When to flip Autos

So tell me do you use nutrients with your autos ? I've only given my plants one very light dosage of the grow big and big bloom.. I'm not sure if I should give them any more or what..

I use the same nutrients for autoflowers and photoperiods ... the only thing that changes is the amount of nutrients based on a feeding schedule and the growth stage the plant is in.

Check this post I just made for for my current grow's feeding schedule for the next few months: The Different Feeds I need For This Grow

Sounds like you are using Fox Farm ... they have a feeding schedule you can follow.

Even if you don't have pictures, you should start a grow journal ... people here will follow you and give you all the help you need.

Hey @Bigsteve ... we typically do not flip autoflowers to 12-12 lighting, they benefit most from 20-4.

Here are some timelines I have developed for autos:

*** Autoflower Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks pre-flower, 3-6 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure
*** Pistels show up about 35 days (5 weeks) after Germination
*** Flowering takes about 56 days (8 weeks) after Pistels show up
So this 20/4 is consistent across that timeline from germ to flowering and even into harvest?

So this 20/4 is consistent across that timeline from germ to flowering and even into harvest?
yes... it is only photoperiod plants that require 12/12 lighting so as to move into the bloom part of the grow. Until you switch to 12/12 a photoperiod plant will continue to veg... even for several months. An auto just doesnt care... it moves to bloom when it wants to, not when the lights tell it to switch, so logically, people give them longer light periods so that they can take more advantage of the extra light and develop faster than a photo period plant ever could do.

Exactly what Emilya said. I’m running 20/4 vs 12/12 for my last Autoflower( long story) and the difference in quality is very noticeable. I mentioned earlier I’m running Autos in the summer to accommodate my hectic spring through fall schedule. I can tend to them twice a day if needed. Late fall through spring I will run Photos since I will be home earlier to accommodate the 12/12 flip.

Exactly what Emilya said. I’m running 20/4 vs 12/12 for my last Autoflower( long story) and the difference in quality is very noticeable. I mentioned earlier I’m running Autos in the summer to accommodate my hectic spring through fall schedule. I can tend to them twice a day if needed. Late through fall through spring I will run Photos since I will be home earlier to accommodate the 12/12 flip.
If using a veg/bloom switch and running this 20/4 schedule when flip it on bloom, I’d imagine 27/35 days or just watch the plant for when it wants to turn> Switch bloom?

If using a veg/bloom switch and running this 20/4 schedule when flip it on bloom, I’d imagine 27/35 days or just watch the plant for when it wants to turn> Switch bloom?
I run the veg light until I start to see pistils. Then I switch to bloom. Use the lights recommended distances. These Autos have a mind of there own, and mature as they please. I have 5 going right now, that all sprung to life within a day of each other. 2 of the 5 vegged 2 1/2 weeks later than the rest. All same pots, soil, etc. They had me a little worried, until their purdy lil pistils showed.

I run the veg light until I start to see pistils. Then I switch to bloom. Use the lights recommended distances. These Autos have a mind of there own, and mature as they please. I have 5 going right now, that all sprung to life within a day of each other. 2 of the 5 vegged 2 1/2 weeks later than the rest. All same pots, soil, etc. They had me a little worried, until their purdy lil pistils showed.

Good point @Jdeck ... I have heard some autoflower strains get pistels as early as 20 days ... while I am on still day 36 and still waiting.

I know studies show that 20-4 lighting is best for autoflowers when compared to 24-0 and 18-6, ... but I just started trying the new theory out there ... 3 cycles of 6-2 to avoid light saturation and to take advantage of the dark cycle. So far progress is normal, and unfortunately I don't have a side-by-side grow with clones to quantify the differences ... but I would like to do that experiment next along with not pHing water in soil.

And for sure ... this is a great community to have a grow journal and share information!!!

Exactly what Emilya said. I’m running 20/4 vs 12/12 for my last Autoflower( long story) and the difference in quality is very noticeable. I mentioned earlier I’m running Autos in the summer to accommodate my hectic spring through fall schedule. I can tend to them twice a day if needed. Late fall through spring I will run Photos since I will be home earlier to accommodate the 12/12 flip.

Good to know ... I made a mistake and found I am running photoperiods and autoflowers together this grow, and I also read that when I flip the photoperiods to 12-12, the autoflowers running under 12-12 will decrease their yield.

No big deal, lesson learned ... and to make the most of it ... I am going to try cloning and growing two photoperiods using the "12-12 from seed" method.

yes... it is only photoperiod plants that require 12/12 lighting so as to move into the bloom part of the grow. Until you switch to 12/12 a photoperiod plant will continue to veg... even for several months. An auto just doesnt care... it moves to bloom when it wants to, not when the lights tell it to switch, so logically, people give them longer light periods so that they can take more advantage of the extra light and develop faster than a photo period plant ever could do.

Great answer @Emilya. There is so much to read here and learn. I am just getting my current grow stabilized, so I should be able to dedicate more time to research ... and your stuff is on my list.

And at some point, I want to run experiments on tap water, not pHing water, and the 6-2 light schedule.

Great answer @Emilya. There is so much to read here and learn. I am just getting my current grow stabilized, so I should be able to dedicate more time to research ... and your stuff is on my list.

And at some point, I want to run experiments on tap water, not pHing water, and the 6-2 light schedule.
Those fan leaves are gonna think they’re at a Catholic Mass. up,down,up,down:rofl:Sorry @SQl2kGuy , I couldn’t resist. That ish is funny.

Good to know ... I made a mistake and found I am running photoperiods and autoflowers together this grow, and I also read that when I flip the photoperiods to 12-12, the autoflowers running under 12-12 will decrease their yield.

No big deal, lesson learned ... and to make the most of it ... I am going to try cloning and growing two photoperiods using the "12-12 from seed" method.
I'm actually dealing with this same problem right now. I had my photoperiod plants going first then started my autos. Since I got pistils starting at day 20, I'm going to let these go all the way till harvest under 18 / 6 then finally make the switch to 12 / 12 for blooming my photoperiods. only problem is I'm already pushing 6 weeks into veg, I have no clue what kind of plant they are but they're staying quite short and bushy so I'm guessing some Indica strain. Which is good so hopefully they won't outgrow my tent being in veg that long. What do you think? also I came home today to my autos having quite a bunch of new growth but they are very light green and kind of starting to twist. They started growing on 6-15-19 so how much nutrients would you typically go with?? Thanks for all the great help, this website sure is Handy with all so informative people on here:passitleft:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190709-171144.png
    Screenshot_20190709-171144.png
    576.3 KB · Views: 120
Back
Top Bottom