What light schedule when you don't know your seed?

Sachvie

Hello everyone, I tried to search this but couldn't find a definite answer, also asked in another thread but wanted to get a wide variety of views.

I have a nice plant that I grew from bag seeds from a strain called purple dragon. I tried to look up info on the strain but I don't know if strains can be both photo or auto depending where they come from? She was in veg for about 5 weeks and then I flipped her to flower 12/12 about 2 weeks ago. I'm just growing in soil.

So what I'm wondering is what is the best light cycle when you don't know if you have a photo or auto? I'm concerned I won't have a very good harvest if she's a photo being on 12/12.
Can I go backwards and lengthen my light time if I need too?

Any and all help always appreciated :green_heart:

Give us some pics of your grow. In week five, if was one auto the plant would be in flower or very close showing pistils everywhere even in the tops. If barely get pistils, I guessing it's one photo. With autos, 20/4 is a good light schedule. With photo 12/12, for the majority, and some experiment with more darkness... but not by much. Hope this helps

Give us some pics of your grow. In week five, if was one auto the plant would be in flower or very close showing pistils everywhere even in the tops. If barely get pistils, I guessing it's one photo. With autos, 20/4 is a good light schedule. With photo 12/12, for the majority, and some experiment with more darkness... but not by much. Hope this helps
Thanks for the quick reply. I would gets pics but I'm working :high-five:

I'm thinking I have an auto as to what you said. I was seeing pistils well before I set her into flower. I didn't know why I was seeing pistils that early. I had never seen them that early before. (This is being my third grow)

So now, do you think I am good to switch her back to 20/4 ? Will that bother her?

Sounds a tasty strain bud :thumb:

In normal contrast of such a question I would assume bag seed from under known source of a generic photoperiod strain in general !

The question of question is I've not heard of any tales of grows related to bag seed from autos... FUZZY BIG QUESTION !

In normal contrast of such a question I would assume bag seed from under known source of a generic photoperiod strain in general !

The question of question is I've not heard of any tales of grows related to bag seed from autos... FUZZY BIG QUESTION !
:lot-o-toke: Wish I knew exactly what you were sayin' lol

Are you saying that generally bag seeds are of photo genetics? I believe that, as my last two seemed to be.

Is there any other way to tell if I have photo/auto then?

I wish I knew :ganjamon:

But how ever there is plenty of info out their about the purple dragon strain, we are not sure about your seed origin bag of bag seed in less you know the grower in person to question them where they got the seed from ?

That is Rock 'n' Roll science bro...

But in general photoperiod strains are used for large cultivation projects.

:lot-o-toke: Wish I knew exactly what you were sayin' lol

Are you saying that generally bag seeds are of photo genetics? I believe that, as my last two seemed to be.

Is there any other way to tell if I have photo/auto then?
If it's a photo plant and you put it back to 20/4 light schedule it will start to reveg.
Photo plants will produce pistels to show sex before lights are turned to 12/12

pics would help for sure to see the top of your purple dragon….

generally speaking for bagseed I would assume photoperiod and regular seed as opposed to feminized but anything is possible

depends on whether the plant has produced enough flower hormones to convert it over….

bag seed plus the fact you vegged for 5 weeks = pretty confident you have a photoperiod, 18/6 is best light schedule then 12/12 after the flip

for autos most do 24 hours for a week or two then jump to 20/4 til harvest
autos will flower regardless of light hours

photoperiods may possibly show pistils, preflowers or sexual maturity before the flip…. but there are no guarantees….. for example - what happens when plants are started at 12/12 or flipped at 4 weeks of age?? slicker than a cue ball….. more bald than a corvette owner

pics would help for sure to see the top of your purple dragon….
PXL_20220124_030124675.jpg
PXL_20220124_030105025.jpg
PXL_20220124_030033829.jpg

photoperiods may possibly show pistils, preflowers or sexual maturity before the flip…. but there are no guarantees….. for example - what happens when plants are started at 12/12 or flipped at 4 weeks of age?? slicker than a cue ball….. more bald than a corvette owner
That's funny stuff right there. So I noticed I was closer to 6 weeks maybe it was going to flower on it's own at that point?

for autos most do 24 hours for a week or two then jump to 20/4 til harvest
autos will flower regardless of light hours
Basically what I was concerned about, thought that's why when I saw the pistils before the flip and read that it could have meant it was auto.

Thanks for the info though :smokin:

Wow sweeeeet coloring on that one... Great job what ever your doing.
Thanks! :high-five:

Do you have any pics before you flipped to 12/12 ? Any that show the first sight of pistils? And I agree with the others. She is a stunner. Absolutely love the colors.
Thanks!! But nooo, I wish I had taken pics but like an idiot I did not. The pistils in which I speak of that I saw early were coming from the 'lady parts'. Not sure the terminology lol but they weren't coming out of the tops, or bud sites. But more at the established 'crotches' ? Of the plant where I noticed the she was a girl.

I really need to catch up on my terminology lol

@IKilledIt I tried taking a pic of what I am talking about on my plant. I believe the calyx just has white stigmas??? o_Osorry for the blurple.

PXL_20220124_163938185.jpg

I just found out not long that autos and photos have different light schedules. So I just want to make sure I'm getting a good yield. But I was also unaware that most operations are photo.

I feel ya man. Not knowing what you got is not good. Your basically stuck between a rock and a hard place. 12/12 will not benefit if you have an auto as @013 mentioned. And if you do have a feminized photo plant. I’d be afraid a switch back to 20/4 could hermie your plant. But if it is a photo at 2 weeks flip in 12/12. This is where you wanna be.

Back
Top Bottom