Diatomaceous Earth: Bad for biology?

Diatomaceous earth causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process. It remains effective as long as it is kept dry and undisturbed. (so yes, it will kill any beneficials crawling thru it too)

I'm not sure how cold is too cold, I tend to treat my plants like I treat myself temperature wise. If I wouldn't like the feel of it on my hand, I don't put it in my plant. That said, too cold is better than no water at all, assuming it is in an environment that can bring that temp back up in a reasonable amount of time.

Will diatomaceous earth affect beneficial biology in a organic grow? And not related but what temp would be too cold to water cannabis plants?
It doesn't affect microbes or fungi, but as @Sueet said, it kills/harms all insects and arachnids.

Will diatomaceous earth affect beneficial biology in a organic grow? And not related but what temp would be too cold to water cannabis plants?
Hello @Kapncannabis hope you are well today
18c and above I find is best for nutrient uptake in a pot.
See above with the Di..... what ever its called. :laugh:

Stay safe
Bill

Diatomaceous earth causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process. It remains effective as long as it is kept dry and undisturbed. (so yes, it will kill any beneficials crawling thru it too)

I'm not sure how cold is too cold, I tend to treat my plants like I treat myself temperature wise. If I wouldn't like the feel of it on my hand, I don't put it in my plant. That said, too cold is better than no water at all, assuming it is in an environment that can bring that temp back up in a reasonable amount of time.
thanks Sueet, my beneficials are all below soil, no ontop soil beneficials that i am aware of. trying to rid of fungus gnats with no pesticides . and I asked about the watering temp because to me I dont enjoy pool water below 82 degrees hahaha (getting old syndrome) and I dont think that would be a very optimal temp for plants. so i will use a thermometer @ 18c @Bill284 instead of the top of my hand:rolleyes:

Personally I had no real luck using diatomaceous earth for fungus gnats, the lil bastiges looked like they were playing in it o_O And then to boot, I water from the top which turned that stuff into something like concrete that locked up the top of my soil. (Yea, dumb, I know)
I ended up finally winning that battle with a combination of the yellow sticky cards, a low-powered fan pointed directly at the top of the soil (across wasn't working, kept blowing bits of soil away), and a light watering with peroxide water (I used 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water, just enough to fully wet the top layer of soil) every day or so to kill new eggs. (I also have some vibrating/daddy long leg spiders in the room now, so they might have helped too)

Ditto on Sueet food grade diatomaceous earth is tumbled but garden variety is supposed to kill by dessication and microscopic sharp edges buts it’s only effective as surface treatment when it’s dry….. should not bother critters below grade as far as I know

just know that handling diatomaceous earth is really bad for your lungs so wear a mask

ditto Sueet a second time - fan moving air across soil line if they can’t land they can’t lay eggs

another route is add Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelinsis (might have pooched spelling there but whatevs) to your 5 gallon water buckets to soak overnite…. BTi is found in mosquito dunks or mosquito bits from Lowes or Tractor Supply

If you have large pots with a good mulch layer then nothing beats Rove Beetles to get rid of all soil borne pest especially fungus gnats.
If you dont have a hospitable environment for the Beetles then use Gnatrol which is BTI everytime you water for 3 weeks and cover the top of the soil with yellow sticky cards folded into tents.

Either of these options is guaranteed to get rid of fungus gnats.

thanks Sueet, my beneficials are all below soil, no ontop soil beneficials that i am aware of. trying to rid of fungus gnats with no pesticides . and I asked about the watering temp because to me I dont enjoy pool water below 82 degrees hahaha (getting old syndrome) and I dont think that would be a very optimal temp for plants. so i will use a thermometer @ 18c @Bill284 instead of the top of my hand:rolleyes:
Best way to get rid of fungus gnats = fan on the soil line.

They need to get back to the soil to lay eggs and reproduce. They are not very good fliers so a little breeze is enough. That and the flow of air across the soil will dry the surface of the soil out more which is also detrimental to their reproduction and food source.

The extra air is also good for your plants (respiration enhancement) and your soil.

Back
Top Bottom