Where to buy seeds and best germination method?

kneegrow

I usually buy seeds from herbiesshop, But i've notice more than 50% do not actually germinate, with me needing at least 4 seeds to start things off it's costing me quite a lot. I've tried placing the seeds in just water for 24-48 hours and also tried the wet paper method, Both have same sort of success rate with herbies seeds, Am i doing something wrong? they're kept in a self heated propegator in a dark tent 25c is the max temperature 19 being the lowest

I like to do the paper towel placed in a zip lock bag with two plates covering them. Easy and it works. Also if you had a very small amount of nutes to the water they bust open!

Hi Kneegrow, I order from CropKing. I've made 2 orders so far and have had good service and you get 10% off your next order. Success rate for germination has been about 80%. I was having trouble using the paper towel method and I started wondering if perhaps all paper towels are not created equal--meaning that I questioned whether some paper towels had more active chemicals in them that might kill or at least hamper growth. So I switched to a piece of old, soft flannel cotton folded over the seeds. I place the cotton inside a plastic baggie with some water. You might try that---also make sure your temps are nice and warm like 80 F or so---even room temperature seems to slow them down. Also, CropKing says to always soak your seeds for 24 hours first. Bon chance!

I was having trouble using the paper towel method and I started wondering if perhaps all paper towels are not created equal--meaning that I questioned whether some paper towels had more active chemicals in them that might kill or at least hamper growth. So I switched to a piece of old, soft flannel cotton folded over the seeds.

Woah, blowin my mind over here with that thought.

I usually buy seeds from herbiesshop, But i've notice more than 50% do not actually germinate, with me needing at least 4 seeds to start things off it's costing me quite a lot. I've tried placing the seeds in just water for 24-48 hours and also tried the wet paper method, Both have same sort of success rate with herbies seeds, Am i doing something wrong? they're kept in a self heated propegator in a dark tent 25c is the max temperature 19 being the lowest

I'd be pissed if I bought seeds that only had a 50% germination rate without them telling me about it. Most (vegetable and flower) seed companies give you sample germination rates with each batch of seed you purchase from them and generally are very accurate. In terms of cannabis seed, I've only had a dud every once in a while (at the very least, 85-90%germ). You can do the float test with them to get a better idea of which ones might not germinate (I'm not sure whether you want floaters or sinkers, never done it), but I'm sure its not 100% accurate. You might end up tossing a viable seed. My suggestion: only use reputable seed banks, you can generally trust the one's sponsored by high times. They can get a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. And that's not to say, you can't be pleasantly surprised by the odd and off seed bank, but your taking a risk.

Yeah, iwltfum, I started to think about that when I used to use a folded paper towel as a coffee filter in my machine when I ran out of proper filters. The coffee always tasted weird and I figured for sure some chems were passing into the coffee. So new life inside of a cracked seed...maybe getting fried by some kind of bleaching agent in the paper...Who knows?

I should say too that my success rate has been best with the cloth and it just feels more natural...I save the square of cloth and re-use it.

Scarifying the seeds (by putting them in a matches box with a piece of sand paper and shaking vigorously) helps with germination. Also keeping a seed submerged in water for too long is not really a good idea., as seeds have a limited supply of oxygen and may drown and be rendered unviable.
The napkin method has some risk too, because sometimes napkins are scented. Also if you wait too long to remove the sprouted seeds, you may damage micro roots and cause stress to the seedling. That being said I have had succes with the napkin method.
The method I use is scarification, followed by a 6-8 hrs soak in water and then straight into the medium they will grow in.
I have had a very high succes rate with that method, but it is by no means the only method nor the best there is.
Nirvana seeds are cheap and have a very high germination rate.
Good luck and keep us posted.

So do you think maybe it's something i have done, Maybe re buy the seeds and only keep them in water for 8-10 hours the try the paper towel?

