentance and got A for containt and D for structor and spelling. The way I am. Blockey yes but what ever I post I do so with actaully applying or doing what is stated. Most for better results and some failures. But no matter how crazy or off the wall it may sound, I can say for most part it`s to improve or increase easy for me or others to succsessfully grow and enjoy. This little, God given plant who`s benifits far out way the negative asspects that others only present. Grow big, grow stronge and enjoy doing it. Not paceing grow room pulling hair out over issue`s that we created or "experiment" in how many different combo`s of improvment items we can throw at them at once. Without killing,lock-up or deficencey due to over board and unfounded results we created. Like people we need steriods and body produces them. If we introduce more what happenes?? You know and see what happenes when we do go overboard, stunning yes. Heathy no!! I just think about results before I do anything and when I use past knowlege in process. It allways leads to common sence and useingless then what is recommened. Also many things for other plants (tomatos,azalias and some palms/ferns apply to pot plants. It`s your grow do what you want, just use your noodle, forsee results and use common sence and experiance. This will allow you to post killer pic`s instead for asking for advice or how to fix your mess. I started out knowing nothing and killing everything I touched. In 20 years all I know is what not to do!! I need 20 more to find out what exactly to do. Get the point, I still dont now right way/only way to grow killer shit. I do know that limiting and controlling what I have learnd helps me produce great buds. Every year bigger and better with LESS work, energy and frustations, I enjoy every part from germ. to bong hit!! This is me and this is my method. Less is more and its your mind controling your hands that are touching your plants. What and how you do things is more important then is BPL nuit`s compared to Fox Farms or dryed alge from fresh water pond down street and worm castings. I do these to with no salt whole peanuts crushed and: brown bananna`s on sale, they sell fresh corn in market and have trash can for coustomers to husk. I asked for them to save and use greens and silk in compost. Coffee grinds/ ice tea from resturant I work at. Shrimp and crab shells, outside cabbage leave and colliared greens. Throw a few whole beets and corrots. The cost to buy the non for free items is one tenth of packaged stuffs. It takes 3-4 months just being cover and left allow. Use in soil or make tea with 1/4tea.spoon mollasses and 1 drop of hydrogenperoxide per quart. You can pour this all over plants every day: soil, coco, pellets or get tested and ajust for straight Hydro solution. It has evertything a plant needs and will not overload it systems that are growing. What it doesn`t need/ use is whating for it not causing issue`s till it can be used or flushed out. I wanted organic nuit`s for free, only need to wait 3-4 months and do nothing but wait. I have great plants with great knock out buds and if yield for a plant is low. I grow 2 plants to get 1000 grams before cure and have no issue`s dumping shit on one plant to try to increase yield or potencey and all the bullshit that goes hand and hand with this practice. Hell ask anyone that subscribes to this site, to look back to figure out what caused there problems. You will see that what I say is true, I have done the what else is there to use. Now I follow what dont I need and how little is just enough. I have alot more, 21 years and 2 arrests and still growing how to grow list. Till the day they get into the lock box of info in the seed itself. Do this and the seed has list of items, ammounts and instructions on what to do for each seed!! Every seed like children are different they all have your last name but even if identical twins, there all totaly different on needs and wants. MORE TO COME **PEACE**

