Germination methods?

greenjeans

What do you guys prefer?? Is there any reason to germinate in wet paper towel vs placing directly into grow medium?? I have been experimenting with the WPT method just to see if the sprout comes out the end or the side but then fiddling around with the new born seems kind of rough.
Thoughts??

I do a water soak for a day, once the "tails" are out, into a rapid rooter. I take the rapid rooter, and turn it upside down so the flat part is down. Poke a little hole in the top, add the seed. If the hole doesn't self heal, I'll pinch a tiny piece off the bottom edge to cover it.

Then it's under the dome and onto a temp controlled heat mat.

It's not so much about what other people prefer, it's about what works for you.

Personal preference really (or a find what works best for you and stick with it), I damage more doing the paper towel method so I just soak for around 24 hours and then right into my soil personally.

Personally preference, a lot of ways to skin a cat and all that.

I will say this. Most people that seem to have germination issues do so with the paper towel method. that works well for some but you gotta know how moist to make the towel and I think that leads to issues.

I go straight to soil or rapid rooters, let nature do its thing. Sometimes organic soils can make the seed disappear or so I've read.

I always use Jiffy pellets now, so easy to use and no failures.
Just soak the dry pellet in tap water for 15 minutes, dig a 1cm deep hole with a toothpick, put the dry seed in crater up, cover and mist. Then check every day, usually up in 2 days, rarely 5 days. Once the head is up, plant the whole pellet in the medium of your choice.
up already.jpg

I seem to get 100% germination when they are in my composting worm bin - so - my next experiment will be to get the seeds good and damp, placed between a couple of small pieces of wet paper towel, then placed with the perfect "volcano" facing up in the soil. That way, no handling or shock from moving.

I'm a direct into soil kinda girl. I usually have great success with it but I also make sure the environment is good as well and that the pods I use are wet :high-five: place in the dome, lights out for 2 nights, and lights on, bam
There ya go!

I do wpt method but only wpt I dont sock seed I spray the paper towel just making it wet to touch seeds go in middle then in a baggie and under a plate. Then I checked in the morning and afternoon make sure towel still wet in two days they look like this
20200207_124308.jpg
20200207_124635.jpg

Then I use tweezers and put them about 1" in the soil water 1 table spoon twice a day the next day I have this
20200208_202350.jpg
then your off to the races 3 days from seed

I wet a sheet of paper towel fold in on half twic, put seeds in and fold once more and place in an open ziplock baggie, I read that airflow was important for germination. And then I like to wait a day or two after they pop to move them
C7D43C8E-C3A8-4816-949C-B9A6CA3BADD6.jpeg
16A92B2F-80FB-4039-BD43-F74239F98A24.jpeg
E76AD352-0220-4FFD-87D6-450E0986975B.jpeg

I just left her on the counter top kinda forgot about it, as I don’t really intend to grow these out. But checked in on them. Just now
D599A871-D153-49E7-874A-17083BA7206F.jpeg

63F7E3ED-448D-489A-BAE4-10F048817DF8.jpeg

I do a water soak for a day, once the "tails" are out, into a rapid rooter. I take the rapid rooter, and turn it upside down so the flat part is down. Poke a little hole in the top, add the seed. If the hole doesn't self heal, I'll pinch a tiny piece off the bottom edge to cover it.

Then it's under the dome and onto a temp controlled heat mat.

It's not so much about what other people prefer, it's about what works for you.

THis ^^^ exactly what I do. Pretty close to 420% germination then I proceed to muck them up....

Okay another update,
435103F6-0D41-46A6-818E-85EB60488842.jpeg
notice how seeds were naturally shed, although ready for transplanting, I will see how they are tomorrow;) I like a lil more root structure before planting

Really I would of planted those already
I think Scottie has to wait for the permafrost!!! :rofl: That being said, that sure looks like a long root to try to fiddle with, and with my habit of dropping things they would be doomed in my hands.
But I am sure glad of all the tips I'm getting - :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom