When to flip outdoors: advice please

I second Enjoil. When you do get close you'll need to look at trichomes with jewelers loop and Harvest based on color of trichomes. Depending on how you like the high. 25% percent amber is good for me. Trichomes will go from clear to cloudy then start turning amber. Some people will harvest when trichomes are 50% clear and 50% cloudy. The more amber percent the more CBD and the more of a couch lock. Personally I wouldn't harvest until you at least start seeing amber trichomes.
Keep pictures coming. Love to see the progression of your plants. They look great by the way!

Keep pictures coming. Love to see the progression of your plants. They look great by the way!
Thanks, and will do

CB5231DF-C77B-4D94-8FCF-2259F3645D52.jpeg

My crop - two Bubblegum about 14 weeks since seedling in foreground, and a 7-week Alpine Star (CBD) at the back – for those times I don’t want to risk driving.

Just to clarify, amber represents the THC degrading to CBN, which is the cannabinoid that causes couchlock/body stone.
Hi Shed, I've never really felt this thing called "body stone". Maybe I'm missing something good, but drug affect everyone a little differently. What I have found is a nice sedating effect with about 20% amber trichomes. This is entirely subjective, but I find it something nice in the evening. In the past, premature harvesting has produced speedy-paranoia high.

I just tried to link an article from a website called Cannabis Business Times. It came up either on another thread here or on another forum. It deals with the question of how useful P is during flower. If I remember correctly it indicated that P is needed more in veg and during the transition into flowering.

Had to do some digging to find the article. Here it is.

The site has some interesting articles about various subjects. Mostly for a professional cultivation standpoint, but some of it is applicable to us, like their article on flushing.

The only problem with that one is it's low in phosphorus, so a P booster might have been helpful earlier, but I don't think it will do much good this late in the game. I'd feed with this stuff every time though.
I start liquid koolbloom about week3-4 and continue that til about week 7 hit em with the powder koolbloom and hit em with that a couple times and they done. It helps ripening I think.... the switch from the liquid to the powder koolbloom. And yeah my bad I got threads mixed up, I didn’t say anything about using a pk booster to you.

It deals with the question of how useful P is during flower. If I remember correctly it indicated that P is needed more in veg and during the transition into flowering.
Great article! I agree that our plants don't need anywhere near as much P as the manufacturers tell us they do (especially in flower), but I think a 12-2-13 mix is low on P generally.
I didn’t say anything about using a pk booster to you.
I don't recall saying you had.

Hi @Stoneface Jack That was a good article. Thank you for posting it. It presses the point I've been pushing for a while, "What do we really know". There's a lot of commercial assertion and home grower conjecture. I think theres likely a lot of proprietary research going on, but we as home growers will not be privy to those results. Some of those numbers will be difficult for the home gardener to work with. Eg: ppm of 1 single element (K)

One of the ideas I've been considering is there really a need for such frequent fertilizing, with daily watering. During vegetative growth I've been using a high concentration NPK into a pretty generic potting mix, once every 7to10 days (outdoors). Straight water in between as needed. Net result, lush 2m tall plants.

Usually I back off 50% on fertilizing once flowering starts, but here's the rub. As long as we provide the minimum that the plant requires, and don't exceed excessively, causing either toxicity or elemental lockout, as in their comments re: K Ca Mg, then there are no magic ratios like the Cannabis Nutrient industry is trying to sell.

In two days I have to fly interstate for five days. I think I will trim a few early harvest buds just in case, but I reckon the two plants are definitely too early to harvest ...agreed? A few trichomes are whitish, and even one or two on the small leaves have turned amber, but most are crystal clear. Just a bit worried that seven days from now I might have missed the THC window and I’ll be in CBD territory. Any thoughts appreciated

(I also have watering and drying-time issues for both the unharvested and the harvested weed. Does five days sound too long for drying before I place in jars? Moderately humid here)
8A5DFA7C-371C-4584-9D93-F5799C423195.jpeg
2ADAE53C-E60A-4FC1-8749-96D737FE305A.jpeg
980986C3-2BA1-4D17-86F2-00B48BAD8263.jpeg
CA550E45-2368-4AED-9405-DD81348E6020.jpeg
FDCBED94-3578-4FA5-AC94-156C458FA87D.jpeg
E99A7ECD-FBDF-49D0-8E54-87656EC5C89A.jpeg

Last drying I let go for 13/14 days. Five days sounds too fast for sure. Chlorophyll degrades during the first 3/4 days of drying. If your buds dry too fast they'll have that grassy cheap 70s Homegrown taste and be harsh. If you can keep temperatures to 19/20c and Rh at 55% you'll have a good drying period. Hanging the plants either whole, or in large sections helps slow the drying too.

I think you will be fine not harvesting before your trip.
Just a bit worried that seven days from now I might have missed the THC window and I’ll be in CBD territory. Any thoughts appreciated
For the record, THC degrades to CBN not CBD. CBN is the cannabinoid responsible for body stone/couch lock. CBD can't be generated by a plant not designed to have much, just by letting it get overripe.
Does five days sound too long for drying before I place in jars? Moderately humid here)
I rarely hang for as long as PaleSun did, but five days is too short if you can go longer. The longer you hang without overdrying, the less time you need to spend burping the jars.

Back
Top Bottom