What's the problem here?

singrow

420 Member
Hi everyone, a friend of mine just sent me these photos, and I do not know how long those plants have been in this situation... Could anybody help me out what could be the problem here? Is this any nutrient defect or have plants got a spider? Any help on what to do is much appreciated.... Thanks

photo_2023-05-23_07-46-34.jpg

photo_2023-05-23_07-46-42.jpg

Could anybody help me out what could be the problem here? Is this any nutrient defect or have plants got a spider?
The answers to the usual questions will help. Are these auto-flower or photo-period plants? How old are the plants and how long ago did flowering start?

Ask your friend what the media is that the plants are growing in. As an example, is it a soil mix or is it a coco coir mix? Also, has he or she been using any sort of nutrient and if so what sort of schedule.

There does look like an insect problem. Typical household spiders are not a problem but what are called "Spider Mites" are a different story. But, I get the feeling that it is not a Mite making all those white-yellow dots. I have not had a Thrips problem but those do look like some of the photographs others have posted of a Thrip infestation.

Ask your friend if they check the pH of the water and if they do what the number is. And, find out if they add calcium or one of the Cal-Mag products.

And, suggest that they clean up the floor. Wipe up the water stains and remove any dead leaves that are laying there. Put the pots in plant saucers to catch the water. There are some really inexpensive clear plastic ones that can be washed out after a grow and will last for awhile. If the water is left on the tents floor it can attract insects and molds after awhile.

Any answers can help with suggestions to the make the next grow look spectacular.

@singrow could be more than one "problem", my friend. Apparently a severe calcium deficiency is not out of the question. If in soil, I would certainly worry about pH being too low. Yes @SmokingWings about the general hygiene and the bugs, if any. What to do? I dunno, but I'd probably start over tbh. Best of luck to your friend... :)

Pretty sure it's a bad Thrip infestation. They only affect unhealthy plants to that degree. Use citric acid spray every 4th day in veg and stop at first flower set. 1tsp per gallon or 1g per liter of water combined with a surfactant like dish soap or even better polysorbate/tween20.

Most problems with a complete plant food are pH related. This plant is overfed with Nitrogen toxicity locking out Calcium and causing pH to be out of range.

Hi all again, thanks a lot for every answer here.

The soil is bat-mix plagron. Not sure about the plant is automatic, but the flowering stage has been reached already 4 weeks ago. Not sure if it's a good idea to spray citric acid now? Bec. the plant is already flowering stage.

My guess is that the plant is heavily trimmed, and bigger leaves that store nitrogen are cut, therefore the nitrogen is overfed through the plant which caused this... What do you guys think?

So from homework is to give calcium(cal-mag) and be precise with the ph of the water... Is there anything else to do?

It doesn't have that extra-dark green look that speaks of nitrogen toxicity. It does seem to be unhappy with its' roots tho, possibly over or under watered? Agree that it may be thrips in addition to probably not enough light. The plant seems super stressed which definitely invites the bugs to come feast

It doesn't have that extra-dark green look that speaks of nitrogen toxicity. It does seem to be unhappy with its' roots tho, possibly over or under watered? Agree that it may be thrips in addition to probably not enough light. The plant seems super stressed which definitely invites the bugs to come feast
I see glossy leaves, clawing and Ca def all indicating to N toxicity? Not enough light? Why would that have anything to do with anything? I can grow green healthy Cannabis plants in the window sill, light intensity has nothing to do with it.

I see glossy leaves, clawing and Ca def all indicating to N toxicity
@Wastei

N toxicity is the best diagnosis I've seen here, thanks. It explains the Ca def. There is some glossy, and yes dark green (maybe not the absolute darkest), and of course the tell-tale clawing. Excess N will do all that.

Other causes of distress are not excluded, such as overwatering. I don't know about light sufficiency, that was imho a window-silly suggestion.

Great problem case!

Back
Top Bottom