When to flush and harvest runt auto?

kisshell

This is the 25th day of flower for this stunted sugar cookies auto.
Do I have to wait the full 2 months of flowering for harvest?
The tops are good but the lower 3 small nodes haven't put weight yet.
Giving them flowering nutes every other watering cycle.

Also, when should I start flushing the plant?

20220531_132518.jpg

20220531_132459.jpg

20220531_132440.jpg

Yes, you need to wait, still too many white pistils. Unless you have a nute lockout, flushing is unnecessary and counter productive. You do appear to have some issues with the yellowing leaves. What is your media and what are you feeding?
This was a very bad medium. I am using oscomote tomato slow fert medium.
I am just ignoring the slow fert and giving it organic liquid.
Not sure why it the leaf are turning yellow.
I ph water to 6.3.

Kinda looks like it needs N, or it’s locked out. But with the osmocote I don’t know how you’d flush?
I have given up on the perfect nutes for this medium.

How many more weeks do you think I should wait. Does all the pistil have to disappear?
This is my first flower so have no idea how it works. According to my calculation from the website the timeline for this plant ends in about 2 weeks. Is that good time to harvest this?

A good time to harvest a cannabis plant is... when it is ready. Get some kind of strong magnifier device (they can by found on (sc)Amazon for around ten bucks and up), and start viewing the trichomes on the flowers in a couple, three weeks, thereabouts. Specifically, the trichome heads. Milky/cloudy = peak potency, clear = immature, and amber = degraded / past the point of peak potency. They don't all form at the same time, so there'll be some at different stages. Basically, shoot for as many cloudy as possible (which won't be 100%). And remember, the ones on the flowers.

That, plus a long slow dry, and cure will give you the maximum enjoyment of the fruits of your labor, lol.

A good time to harvest a cannabis plant is... when it is ready. Get some kind of strong magnifier device (they can by found on (sc)Amazon for around ten bucks and up), and start viewing the trichomes on the flowers in a couple, three weeks, thereabouts. Specifically, the trichome heads. Milky/cloudy = peak potency, clear = immature, and amber = degraded / past the point of peak potency. They don't all form at the same time, so there'll be some at different stages. Basically, shoot for as many cloudy as possible (which won't be 100%). And remember, the ones on the flowers.

That, plus a long slow dry, and cure will give you the maximum enjoyment of the fruits of your labor, lol.
Thanks mate.
I actually already got the scope. Used it few weeks ago but couldn't tell if it's white or milky. I just need a little experience

Thanks mate.
I actually already got the scope. Used it few weeks ago but couldn't tell if it's white or milky. I just need a little experience

It can be a challenge, especially if your hands aren't steady, you have vision issues, and the magnification device ends up being a POSwith a very narrow field of view. Yeah, even if none of that applies, it's one of those things that can require some practice to become profecient at. Good light helps, whether it's on the device itself, a separate light source, or both - and it seems to help to have something handheld that you can shine onto your subject from first one angle, and then another. <SHRUGS> And you do the best you can, maybe chop some when it looks right, and the rest another day. Either because that part didn't look ready, you wanted to compare samples taken at different stages of development, or even because you weren't entirely sure about what you were seeing. Take notes, then if you grow that same strain again in the future, you'll have some kind of reference. Plus the general knowledge/ experience.

Pretty buds !! You’re certainly in “the range” of chopping. Hard to say for certain without trichrome pics, but almost all the pistils have turned. It’s your call. Me personally, I’d wait a couple weeks until the lower buds mature and pull all at once. Just keep the eagle eye out for bud rot.

You can cut a tiny bit off, preheat your oven to 140°F, turn it off, place the piece of bud on something like a non-plastic plate, put the plate on an oven rack in the upper third of the oven, and prop the oven door open two or three inches. Wait for the oven to cool to room temperature, remove the plate, and repeat. Do this several times, until the piece seems to be dry. Wait half an hour, and if it no longer seems dry, repeat again, etc.

Then break it up and smoke, via your normal method.

I don't recommend this - but I've done it. It'll give you a half-@ssed idea of whether the plant, or at least that general portion of the plant, is ready to harvest. And, if anyone asks you WtH you're doing, don't tell them I suggested it. . . .

You can cut a tiny bit off, preheat your oven to 140°F, turn it off, place the piece of bud on something like a non-plastic plate, put the plate on an oven rack in the upper third of the oven, and prop the oven door open two or three inches. Wait for the oven to cool to room temperature, remove the plate, and repeat. Do this several times, until the piece seems to be dry. Wait half an hour, and if it no longer seems dry, repeat again, etc.