So do you think maybe it's something i have done, Maybe re buy the seeds and only keep them in water for 8-10 hours then try the paper towel?
Not really, sometimes seeds are not good or were exposed to high temperatures or humidity during shipping lowering the germination rates. I just wanted to bring to your attention those details, because they made a huge difference for me as far as success rate. The temperatures ranges you are mentioning are ok, the only thing I would change from your method would be soaking for 12 hrs or less instead of 24-48 hrs

I'd be pissed if I bought seeds that only had a 50% germination rate without them telling me about it. Most (vegetable and flower) seed companies give you sample germination rates with each batch of seed you purchase from them and generally are very accurate. In terms of cannabis seed, I've only had a dud every once in a while (at the very least, 85-90%germ). You can do the float test with them to get a better idea of which ones might not germinate (I'm not sure whether you want floaters or sinkers, never done it), but I'm sure its not 100% accurate. You might end up tossing a viable seed. My suggestion: only use reputable seed banks, you can generally trust the one's sponsored by high times. They can get a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. And that's not to say, you can't be pleasantly surprised by the odd and off seed bank, but your taking a risk.
You want to keep the ones that sink, but don't toss the floaters; try to germinate them to see if they survive.
It is my experience that seeds that float wont sprout, or will be sickly... that being said I actually make an active effort to make them sink by pushing them down with my finger, as sometimes they continue to float because of the surface tension of water.
Seeds that are kept too long in water turn dark and rot/ferment.
I agree with iwltfum about the reputable seed banks; although I get mines from nirvana and they are not that much of a very reputable bank (great customer service and cheap prices, fast delivery; still a lot of people swear their seeds are crap)

It's something you are doing wrong somewhere. I have a 95-100% germ rate using herbie, and nirvana. I soak for 24 hrs then in a wet papertowel till I see the tap root then into coco it goes. All that sandpaper and buying from different seed banks will not help unless you find out your mistakes..

Herbies is my favorite. Good prices, great selection, nice freebies.

I germinate using cycled organic soil in a party cup with drain holes drilled in the bottom. Pop seed in about 1 knuckle deep, put under CFL lights, wait a few days, and I have a new baby. Have a 90% plus succes rate with Herbie's seeds and this method. Listen to what everyone tells you and find what work best for you, then stick with it and perfect it. I used to use jiffy pots but they dried out way to fast and I found party cups hold their moisture much better. I theorize that jiffy pots lose moisture from all angles while party cups only lose it from the top.

I've only sprouted 6 seeds, but had 100% success rate. What three things cause seeds to germinate? Heat, darkness, and water. I can't remember where I found this method, but it consists of 2 containers, sponges, an aquarium heater, and water. This will cost you like $7.

1. Moist the 2 sponges, squeeze. until stops dripping.
2. Put the seeds between the sponges.
3. Put the seed sandwich in the small sandwich container.
4. Fill the larger container with water, put the aquarium heater in the water and set to 75°F.
5. Float the smaller container in the water.
6. Wait 24-72 hours & transplant into medium of choice.

If you have an easier way to support those 3 things, then do that!

Understanding what is actually going on and why you do the crazy things to germinate seeds is the real reason many fail at germination, water must leak into the plant thru its outer shell, to start the growing process ..theres many reasons why this ain't gonna work, germination gives us the grower, the knowledge that we are going to have an actual plant soon!
and that we may plane the grow ahead

1: I soak my seed in a glass of water with a pinch of bleach, to kill viri spores, TMV? for 8 hours

2: Then to the wet kitchen towel for 24 hours or more all at 25C/77F

3: Should I be getting any old seeds , I first scarify them , with sandpaper in the coffee cup and shake, until the seeds are lightly sanded to get water into the seed

good luck ...Oh I shop at Herbies too

Well guys, I've just used the simple paper method for a different strain removing the method of leaving in water, Within 48 hours they're ready to put into a pot and hopefully ready to take outside within a week or 2

Back
Top Bottom