What kind of problem here

dieselskunk

I am growing Bublé Gum in soil, peat vermiculite with composted sea weed and lobster and poultry manure. The light is T5's about 10"away from the plants, I am growing 6 of them. ph of soil is 6.5 and tap water from well is 7.0. the soil temp is 64*. I just transplanted today into 1 gal pots for now and they are 4 weeks old. The first fan leaves have purple stems and are yellow with dark patches. DO I need to star using nutes or is this normal?
leaf problem s.jpg

leaf problem 2.jpg

I am growing Bublé Gum in soil, peat vermiculite with composted sea weed and lobster and poultry manure. The light is T5's about 10"away from the plants, I am growing 6 of them. ph of soil is 6.5 and tap water from well is 7.0. the soil temp is 64*. I just transplanted today into 1 gal pots for now and they are 4 weeks old. The first fan leaves have purple stems and are yellow with dark patches. DO I need to star using nutes or is this normal?
leaf problem s.jpg

leaf problem 2.jpg
Good morning @dieselskunk hope you are well today.
Nice garden.
As mentioned you need to get them into decent pots/ bags.
And you will need a decent nutrient line for them and start feeding.
@GeoFlora Nutrients would be perfect for you.
Mix your nutrients then set your ph to 6.3.
Feed every other watering and let them dry out in between.

Stay safe.
Bill

Lobster manure? I am blazed and trying to get my head around collecting lobster turds. Can't be easy.
I wonder do they put it in little bags like dog poop?
Got to keep things clean.hehe :rofl: :laugh:

Stay safe.
Bill

I just transplanted today into 1 gal pots for now and they are 4 weeks old. The first fan leaves have purple stems and are yellow with dark patches. DO I need to star using nutes or is this normal?
It is normal for plants that have been kept in the small plastic cups for way to long. The plant is demanding more from the soil than the soil can produce. Even the plastic pot that we can see in the 2nd photo looks like it is to small and those plants will be outgrowing them in a week or so after the roots recover.

Several questions which will help. You said "....ph of soil is 6.5 and tap water from well is 7.0." There is no point in worrying about the pH of the soil but the pH of your well water should be verified because 7.0 is a tad bit high. What is important is the pH of the water at the time you are watering the plants.

You also mentioned that "The first fan leaves have purple stems and are yellow with dark patches. DO I need to star using nutes...". Some plants naturally have a purple color to the leaf stems and later towards the end of their life cycle they will have purple leaves and stems. But, this early in the grow it is very possible that the color is a sign of lack of one or more nutrients.

Figure out what size pots and the type of soil mix you plan on using and that will give a better idea of what nutrients to use.

Enjoy your day.

Lobster manure? I am blazed and trying to get my head around collecting lobster turds. Can't be easy.
LOL, i was visually thinking the same thing, LOL, funny

Good morning @dieselskunk hope you are well today.
Nice garden.
As mentioned you need to get them into decent pots/ bags.
And you will need a decent nutrient line for them and start feeding.
@GeoFlora Nutrients would be perfect for you.
Mix your nutrients then set your ph to 6.3.
Feed every other watering and let them dry out in between.

Stay safe.
Bill
Thanks @Bill284!

@dieselskunk If you have any questions feel free to reach out!

Thanks for the responses, yea transplanted late and in a week or two going inti 5 gal pots. no it's not me composting, it's a organic potting soil. I'll start adding nutes now that they are bigger.

Bar Harbor Blend Organic Potting Soil

Uses: House plants, hanging baskets, window boxes, container gardens – Also terrific for growing vegetables!

Coast of Maine Organic Products Bar Harbor Blend Organic Potting Soil is a lightweight soil mixture made with salmon, blueberry, lobster and other composts, as well as calcium and chitin-rich lobster shells, sphagnum peat, perlite and kelp meal. It is dark brown in color and provides the perfect balance between water retention and drainage needed for healthy plants. It is OMRI listed for use in organic gardens.
Available in 8qt, 16qt, 1cf and 2cf bags.

Target pH 6.2

to early for a 5gallon, but i also think 5 gallon is over kill unless outside growers, but thats just me. Transplant should happen when the current container needs watered back to back days in soil.

Back
Top Bottom