Then break it up and smoke, via your normal method.

I don't recommend this - but I've done it. It'll give you a half-@ssed idea of whether the plant, or at least that general portion of the plant, is ready to harvest. And, if anyone asks you WtH you're doing, don't tell them I suggested it. . . .
Thanks mate. I am gona try this but may be wait a few days. So this would be ready to smoke in one day ?
So put it in the oven and take it out. Then pre heat the oven to 140 again ? And do the same process? Just making sure

So this would be ready to smoke in one day ?

The slightly Tortured sample? Yes. Possibly under an hour, lol, depending on its initial moisture content. Remember, you're only working with a sample, and one that is going to be less than a gram when it's dry. You should only need enough to for a few hits... as in three or four. If your usual smoking device is a 16" long Gandalf pipe with a 2" diameter bowl, lol, go get one of those little metal $5 pipes that look like they were hand-assembled from 3/8" OD lamp rod and a couple fittings back in the '70s from the nearest head shop.

So put it in the oven and take it out. Then pre heat the oven to 140 again ? And do the same process? Just making sure

Yes. I used 140°F because that's the lowest temperature setting I see on most "newer" kitchen oven thermostat knobs. Mine has a date of 1962 (IIRC), and its lowest setting is 120°F, but that seems to be sort of rare these days. Some older ovens had a mark for 120°F, a mark for 170°F, and the zone between them was labelled "Keep Warm," because that's what a lot of people used those temperatures for - when they were cooking supper for a lot of people, they wouldn't have enough burners on top for everything, and/or the thing they were baking might finish earlier than the other stuff... so they used the oven, towards the end of the meal preparation, to keep things warm enough to serve until everything else was ready, too.

I have seen ONE oven that actually labelled its lowest settings as "Drying." And that's what you'd be using it for. A lot of ovens, well, they're not the most accurate devices ever invented. Therefore, it's best to use the lowest setting (or one very close to it) for this, because you could actually end up with an oven that's up to 25°F hotter than what you've set it for (with older ones, at least, the thermostat could be adjusted, but the only person I've ever known to do so was my mother - and I haven't seen or heard her mention doing so for about 40 years - so this might no longer be the case). But, hopefully, your oven thermostat will be reasonably accurate.

The interior of an automobile, when the windows are closed, can reach temperatures approaching 140°F, during Summer. I've left a baggie of bud in a vehicle for hours before. It's still smokable. Probably didn't do it any favors, but it seemed like a better idea of carrying an entire (work-)day's worth in my pocket or running out and being forced to deal with all the (other) ****s without being chemically altered - which made for a long afternoon ;) .

Let's see... The reason for having the door propped open while the sample is in the oven is so that evaporated moisture exits, and rapidly. I would place the bud on a rack that's positioned slightly above the halfway point because mine is a gas oven, meaning the burner is directly underneath the bottom of the "box," so the lower I placed the bud, the hotter it would be (and I wanted to dry it, not cook it). And I never, ever, left the bud in there when reheating the oven because most of them (IDK about the fancy new electric ones that talk to you... when my appliances start trying to converse with me, I figure I'm on something other than cannabis - and go outside to enjoy myself :rofl: ) used a simple gas burner assembly that was either "MAXIMUM HEAT" or off; they'd fire full-blast until the temperature sensor - wherever it's at in the box - reached the target temperature, then shut off until the temperature sensor was cool enough to indicate another blast of (again, maximum) heat was necessary to reheat the oven. Kind of like microwave ovens were until recently (and the cheaper ones still are). Pop something in there and set it to cook for a minute at 100% power, and that's what it does. Set it for a minute at 50% power, however, and that's not what actually happens. Instead, it still runs at 100% power - for only 50% of the time, cycling on/off every few seconds (you can usually hear it cycle, if you stand beside it and listen). Anyway, what you're doing is basically heating the box and the air within it. Turn off the oven, place the sample in there, the bud warms up, its moisture begins to evaporate while the oven slowly cools. Rinse/lather/repeat until it's dry enough to smoke.

If you ever have to do this often enough to get good at it, well, you're doing it too much, lol. But practice will tell you how far to have the door open. A couple inches, one inch, something like that. You're really just greatly slowing the time it takes for the oven to cool off, otherwise you could leave it all the way open.

You are dehydrating your sample. People dehydrate food in their ovens by using the lowest setting. They do things a little differently, because they're not dehydrating a fraction of a gram at a time. And because they're not going to be close by, babysitting the operation. Also... because some of the things that give cannabis its scents and flavors can evaporate at relatively low temperatures, and it's nice to keep as many of them as you can, yeah?

