Supplementary feeding needed for these little guys?

Trustyrusty

Advice please.

Bubblegum seedlings after a couple of weeks. They are planted in the Coco Peat shown and I’m wondering: can I grow these up to transplant-into-bigger-pot stage (about two weeks away I suppose) without supplementary feeding? Or is this enriched Coco Peat giving them enough nutrients?

Plan is to transplant into potting mix and then supplement feed through to end.

I’m growing outdoors and watering with rain water. The upturned holders are to support the seedlings, one was lying down. They work better upside down - lost two seeds planted in them due to overwatering

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

DB7308B1-8CF8-4447-B032-E007989B86D9.jpeg

8D32F1E2-C29B-439B-B44C-9AC05287E79A.jpeg

Hey Trusty,

Welcome to 420.

Peat is totally inert, same for coco. Inert meaning there are no NPK nutrients in either one to grow a plant. Your soil mix is enriched with calcium & magnesium but not the NPK. You can run for a short period of time but the plants are going to need more. The lack of NPK is why they are very light green - the plants are showing they are hungry.

Technically you are still doing a soilless grow, soilless is different from soil. For soilless hydro rules apply. I’d be looking at getting some nutes for your plants but in the meantime I’m going to ask @NuttyProfessor to tag in. Its late in the evening here now but don’t change a thing until we get some serious help for you.

Hey Trusty,

Welcome to 420.

Peat is totally inert, same for coco. Inert meaning there are no NPK nutrients in either one to grow a plant. Your soil mix is enriched with calcium & magnesium but not the NPK. You can run for a short period of time but the plants are going to need more. The lack of NPK is why they are very light green - the plants are showing they are hungry.

Technically you are still doing a soilless grow, soilless is different from soil. For soilless hydro rules apply. I’d be looking at getting some nutes for your plants but in the meantime I’m going to ask @NuttyProfessor to tag in. Its late in the evening here now but don’t change a thing until we get some serious help for you.
spot on :thumb:

I looked at it earlier. Tells you pretty much everything but what’s actually in it. I think it’s regular soluble nutes -organically derived. I had to look quite a while before I spotted the NPK. 8-3-6

That is the back label of the Coco Peat, pictured above.

Yes, Nitrosol is organic, containing NKP (see below)

Interested to know why organic can‘t be used with Coco Peat NP. Still learning here. Cheers mate.

FF1C0016-54DC-4A9D-A2D2-C4C7535875EC.jpeg
B47522B8-0AA9-418D-B143-9597F5ECC74C.jpeg

It’s sort of a weird looking NPK mix though.
12.3 - 1.9 - 12.1. With 1.3 % calcium and no mention of magnesium though that might be in the ‘trace elements’. I don’t think it will be ideal especially when it comes to flowering- but maybe some of those ratios aren’t the way they look because of the organic elements (?).

Know anyone else who grows dope with it?

Peat moss coco mixes It can be used both styles organic and synthetic , but some ph lower or higher , higher is your feeding the medium for microbes organic , synthetic is feeding the roots direct to plants salt based needs a lower ph to be come available for the plants ,
im i on the ball here ? @ Weaselcracker

It’s mentioned in these forums. I’m planning on switching to a product called Powerfeed for the flowering stage.

I’ve gone ahead and fed the little guys above with a weak Nitrosol mix; hopefully they will recover from 2 weeks with no food except for the calcium and magnesium in the Coco Peat.

It’s a weird looking NPK mix and I’m pretty sure you’d get issues down the road if you tried to get through flowering with it- but these plants are usually forgiving -especially in veg.

I’d just make sure to go lightly with it to start. It’s got a high nitrogen content. Yes your plants should be happy to have some sort of real food :)

Back
Top Bottom