Germination

I don't suppose you have that damp paper towel sitting right on the heat mat do you? That would probably cook them. I know it would on my heat mat. A Styrofoam plate is a great buffer against getting too hot on the mat.

The mentioning of scarification surprises me, haven't heard about that since college. Glad its still being taught, very useful.

I will never start seeds in paper towels again, only after a good long soak. Last 9 seeds have all germinated that method, and are doing well. Once root is 1/2 in or more, then its right into promix. Different methods seem to work better for some, but I see more people agreeing on the 24hr soak before paper towel method.

Can't wait to see your sprouted little babies on here. Good luck.

What is the process of scarifiation, is it simple, what are pros and con's

Thank you
Steve

Best to Google it, see the many options

I put seeds in a rolled up sandpaper and shake it for a few minutes, finger on each end of tube it creats

I've also rubbed the seed edge, seam, on sandpaper on some really stubborn Kilimanjaro seeds

Scarification is a slight scratching/removal of a bit of seed coating....happens in nature when a bird or other animal eats the seed, and poops it out. Digestion removed the seed coating.

Stratification is the process of freezing or chilling the seed....happens in nature during winter

Not all seeds require this, but it is a natural process

Haven't heard anything about it in years, as its not common for home gardening

for 100% success do this.

Take some paper towel folded several times, pour boiling water over and wring out so damp but not wet. place seeds on, cover with more paper towel prepared the same way. place in a tuppaware tub or between couple plates. Place in a plastic bag and place somewhere dark and warm. do not touch or look at them for mon 72hours. they will be germinated then.

No need to soak, dont ph water. I have germinated thousands and thousands of seeds this way, will give as close to 100% as possible.

for 100% success do this.

Take some paper towel folded several times, pour boiling water over and wring out so damp but not wet. place seeds on, cover with more paper towel prepared the same way. place in a tuppaware tub or between couple plates. Place in a plastic bag and place somewhere dark and warm. do not touch or look at them for mon 72hours. they will be germinated then.

No need to soak, dont ph water. I have germinated thousands and thousands of seeds this way, will give as close to 100% as possible.

You say to keep warm. My home is usually 70 to 72 during day and drops to mId 60s fro midnight to 6am. Is this adequate?

I suggest you but them elsewhere, the breeder is the best way, don't support single seed, breeders don't sell single seed packets.. mr nice seeds auctions is the cheapest place to buy seeds with some of the best genetics on the market..

Plant seeds straight into soil and add water.. you not going to get higher germination rate with any option you use, if your sticking to the fundamentals required, moisture and warmth..

On top of the Beer fridge mine runs warm up there, but cool inside.. i soak on water till they sink, means water has penetrated, then into rockwool..

I soak in water for 24-36hrs ish, I usually see the seeds crack, then into paper towels

You may try placing the damp towel in a Ziploc bag, and onto a warm surface like cable box, not too warm, like 82deg ish
This has helped me with some tuff seeds
Also scruffing them with sandpaper can help also
just posted a new post about this - thanks for information I even got a small stick match box and lined with 160 grit - put seed in an shake for 60 seconds I lost 8 seeds no germination - now I have 3 soaking now for 24 hrs and they are just starting to crack and see some tap root - SO - finish with a paper towel soak ? I one let seed in water too long it will kill them so I wonder it one can get a 1/2 inch tap root whi8le soaking in water vs paper towel - then plant in soil. Any addition info will help

Back
Top Bottom