ifyou have locial pool service company or pool cleaning supply dealer this is where i first found this. Haven`t check wal-mart or home depot since the bag i got from amazon 2 years ago is 3/4 full. Keep in 20gal plastic drum w/lid and marked poison. A little kills a lot!! Good luck and please be safe!! I turned in a paper, 25 page essay for engish class in school. It was a 25 page run on sentance and got a for containt and d for structor and spelling. The way i am. Blockey yes but what ever i post i do so with actaully applying or doing what is stated. Most for better results and some failures. But no matter how crazy or off the wall it may sound, i can say for most part it`s to improve or increase easy for me or others to succsessfully grow and enjoy. This little, god given plant who`s benifits far out way the negative asspects that others only present. Grow big, grow stronge and enjoy doing it. Not paceing grow room pulling hair out over issue`s that we created or "experiment" in how many different combo`s of improvment items we can throw at them at once. Without killing,lock-up or deficencey due to over board and unfounded results we created. Like people we need steriods and body produces them. If we introduce more what happenes?? You know and see what happenes when we do go overboard, stunning yes. Heathy no!! I just think about results before i do anything and when i use past knowlege in process. It allways leads to common sence and useingless then what is recommened. Also many things for other plants (tomatos,azalias and some palms/ferns apply to pot plants. It`s your grow do what you want, just use your noodle, forsee results and use common sence and experiance. This will allow you to post killer pic`s instead for asking for advice or how to fix your mess. I started out knowing nothing and killing everything i touched. In 20 years all i know is what not to do!! I need 20 more to find out what exactly to do. Get the point, i still dont now right way/only way to grow killer shit. I do know that limiting and controlling what i have learnd helps me produce great buds. Every year bigger and better with less work, energy and frustations, i enjoy every part from germ. To bong hit!! This is me and this is my method. Less is more and its your mind controling your hands that are touching your plants. What and how you do things is more important then is bpl nuit`s compared to fox farms or dryed alge from fresh water pond down street and worm castings. I do these to with no salt whole peanuts crushed and: Brown bananna`s on sale, they sell fresh corn in market and have trash can for coustomers to husk. I asked for them to save and use greens and silk in compost. Coffee grinds/ ice tea from resturant i work at. Shrimp and crab shells, outside cabbage leave and colliared greens. Throw a few whole beets and corrots. The cost to buy the non for free items is one tenth of packaged stuffs. It takes 3-4 months just being cover and left allow. Use in soil or make tea with 1/4tea.spoon mollasses and 1 drop of hydrogenperoxide per quart. You can pour this all over plants every day: Soil, coco, pellets or get tested and ajust for straight hydro solution. It has evertything a plant needs and will not overload it systems that are growing. What it doesn`t need/ use is whating for it not causing issue`s till it can be used or flushed out. I wanted organic nuit`s for free, only need to wait 3-4 months and do nothing but wait. I have great plants with great knock out buds and if yield for a plant is low. I grow 2 plants to get 1000 grams before cure and have no issue`s dumping shit on one plant to try to increase yield or potencey and all the bullshit that goes hand and hand with this practice. Hell ask anyone that subscribes to this site, to look back to figure out what caused there problems. You will see that what i say is true, i have done the what else is there to use. Now i follow what dont i need and how little is just enough. I have alot more, 21 years and 2 arrests and still growing how to grow list. Till the day they get into the lock box of info in the seed itself. Do this and the seed has list of items, ammounts and instructions on what to do for each seed!! Every seed like children are different they all have your last name but even if identical twins, there all totaly different on needs and wants. More to come **peace**
never meet a nugget i couldn`t lite!!!

Would like to see this thread continue, its great info. I'll add to it.

1. Put a layer on my soil, Gnats (yes) gone overnight
2. Ants (no) near grow room along molding, they laughed at it and are still laughing 48 hours later

Source: Lowes
Manufacture: Garden Safe

Thanks for adding to the thread.
:thanks:

Please include:
Source
Pool grade or Food Grade?
How did you apply it?

Keep the real experiences coming....

well sir I have not used this in the garden but have used this in a aquarium. not the same stuff as in a pool. that said I was trying to help you find it local. I to and also intrested in the info about this.:Namaste:

well sir I have not used this in the garden but have used this in a aquarium. not the same stuff as in a pool. that said I was trying to help you find it local. I to and also intrested in the info about this.:Namaste:

My mistake I should have noted it was for PuffPuff

Makes the data functional knowing how it was used and such.

I would ask are the ants walkin thru it or have contact with this( get it on them). Also the ants follow invisiable therimon trail. So the one`s you see truggin` along are merelly a few of 100,000.00 an hour that will follow the trial . If they die back in nest they get consumed and no real way to tell. Unless its an ant farm, like you had as a kid. To see the ones that walked by an hour ago and have died in nest. I found it good on catipiler, leaf cutting beetles, those rolly-polly bugs that eat roots. Main thing is to have them contact this stuff as they move and clean themselfs they work it in and doom!!! So misting area and plant will help hold this in/on area where applied. The ants are the friendly fire casualties. In fact had ants make nest in one pot,when I dug in to transplant they had little larve and where carrying them around. If anything they help airate the soil with there tunnels and if they are nesting. Anything no matter how big will be destoryed and eaten if it gets near there larve. NEVER had an issuee of any kind with ants damaging/destorying plants or affecting growth. We have fire ants big time!!!! When I go on full moon to check on them, if you walk thru or stand in a mound not seeing it. Dont worry it only takes 30 seconds and you will be ripping off shoes, socks and pants really quick!! The screams will alert people to grow so these bastards have been my only ant problem!!!! JUST USE CARE IT~S POISON and if you look at it compared to coffee creamer powder you cant tell the differance. PEACE and death to those who come for your plants.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom