Making butter - diatomaceous earth particulate question

NewlyGrowin

Morning folks!

So I may have not completely thought the "order of operations" through in my first grow. Now I am making butter for the first time.

I harvested three autoflower Northern Lights and got about 2.5-3 ounces of good bud out of it and they are curing happily. (yay!)

I saved the trim and I estimate I have about 3-4 ounces of trim. Now, this includes stems, leaves, some smallish buds I left in the trim and also particulates. The fact is I coat my plants with Diatomacous earth to keep the pests away. I did not wash them before I trimmed everything but after.

I am thinking with the water/butter method of prepping butter I shouldn't have to worry about it as the DE and any other things should drop out of the butter and stay in the water once I get it in the refrigerator.

Is this acceptable? I am not worried about consuming the DE but rather the gritty texture it would leave behind if it doesn't fall out of the butter.

Am I once again overthinking this?

Thanks in advance,
NG

I store all of my leftover trim and small nugs in the freezer until I'm ready to brew a new batch. I make oil instead of butter but same concept. I'm not sure on the diatomaceous earth I rinse my plant with h2o and a drop of dawn before harvest. Hope you figure it out!!

I have only used it on the top of the soil, I would just make sure you are getting the "food grade" stuff as it is different than the kind used in pool filters if you going to put it on the plants like that.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Decarbing is done and I came out with 1.5 ounces of dried leaf and 1/2 ounce of stem. (I milled the stem into a powder afterwards.)

2 ounces of total shake, I am thinking 2 pounds of butter?

Also, I DO in fact use Food grade DE. I use it in my smoothies as well. I am not averse to eating it, if I make cookies or brownies or something I just want to make sure it isn't gritty.

2 ounces of total shake, I am thinking 2 pounds of butter?
One ounce of trim per lb of butter is pretty standard. I have used as much as 2 ounces in the past. Guess it depends on preference/tolerance

I use diatomaceous earth on top of my soil as well. I didn't know that there was a kind used for pool filters thanks for the heads up.

Yeah it is a ton more cheaper but doesn't have the same "standards" as it is just a filtering medium.

Back
Top Bottom