Remember, the key word here is "sample." Don't use this process to dry your harvest :rolleyes: . . . .

The slightly Tortured sample? Yes. Possibly under an hour, lol, depending on its initial moisture content. Remember, you're only working with a sample, and one that is going to be less than a gram when it's dry. You should only need enough to for a few hits... as in three or four. If your usual smoking device is a 16" long Gandalf pipe with a 2" diameter bowl, lol, go get one of those little metal $5 pipes that look like they were hand-assembled from 3/8" OD lamp rod and a couple fittings back in the '70s from the nearest head shop.

Yes. I used 140°F because that's the lowest temperature setting I see on most "newer" kitchen oven thermostat knobs. Mine has a date of 1962 (IIRC), and its lowest setting is 120°F, but that seems to be sort of rare these days. Some older ovens had a mark for 120°F, a mark for 170°F, and the zone between them was labelled "Keep Warm," because that's what a lot of people used those temperatures for - when they were cooking supper for a lot of people, they wouldn't have enough burners on top for everything, and/or the thing they were baking might finish earlier than the other stuff... so they used the oven, towards the end of the meal preparation, to keep things warm enough to serve until everything else was ready, too.

I have seen ONE oven that actually labelled its lowest settings as "Drying." And that's what you'd be using it for. A lot of ovens, well, they're not the most accurate devices ever invented. Therefore, it's best to use the lowest setting (or one very close to it) for this, because you could actually end up with an oven that's up to 25°F hotter than what you've set it for (with older ones, at least, the thermostat could be adjusted, but the only person I've ever known to do so was my mother - and I haven't seen or heard her mention doing so for about 40 years - so this might no longer be the case). But, hopefully, your oven thermostat will be reasonably accurate.

The interior of an automobile, when the windows are closed, can reach temperatures approaching 140°F, during Summer. I've left a baggie of bud in a vehicle for hours before. It's still smokable. Probably didn't do it any favors, but it seemed like a better idea of carrying an entire (work-)day's worth in my pocket or running out and being forced to deal with all the (other) ****s without being chemically altered - which made for a long afternoon ;) .

Let's see... The reason for having the door propped open while the sample is in the oven is so that evaporated moisture exits, and rapidly. I would place the bud on a rack that's positioned slightly above the halfway point because mine is a gas oven, meaning the burner is directly underneath the bottom of the "box," so the lower I placed the bud, the hotter it would be (and I wanted to dry it, not cook it). And I never, ever, left the bud in there when reheating the oven because most of them (IDK about the fancy new electric ones that talk to you... when my appliances start trying to converse with me, I figure I'm on something other than cannabis - and go outside to enjoy myself :rofl: ) used a simple gas burner assembly that was either "MAXIMUM HEAT" or off; they'd fire full-blast until the temperature sensor - wherever it's at in the box - reached the target temperature, then shut off until the temperature sensor was cool enough to indicate another blast of (again, maximum) heat was necessary to reheat the oven. Kind of like microwave ovens were until recently (and the cheaper ones still are). Pop something in there and set it to cook for a minute at 100% power, and that's what it does. Set it for a minute at 50% power, however, and that's not what actually happens. Instead, it still runs at 100% power - for only 50% of the time, cycling on/off every few seconds (you can usually hear it cycle, if you stand beside it and listen). Anyway, what you're doing is basically heating the box and the air within it. Turn off the oven, place the sample in there, the bud warms up, its moisture begins to evaporate while the oven slowly cools. Rinse/lather/repeat until it's dry enough to smoke.

If you ever have to do this often enough to get good at it, well, you're doing it too much, lol. But practice will tell you how far to have the door open. A couple inches, one inch, something like that. You're really just greatly slowing the time it takes for the oven to cool off, otherwise you could leave it all the way open.

You are dehydrating your sample. People dehydrate food in their ovens by using the lowest setting. They do things a little differently, because they're not dehydrating a fraction of a gram at a time. And because they're not going to be close by, babysitting the operation. Also... because some of the things that give cannabis its scents and flavors can evaporate at relatively low temperatures, and it's nice to keep as many of them as you can, yeah?

Remember, the key word here is "sample." Don't use this process to dry your harvest :rolleyes: . . . .
Thanks for the detailed explanation. This would be perfect for one weekend as I am running out and broke to get more until next paycheck.

Uh... "sample" ≠ weekend.

:rolleyes::thedoubletake::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom