What size cabinet should I look for?

Highat33

420 Member
Hey everyone, I'm new to cannabis and now looking to grow my own with a DIY grow cabinet. Ideally I'd like to have the capacity to get 4-6oz per grow, but what size cabinet would I need for that kind of yield?

Hello Highat33, and welcome to 420 Magazine.
Are you set on a cabinet, or would you consider a grow tent?
I'm sure a cabinet large enough to obtain 4-6 ounces even for an experienced grower would be more costly than a cheap grow tent. Something to consider...

Hello Highat33, and welcome to 420 Magazine.
Are you set on a cabinet, or would you consider a grow tent?
I'm sure a cabinet large enough to obtain 4-6 ounces even for an experienced grower would be more costly than a cheap grow tent. Something to consider...

I'm certainly not dead set on it, but I was leaning towards to cabinet because it seemed like it might hold up on my patio better than a tent. As well as potentially insulate better for the upcoming winter.

Yeah depends how cold it gets there, as a cabinet will insulate better than a tent but not all that much more really, and cabinet's tend to hold the temps be it too hot or too cold unless you insulate them and lots of air changing. I ended up insulating my shed and grow in that, but my old cabinets stay warmer/colder than the shed actually by a few degrees (as I still use those for plants at younger stages than my shed space). First link in my Sig you can see what I started with and kind of where I ended up, just have to skim thru part of it but most of that is in the first few pages I think.

Oh, I see. You plan on having this outside your home? What is your climate like? Do you get below freezing at night during the winter time?

That's currently the idea. I work with fairly ignorant people who view cannabis in the same regard as meth.(Not kidding) So my biggest fear is having some flower permeate my home and make me smell like weed at work.

During late December-February it will occasionally dip below freezing. I'm assuming from what I've read that may be a deal killer for an outdoor box/tent??

Yeah depends how cold it gets there, as a cabinet will insulate better than a tent but not all that much more really, and cabinet's tend to hold the temps be it too hot or too cold unless you insulate them and lots of air changing. I ended up insulating my shed and grow in that, but my old cabinets stay warmer/colder than the shed actually by a few degrees (as I still use those for plants at younger stages than my shed space). First link in my Sig you can see what I started with and kind of where I ended up, just have to skim thru part of it but most of that is in the first few pages I think.

Thank you, I will take a look

That's currently the idea. I work with fairly ignorant people who view cannabis in the same regard as meth.(Not kidding) So my biggest fear is having some flower permeate my home and make me smell like weed at work.

During late December-February it will occasionally dip below freezing. I'm assuming from what I've read that may be a deal killer for an outdoor box/tent??

Yeah I have to run a heater in my shed, otherwise they be dead or just quit growing until it warms up, they don't really like it below 50 and closer to 40 it starts messing with them or in my experience anyway.

If your cabinet were large enough to safely house a small electric space heater with built in thermostat you could keep a little shack comfortable enough I would think. Then the next question comes into play and that's, is it worth the electricity to heat it?
Safety is priority #1.

If your cabinet were large enough to safely house a small electric space heater with built in thermostat you could keep a little shack comfortable enough I would think. Then the next question comes into play and that's, is it worth the electricity to heat it?
Safety is priority #1.

Yeah I'm not that comfortable with an unattended heater like that. I guess my next questions would be, would a 2x2x4 tent fit my yield goals? And do those carbon filters actually work to keep that smell from overwhelming a small apartment?

Yeah I'm not that comfortable with an unattended heater like that. I guess my next questions would be, would a 2x2x4 tent fit my yield goals?

It could under the right circumstances with experience. First few grows? Probably not. A 4x2 would be more realistic from the start to achieve those goals (and more with experience.)

You do not want a 4ft height. Short heights, even 5ft, can be a challenge to work with when first starting out. With a minimum of 12" from the top of the plant to the light, you're already down to 3ft. If your container is 8" tall (and most that are of big enough size for a plant are going to be closer to 12" tall), then you're down to only 24" of vertical space for the plant. That means a very short veg, a lot of training, and praying it doesn't stretch more than double.

And do those carbon filters actually work to keep that smell from overwhelming a small apartment?

Yes, with caution and correct air flow.

I say caution because of when you open the tent. There goes your negative air pressure and some smell may escape. Good planning and setup, maybe a backup fan/filter (for the room) can help mitigate that though.

Back
Top Bottom